Not sure if my BOV is leaking.....

godzilla

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Trevor
Drive
1/19 2002 FL Legnum Type 'S' Manual in Black with Suede Recaro's!
Morning all, yesterday was my day to drive the Leggy ( i only get to drive it saturday's to work :banghead: ) anyway whilst enjoying the first real spirited drive since i had the SAFC tuned i noticed a funny sound from the BOV, during a dead stop to full throttle 100k run onto the HWY i notiiced whilst in "D" everytime it changed gears, even though my foot was flat to the floor, the BOV vented slightly:confused:. Shouldn't it only vent during vacuum ie, when you lift off the throttle? It is a super sequential type BOV, not sure if its a copy or not, but the thing is screwed up as tight as possible. Just want to determine if this happens on all auto's before i go and change it. Ta

G

Unregistered
From what I understand a BOV will vent between gear changes. The RPM would have dropped between gear changes, which would make the BOV vent.

So it seems to be working fine.

bradc

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Brad
Drive
Facelift Manual 400hp VR-4 Legnum
Was it definitely the sound of the bov? or could it just be the change in air pressure in the system somewhere?

godzilla

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Trevor
Drive
Brad, it is normally a whiste type sound but in this case it is a slight "whoooosh" sound

G

Unregistered
From what I understand a BOV will vent between gear changes. The RPM would have dropped between gear changes, which would make the BOV vent.

So it seems to be working fine.

it shouldnt vent, it goes off the throttle, not when you change gears.
you could flatshift in a manual and the bov wont go off.

pu-11-me

and put an LSD in it
First Name
Dawso
Drive
VW Touareg
I think its your gearbox....

The torque converter unlocks when it shifts, dropping the RPM and causing the BOV to go, and NO its not supposed to do this

Mine started doing this when my cushioning/wave spring went in my gearbox :eek: It only does it when it shifts in the 3500 to 5000RPM range and when warm

Don't take this as gospel, it just sounds SUPER similiar to my problem

Sydo

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Andy
Drive
Me Crazy
Could very well be a boost leak elsewhere in the system. Check you joins on all the turbo pipes. You might - like I did - find a leak you never knew you had.

godzilla

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Trevor
Drive
Could very well be a boost leak elsewhere in the system. Check you joins on all the turbo pipes. You might - like I did - find a leak you never knew you had.

Finding a leak could be easier said then done. I checked every singe join and they all "seem" fine. When the car was on the dyno the tuner said he noticed no leak nor did the boost trail off to much. But still my aftermarket cooler seems to have taken a little hit, was like it when i bought it. But no visible cracks. I think i will change the BOV anyway, should be able to pick up a decent one off good'ol ebay.

Dawso, i hope you dont put the mokka( spelling ) on me:eek:

Top Bottom