Status
Not open for further replies.

storm_detonation

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
storm_detonation
Drive
2000 Silver VR4, Toyota Hilux
I've just been in contact with a garage about doing the 100,000km service on my Galant. I have a kit coming with the following parts in it:

- Timing belt
- Hydraulic tensioner
- Tensioner pulley
- Idler pulley
- Crank shaft seal
- Camshaft seals x 4
- Water pump
- Crankshaft pulley
- Power steering belt
- Alternator belt

I asked them to estimate how much in labour it would be to replace all these parts. They guy I was talking to said $495 plus the cost of coolant used and their rate is $110 an hour so it would be four and a half hours worth of work. Does this seem to anyone else to be a really short amount of time? I thought a major service would take about ten hours... I've used this place before for other work on my Galant and I think they are legitimate in their dealings, I haven't had any issues with them before.

pretzil

2 AYC Bars
First Name
Rick
Drive
Legnum VR4
Have they done a VR4 timing belt service before? Sounds like they are vastly underestimating how long it will take, theres a very VR4 experienced place up here that quoted me 9hrs.
But I guess if you are supplying parts, you could try getting that quote in writing (supply your own coolant so they dont say they used $500 worth...)

naughtika

OzVR4 Stalker
First Name
Christian
Drive
'96 Galant VR4, '17 MB A180, '25 Macan GTS
if you know your way around the 6A13 and EC5x chassis, i dont see why you cant do it in 5 hours...

in the past, just removing the plenum could take around 1.5 hours

but now I can remove and properly install it back within 1 hour :D

matto2008

Idling at the Lights
First Name
Mathew
Drive
EC5A Mitsubishi Galant VR4
My galant is sounding like a diesel and pumping out petrol fumes yet there are no warning lights on the dash. idling high, very rough, its not missing, coils checked and fine, injectors work and new spark plugs. I need help if anyone can offer me an idea of whats going on.

tails

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Taylor
Drive
'00 Galant
Am I the only one that's considered getting the top half of their car wrapped for the police car look?

IMG_0797.jpg

Interloper

Leaving Skid Marks
Premium Member
First Name
Andrew
Drive
2000 Legnum S Man, NX Paj, CBR1000RRSP2, CRF450
My galant is sounding like a diesel and pumping out petrol fumes yet there are no warning lights on the dash. idling high, very rough, its not missing, coils checked and fine, injectors work and new spark plugs. I need help if anyone can offer me an idea of whats going on.

check your intercooler piping also

jungle

3 AYC Bars
Lifetime Member
First Name
Simon
Drive
1 PFL & 1 FL Legnum
Any of our guru's know if our air con condenser is the same as any other Mitsubishi??

pretzil

2 AYC Bars
First Name
Rick
Drive
Legnum VR4
Can anyone tell me how to remove the drivers side air conditioning vent and surround? The bit with the pwr mirror buttons and fog light switch
Thanks,

pretzil

2 AYC Bars
First Name
Rick
Drive
Legnum VR4
Anyway, may have been able to work around it, thoughts?:
(Took some light dremmilling)
DSC00781.JPG

Thinking about painting the chrome ring black, if only I could get an identical gauge with a black background it could go with the rest of the color scheme.

Also, anyone know a good place to relocate the mirror controls to? Thinking the LHS of the steering wheel, mirroring the dashlight brightness control, but if it goes wrong it could destroy the instrument panel surround...
DSC00785.JPG

rockit

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Robert
Drive
2000 Legnum
how about the drivers door card in front of the window controls? would involve adding lengths of wiring through the door loom but easily do-able with basic electrical skills

rockit

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Robert
Drive
2000 Legnum
Any of our guru's know if our air con condenser is the same as any other Mitsubishi??

according to the ASA only 8th gen legnum/galants (not restricted to vr4s) share the condenser part number.

doesn't mean that various other ones couldn't work/fit.. could just be a simple difference like a bracket in a different spot or something that is changing the part number..

pretzil

2 AYC Bars
First Name
Rick
Drive
Legnum VR4
how about the drivers door card in front of the window controls? would involve adding lengths of wiring through the door loom but easily do-able with basic electrical skills

Hmm, that sounds like a good idea, wherever I put it I will have to extend the wiring anyway, but I've still got plenty of 7-core trailer wire left over from my ayc bleeding control unit so that should almost be enough wires.

Skippy

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Stuart
Drive
'96 PFL Galant VR-4
Why don't you look at putting the gauge in a neater spot? The spot for the window switches is already pretty decent. If the gauge is small enough you could cut out a neat hole in the dash or similar, but cutting into the dash/elsewhere is never really a 'good' idea incase you ever change your mind or go to a better/larger boost gauge.

just food for thought.

pretzil

2 AYC Bars
First Name
Rick
Drive
Legnum VR4
This holder was the previous location (cant find any daytime pics with it in place), looked neat enough but getting annoyed at not knowing what gear I am already in when downshifting thru roundabouts...
DSC00782.JPG

storm_detonation

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
storm_detonation
Drive
2000 Silver VR4, Toyota Hilux
How can you get the fog light switch out? It is not lighting up anymore when the lights are on so I want to replace the bulb.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom