Opinions & recommendations please guys...

HICKSY

Idling at the Lights
First Name
Alan
Drive
98 Legnum ST-R
Hi all,

Well, I currently have 19"x8" Advanti Gauntlet wheels on my Legnum (check out my garage for the pics) with 215/35/19 Toyo Proxes 4 tyres stretched on. When I got these the guys told me I needed 215's to avoid any rubbing. Of course since then I have found out that all I needed to do was roll my gaurds and I could get 235's under there - oh they are a 35 offset. However I think I must be getting old as they are a hard ride and quite noisy, and I'm not sure the handling is as good as it used to be when it was on 17x7's! (although that was some time ago). I have just found out I can now get these wheels in 17x8 and am seriously considering getting rid of the 19's and going for the 17x8's with 235/45/17 tyres. But everytime I look at it I still really like the 19's and think maybe next tyre replacement i'll get the gaurds rolled and get 235/35/19's put on it and that might be better? But then on top of all the handling and cosmetic differences is of course the old difference in cost of the tyres between 19's and 17's! Ahhhh... so hence me wanting your guys opinions about what you would do or think I should do. Any comments will be much appreciated.

Attachments

• DSC03937s.jpg
    DSC03937s.jpg
    31.6 KB · Views: 151
  • DSC03938s.jpg
    DSC03938s.jpg
    27.1 KB · Views: 137

bradc

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Brad
Drive
Facelift Manual 400hp VR-4 Legnum
Either 225 or 235's will fit fine and will make the ride a bit softer and reduce tyre noise.

Remember though that having an Auto ST-R, you don't really need the extra tyre width at all. I have a manual ST-R and I run 215/50/17 tyres on 17x7's on it. I did have some 17x8" EVO 8 wheels but I got rid of them because 215's would have looked stretched on them and an ST-R simply doesn't need tyres that wide! It is impossible to get all 4 spinning no matter what you do :)

If you can get good money for the 19's then I'd consider going down to 17's or 18's. The car does look fantastic with those wheels though :D

HICKSY

Idling at the Lights
First Name
Alan
Drive
98 Legnum ST-R
Yes the 215's I have on the car now are so stretched that it hardly looks like I have any tyres on them at all! Your right about never getting the wheels spinning but it's nice having the extra tyre width for grip but I don't really get that at the moment with the stretched 215's especially in the wet (the ABS gets a hammering around town on a wet day (y)). Really in two minds with what to do... Be great if I could have both aye haha!

ygoslo

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Tim
Drive
91 Silvia, 97 Galant
Those wheels are on every single VE Commodore in Australia.

I'm not a fan of the look. If the 17s are a decent offset get them and fit 225s.

bradc

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Brad
Drive
Facelift Manual 400hp VR-4 Legnum
Remember that in an ST-R with 130kw you really don't need 9" wide wheels! 7" or 7.5" is as wide as you need to go.

jet150

Anyone thirsty?
Premium Member
First Name
Rob
Drive
VR4
If you like the wheels and obviously you do just get the guards rolled.
19's looks a hell of alot better than 17's.

pu-11-me

and put an LSD in it
First Name
Dawso
Drive
VW Touareg
I have some Enkei Ribeas Sports 17's for sale if you are interested. Would be perfect for this car, just need to add some 10mm slip on spacers :)

steveP

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Steve
Drive
VR4 Galant
power doesnt justify wheel width. u can still get up to speed and throw any car into a corner fast. and seeing he wants to run 235 tyres, he shouldnt be running anything narrower than a 8.5".

Alan, u need to re-adjust/calculate ur wheels, u should be looking for 18x9's, not 19x8's. and something around the +35 offset range. and then drop the height of ur car at the front a bit to match the rear.

this way u can run the 235's, reduce noise, increase ride comfort and not look like a commo lol. seeing u have already got ur guards rolled, should be all sweet and look tops.

HICKSY

Idling at the Lights
First Name
Alan
Drive
98 Legnum ST-R
Was looking at Evo 7 wheels which is where all this started! I like the concave look of the Gauntlets on the car though which is why I was thinking of going back down to 17's in them now that you can get them in 17".
Brad, I used to have 7" wide wheels and thought they looked a bit skinny so think I'd stick with 8's, plus I do like pushing it around corners! :D
Steve, I haven't got the gaurds rolled as yet but will be regardless of what I do as the next set of tyres will be either 225 or 235. I'm not so keen on 9" rims cos I think i'd have to raise it a bit cos they would stick out too far? I have 19x8's on it now with 35 offset and have done Gly's rear camber adjustment, so I think 235's on 8" rims with the gaurds rolled would be about the limit. Used to have the front lower too but it bottomed out and scrapped everywhere, now only does it on really big dips on the open road or steep driveways etc.

SLY-031

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Joel
Drive
VR-4 Legnum
9 +38 will fit fine, won't need to raise it.

IMO 19's are way too big, and those rubber bands are terrible.

find some nice 18/17x8 +30-35's.

steveP

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Steve
Drive
VR4 Galant
like u said, the current specs is 8" + 35, and quite clearly they are sunken in the guards. 9's would bring them out to sit perfect.

HICKSY

Idling at the Lights
First Name
Alan
Drive
98 Legnum ST-R
I totally agree, I mean who would need 19's in the first place??!!

17x9 Evo 7 wheels powdercoated gloss black with 235/45/17 tyres would look pretty hot then? :drool:

Top Bottom