Opinions - Skoda Octavia RS

pu-11-me

and put an LSD in it
First Name
Dawso
Drive
VW Touareg
I'm looking for people's thoughts on a Skoda Octavia RS.

I'm not getting rid of the Legnum, but it could mean I have a Mazda out of my hair :D

Does anyone have any experience with these cars?

They share the same engine, gearbox and chassis as the Golf GTI which is a good start!

We have our sights on this one at the moment but won't do anything until I get some feedback about it.

TMR gave it a sterling review, but I don't always agree with what they say sometimes either :)

One last thing, clearly we are looking at getting a petrol manual before anyone asks!

(And yes, I may get her into a Legnum if we come across one she likes!)

OVR444

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Brett
Drive
2004 Mirage
Poor mans VW. enough said :)

They are a great from what I have heard. I mean, they can't be too bad the nurburgring uses them for their daily safety cars.

pu-11-me

and put an LSD in it
First Name
Dawso
Drive
VW Touareg
Yeah Brad its a shame they don't come in 4WD.... But they don't have the power to warrant the need for it either so it not toooooo much of a concern :)

The reason I like it over the GTI though is it is actually a car, not a hot hatch. They are roughly the same size as the Legnum, whereas the GTI is quite a bit smaller than that.

I'm just hoping I come across the perfect Legnum in time! Haha

mookers

puri puri
First Name
Derek
Drive
CL9 Accord Euro Lux, GE Jazz VTi, Evil Supervillain Chair, Homemade Portable Square Drumkit
Go the Octavia RS. We have a Jetta with the same drivetrain. I prefer the Jetta's styling but the Octavia will be bigger and possibly cheaper.

Casper

Crunching Gears
First Name
Lewis
Drive
2000 Legnum VR4 type S 4SALE!
Hey,Skoda like you said is almost a VW so you cant go wrong! Had a Vw Bora before and never ever had anything to coment about. There all made by group VW,Audi,Skoda and even Seat wich is very popular in europe also is made by same guys,you wont regret it.Actually the only downside of buying the Skoda is retail value due to not being popular here, good luck!

unclepaulie

hellatemplate ;)
Lifetime Member
First Name
Paul
Drive
hairdresser spec lancer coupe
looks like a bentley raped a stagea, 9months later, that fell out.

sorry dawso, its a thumbs down from me. looks and lack of RWD/AWD

king_panther

Gettin' tanked
First Name
Brad
Drive
2012 VW Caddy 1.6TDI 7-Speed DSG. Still crappy DSG.....
What are your parameters for choosing this vehicle Dawso?

& what's wrong with the Mazda? I was going to suggest if you're going to spend that money for the RS, why not a Mazda 3MPS ?

Sydo

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Andy
Drive
Me Crazy
I like them - and would definately consider buying one when it's time for the Legnum to move on.. Diesel with DSG would be my pick.

There's no way I would purchase one in yellow however. They are used for taxi's here (non-RS), and I wouldn't want drunks trying to catch a ride home in the evenings.

king_panther

Gettin' tanked
First Name
Brad
Drive
Diesel with DSG would be my pick.

As the driver of a TDI Caddy with DSG, I have now changed my mind on them & think the DSGs are terrible.
Say what you want about our gearboxes, but I find infinitely superior to the DSG.

mookers

puri puri
First Name
Derek
Drive
CL9 Accord Euro Lux, GE Jazz VTi, Evil Supervillain Chair, Homemade Portable Square Drumkit
What is it you don't like about the DSG Brad? The only complaint I have about the Jetta is the low speed herky-jerky when trying to creep forward.

king_panther

Gettin' tanked
First Name
Brad
Drive
What is it you don't like about the DSG Brad? The only complaint I have about the Jetta is the low speed herky-jerky when trying to creep forward.

It is terribly jerky in the Caddy when down low in speed, let go of the accelerator & the whole car just sort of clenches up badly or feels like I've just driven into thick mud.
Also when on steep inclines, the car will just launch either backwards or forwards violently before the accelerator kicks in. It acts like it has a clutch engaged, not how an auto should be at all. You have to revert to 2 feet pedal action, taking you back to the dark days of manuals.
5th gear seems non-existant, like it's the smallest of the gears. Going uphill it will very quickly drop from 6 to 5, then prety much instantly from 5 to 4. Same with accelerating it will shift from 4 to 6 pretty damn quickly without giving 5th a chance at all.

Sitting back in the Legnum, I find it to be sooooo much a smoother gearbox, & I actually think it smart to downshift when going downhill as it alerts you as a driver & prevents the car from going too fast. The DSG will upshift going downhill & picks up more & more speed as it goes. Quite dangerous.

Sydo

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Andy
Drive
Me Crazy
Interesting.. I've never driven a DSG, so I have your comments are welcome.

bradc

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Brad
Drive
Facelift Manual 400hp VR-4 Legnum
Most of that is because it is a manual with an automated clutch. You need to think of it as a manual without a clutch pedal.

I remember the Vanquish that Clarkson nearly launched into a shed :)

king_panther

Gettin' tanked
First Name
Brad
Drive
Most of that is because it is a manual with an automated clutch. You need to think of it as a manual without a clutch pedal.

That's exactly the impression I have. They've just robotised a manual transmission. I don't feel like I'm driving an auto at all.
At least with a manual you can release the clutch at your own will. You don't have the option with the DSG.

My comments I'm going to say are strictly related to the Caddy with the DSG. I'm actually having to give my mother in law a lift tonight with her car & it's a VW Tiguan with 1.8TSI & DSG so I'll try & see if there's a difference.

Fred

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Fred
Drive
1998 Legnum VR-4 & 1999 Legnum VR-4 w. Recaros
King panther: Take your caddy back to VW. It sounds like the mechatronics unit has shit itself. I have replaced several in Audi S-Tronic gearboxes (Exactly the same as DSG) as some of the early ones were faulty, but no bulletin/customer notification were sent out.

king_panther

Gettin' tanked
First Name
Brad
Drive
King panther: Take your caddy back to VW. It sounds like the mechatronics unit has shit itself. I have replaced several in Audi S-Tronic gearboxes (Exactly the same as DSG) as some of the early ones were faulty, but no bulletin/customer notification were sent out.

I only got the car in November. Could it have shat it guts already?

Fred

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Fred
Drive
1998 Legnum VR-4 & 1999 Legnum VR-4 w. Recaros
yes. I did one on an Audi A3 Sportback last week with 1085k's on it! i personally don't know what is actually faulty in the mechatronics, i think it has to do with oil pressure to apply/release the two clutches / or the control unit. The mechatronics controls everything, contol unit/valve body/selector forks & clutch actuation. New one fitted, they steer beautifully.

Top Bottom