Not open for further replies.

The Borg

Leaving Skid Marks
Lifetime Member
First Name
Daniel
Drive
2000 face lift Legnum VR4 manual
I have a excessive camber difference between my front left and right and had this before putting in adjustable coilovers even with the stock suspension. I went over it obsessively with my trusted mechanics and tire shop, both sides sit at exactly same height but right side has more camber? just don't know. That's why I snapped up one of Steves kits.

storm_detonation

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
storm_detonation
Drive
2000 Silver VR4, Toyota Hilux
I know you can install aftermarket intercoolers up to a certain size without cutting the crash bar but I am curious as to what the consequences would be of actually cutting it?

Dice

1 AYC Bar
Lifetime Member
First Name
DiceR
Drive
Galant VR-4 2xT25bb
Nissan Cube
It may make the car unroadworthy, reduce safety in a frontal impact and the best large intercoolers fit without removing or cutting it anyhow.

The reverse argument is that it doesn't appear very strong and may not help in a front impact anyhow. Personally I wouldn't remove it though.

G

Unregistered
I COULD be wrong, but I believe cutting an impact bar can actually make your car unroadworthy and/or possibly affect your insurance in the event of an accident,

pretzil

2 AYC Bars
First Name
Rick
Drive
Legnum VR4
G

Unregistered
Steve has the inserts you can press in yourself, genuine only come as the complete assembly.

Dice

1 AYC Bar
Lifetime Member
First Name
DiceR
Drive
Galant VR-4 2xT25bb
Nissan Cube
A lot of the cheaper ones work well too but based on local tuning experience TME_Steve has said many times that HDI do very well. These fit without cutting the crash bar, as do many of the good JDM brands such as GReddy/Trust.

G

Unregistered
I also fit a CT9A cooler in mine without cutting anything. The new Alloy piping made it a bit of a tight squeeze at the bends inside the front bar but it was a piping kit form a different cooler. The cooler itself fit pretty easily.
[Image not found]

AKKO

2 AYC Bars
Lifetime Member
First Name
Chris
Drive
1998 Galant VR4 Type-V (Facelift)
I know you can install aftermarket intercoolers up to a certain size without cutting the crash bar but I am curious as to what the consequences would be of actually cutting it?

unfortunately mine was trimmed, but i plan on further mods in that area for Evo 7 vents to improve airflow to the cooler / radiator.

will involve atleast some welding or a custom replacement bar....

NuffNuff

1 AYC Bar
Lifetime Member
First Name
Damian
Drive
GTI, GTI, FL Manual Legnum VR4
i think me and two other guys most recently fitted HDI coolers and everyone one of us had to cut something, mine i titled and cut out the center support for the hood latch and put in a new one from a magna so i didnt have to cut my bar and the cooler is titled only slightly because i could tuck it in really deep. the welds on the HDI are huge and the side tanks are bloody massive. overall once its done, it was an awesome mod. it runs so much better in temp over 20c

BCX

Administrator
First Name
Bill
Drive
2000 Galant Type-V
1997 MK Triton GLS [6G74 conversion]
2019 i30 N-Line
I fit my HDI intercooler in without having to cut anything... I'm not sure why people need to cut it? You only need to shift the center support back approx 10-20 mm, then space the bonnet catch. It doesn't even look like I've moved the center support at all and clears the intercooler with room to spare.

All state transport authorities frown upon cutting away at things, especially something like the bumper Reo - as soon as you cut into something structural, you've compromised the integrity. It also voids your insurance too if you're involved in an accident and they discover it's been cut. I cant believe the HDI instructions that came with the intercooler mention to do this...

Speaking to an mechanical engineer at work who certifies mods as a side job - after showing him a couple of photos, the centre support pretty much only exists for the bonnet catch. So moving this back is fine, provided the bonnet catch is still good and can aligned correctly to let the bonnet close. If your thinking about cutting into anything, he wont put his name to it for liability reasons. Plus even if he certifies it anyways as a favour, when it gets to <insert state authority here> for inspection/approval of the mods to get a certificate, they'll fail it anyways and slap you with a defect.

Unco_Tomato

Leaving Skid Marks
Lifetime Member
First Name
Matt
Drive
1996 White Manual Legnum w/ FL Kit
i think me and two other guys most recently fitted HDI coolers and everyone one of us had to cut something, mine i titled and cut out the center support for the hood latch and put in a new one from a magna so i didnt have to cut my bar and the cooler is titled only slightly because i could tuck it in really deep. the welds on the HDI are huge and the side tanks are bloody massive. overall once its done, it was an awesome mod. it runs so much better in temp over 20c

I had a HDI GT2 intercooler installed about 6 months ago by Steve. he didn't have to cut a thing. Thought there was some massaging of the pole that anchors the bonnet latch to make room, and then set straight again after installed.

trotty

3 AYC Bars
First Name
Daniel Trotman
Drive
2000 vr4 Legnum 5 sp man
2006 Suzuki Swift Sport 5 sp man
This is just a cheapo bar and plate. No cutting. Did massage the impact bar a little to sit the ic more upright. Pushed the bonnet support back.
a7y9abeg.jpg

pretzil

2 AYC Bars
First Name
Rick
Drive
Legnum VR4
Has anyone tried relocating their power mirror controls and replacing it with a boost gauge? Where would be a good place to move it to?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom