Not sure if AYC is working correctly or not...

aiKzo6

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Aiks
Drive
'98 Galant VR4
Only asking because it's something that I've noticed recently. If it had always been this way from moment I bought the car, I wouldnt be concerned.
I generally drive pretty hard, and up until recently, i've always found the Galant to be fairly taily (more likely to oversteer than understeer). Now it feels like the rear singles out a lot and judging by the rapid wear of my LHR tyre, I'm quite sure it is. My AYC lights in the dash work perfectly and there are no strange noises. Is this normal operation since the diff is effectively an open centre?
I figured it would be better for me to fix this sooner than later if it is a genuine issue, whether I need to service the AYC or replace it with an LSD.
Thanks in advance!

Kaldek

2 AYC Bars
Premium Member
First Name
Ed
Drive
2000 Legnum VR4 Manual, Ford Territory family runabout, BMW K1300R.
Mate mine just digs in and grips.

Kaldek

2 AYC Bars
Premium Member
First Name
Ed
Drive
What do your AYC lights do when you drive hard into a corner? Do they "bar up" as they say?

Darkhorse

Hesitantly Boosting
First Name
Doug
Drive
Legnum
How much power? My legnum doesn't seem to break traction ever with 189 killawasps and 235 s

aiKzo6

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Aiks
Drive
'98 Galant VR4
Yep. They bar up turning hard. It grips well in the dry but in the wet it can get pretty loose. Not sure how much power. Never been dynoed. 235/45R17 semi slicks.

Kaldek

2 AYC Bars
Premium Member
First Name
Ed
Drive
How much power? My legnum doesn't seem to break traction ever with 189 killawasps and 235 s
I can break traction - hell I can chirp the tyres shifting into second. I've got shitty Chinese tyres on mine, but I often wonder if it's helping keep my AYC diff alive thanks to the tyres breaking traction instead of loading up the diff.

Feck knows what power it's putting out right now. I've dicked around with it a lot since it was last tuned.

Xoxide

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Reece
Drive
'98 Legnum
The way AYC behaves seems to vary quite a lot, depending on things like suspension setup (stiffness, damper, travel, ride height), wheel alignment settings, tyre choice, how much weight you're carrying etc
On factory springs and narrow street tyres (borderline semi-slicks) My Legnum had lots of body roll and would understeer when cornering hard. AYC response was very linear and predictable. After switching to aggressive coilovers and getting a fresh set of rubber, It became a totally different car and I basically had to learn how to drive it all over again.
The problem I run into now is the car digs in so well, It doesn't break traction when It sometimes should be, which has a huge impact on the way AYC behaves. It's most noticeable on quick direction changes when you put a lot of sudden load on the AYC instead of easing into it.
A couple times in the past where I've taken a roundabout too quick or sharp, the front has dug in and I'll actually lift the rear inner tyre off the ground.

In saying that, I'd be getting your alignment checked by a professional as that can be a common cause of sudden changes in tyre wear and handling.

aiKzo6

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Aiks
Drive
'98 Galant VR4
The way AYC behaves seems to vary quite a lot, depending on things like suspension setup (stiffness, damper, travel, ride height), wheel alignment settings, tyre choice, how much weight you're carrying etc
On factory springs and narrow street tyres (borderline semi-slicks) My Legnum had lots of body roll and would understeer when cornering hard. AYC response was very linear and predictable. After switching to aggressive coilovers and getting a fresh set of rubber, It became a totally different car and I basically had to learn how to drive it all over again.
The problem I run into now is the car digs in so well, It doesn't break traction when It sometimes should be, which has a huge impact on the way AYC behaves. It's most noticeable on quick direction changes when you put a lot of sudden load on the AYC instead of easing into it.
A couple times in the past where I've taken a roundabout too quick or sharp, the front has dug in and I'll actually lift the rear inner tyre off the ground.

In saying that, I'd be getting your alignment checked by a professional as that can be a common cause of sudden changes in tyre wear and handling.
Thanks for input. I noticed a bit of difference when I upgraded my suspension and tyres but that was a while ago now. The sudden change in the way the rear diff behaves has really only begun to occur in the past few weeks. My alignment hasn't changed for a few months either. That's the main reason I'm worried. Do you find you the rear tyres wear more on one side than the other?

Xoxide

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Reece
Drive
'98 Legnum
I haven't done the first rotation on these tyres yet so I'm not sure how evenly the wear is just yet.
My old set wore very rapidly on all outside edges due to the understeer and roll, but the wear was the same across all the tyres.

An alignment will tell you more about what's going on and what things you need to check for wear or damage. Always ask for a print out too.

aiKzo6

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Aiks
Drive
'98 Galant VR4
The alignment is even on all corners. The tyres wear very evenly across the tread, but my LHR is completely bald opposed to the 4-5mm remaining on my RHR. This definitely isn't an alignment issue.

Xoxide

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Reece
Drive
'98 Legnum
Alright well that helps rule out a few things.
It might be a no brainer, but have you been checking tyre pressure regularly?

aiKzo6

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Aiks
Drive
'98 Galant VR4
Yep.. Have checked pressures haha. I'm fairly sure I've covered everything other than the diff :(

Kaldek

2 AYC Bars
Premium Member
First Name
Ed
Drive
Maybe the tyre has a manufacturing defect?

Top Bottom