Opinions - Skoda Octavia RS

SupremeMoFo

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Evan
Drive
MY01 Magna Sports
Possible faultiness with that particular DSG box aside, I've driven a diesel DSG Octavia and it's vastly superior to any other auto box I've used (other than a conventional 6 speed auto in a 2007 Audi A6 3.2 Quattro - $110k's worth) and very easy to adjust to.

king_panther

Gettin' tanked
First Name
Brad
Drive
2012 VW Caddy 1.6TDI 7-Speed DSG. Still crappy DSG.....
Possible faultiness with that particular DSG box aside, I've driven a diesel DSG Octavia and it's vastly superior to any other auto box I've used (other than a conventional 6 speed auto in a 2007 Audi A6 3.2 Quattro - $110k's worth) and very easy to adjust to.

Then I must have something faulty, as I find the DSG to be horrendous & the Legnum's superb in comparison.

king_panther

Gettin' tanked
First Name
Brad
Drive
Lol, you're the only one in the company with an Auto. Did you ask for it?

No. They were using Holden Combos but were evaluating the VW Caddy & I was asked if I were interested in having a company vehicle & I said no thanks because I refuse to drive manuals.
They then repsonded by saying that the Caddy came in auto as well. I said I would be interested yes if it was available with an auto & next thing I knew was they had ordered it & was on its way.
All the others are manuals.

king_panther

Gettin' tanked
First Name
Brad
Drive
why do you refuse to drive manuals?

Just plain annoying to the extreme. I'm over changing gears manually.

Plus I do too much stop-start driving & just am more relaxed driving an auto.
I had to move a manual car out of the garage a few weeks ago, which meant driving manual for the first time in nearly 10yrs & I did not miss it one bit it felt going back in time 50yrs.

That's what pisses me about the DSG on inclines. You're back to doing hillstarts if it's staring up a big hill.

pu-11-me

and put an LSD in it
First Name
Dawso
Drive
VW Touareg
Well, the Skoda could be a goer then but I certainly won't be buying a Caddy with a DSG lol

Lee, if she got a Legnum she wouldn't get a manual. Tried to convince her to get yours but she was whinging about the clutch already and she's never driven it lol!

I tried to get her interested in the Diesel but she wouldn't have a bar of :(

She wants a wagon for her dog (Purebred Bull Mastiff) and this was just the right size, and being a VW at heart we knew it had all the good stuff.

Paul, i'm not particularly excited about the styling either but when warranty is out it'll be getting dumped and a lashing of +20 in black :)

She wants yellow. Taxi thing is irrelevant to her lol

Thanks everyone for their opinions! :)

king_panther

Gettin' tanked
First Name
Brad
Drive
You know you can get Golf wagons now Dawso?

Might sound blasphemous, but what about a Hyundai i30cw Sportswagon?

pu-11-me

and put an LSD in it
First Name
Dawso
Drive
VW Touareg
She wants a petrol turbo that feels sporty like the Mazda, but not as rough as the Legnum, so unfortunately we are limited.

The Skoda sits on the GTI chassis with a bit more weight to smooth it over.

*puts on flame suit

Have also been trying to convince her on M35 Stagea's. There are saome NICE one's floating around at the moment....

king_panther

Gettin' tanked
First Name
Brad
Drive
& it has to be brand new?

EDIT: Just saw your Stagea comment.... BOOOOOO... :p

Bah just get her a Volvo T5 wagon!

pu-11-me

and put an LSD in it
First Name
Dawso
Drive
VW Touareg
No, its not going to be brand new haha

Pfft, Volvo lol

SupremeMoFo

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Evan
Drive
MY01 Magna Sports
Just plain annoying to the extreme. I'm over changing gears manually.
Polar opposite - I fucking hate autos, I hate the slushiness, the lack of response, the lack of control, which is why I almost liked the DSG - instantaneous response, ultra smooth on the move and easy to adjust to getting it off the line smoothly, and very easy to get around its low speed jerkiness (it would only do engine braking in first gear if I left it in tiptronic mode). The hill start off brakes/handbrake is a little odd but I wound up liking that too.

Hotwire

1 AYC Bar
Premium Member
First Name
Lee
Drive
97 COTY
http://hardtuned.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=431592

post-58305-1267181789465_thumb.jpg

a lot cheaper than your Skoda too ;)

pu-11-me

and put an LSD in it
First Name
Dawso
Drive
VW Touareg
Do want!

Shame the owner has given SFA info about the car.... Makes it hard to buy something when you know NOTHING about it.

It looks good, which is a start lol

Top Bottom