Overheating

Nitephyre

Flaccid Member
Lifetime Member
First Name
Matt :)
Drive
1963 Toyota Lite-Stout & 2007 Toyota Blade Master G
Possibly water pump...and/or radiator. The shit that came out of your engine was fucking horrible, I've never seen anything like it :O

Johnny_k

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Johnny
Drive
97 COTY Legnum & 09 Astra
Yeah I'm less worried about head gasket and more worried about water pump.

steveP

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Steve
Drive
VR4 Galant
Are the fans working correctly?

When I first got my car, when I turned the air con on, the temp would go maximum within a minute and boil the coolant. So I had to pull over and let the car cool down before driving it again with no air con. The problem ended up being a simple one where the plug for the fans had come loose.

Johnny_k

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Johnny
Drive
I wish it was that simple. The fans do work. Do u have to pull the engine out to do the water pump.

Johnny_k

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Johnny
Drive
Ok. So over the last 2 days I have been driving it around town and about 30 mins of highway driving and the temp hasn't gone past half way.
I think I'm going to have to test the temp sensor. Could it still somehow be the water pump.

mr barista

Crunching Gears
First Name
Glen
Drive
S2 type S black legnum
i feel your pain.... i have the same issue.grrrrr it seems with mine when i can't get enough airflow say above 60kmph uphill underload it behaves the same way :(

[TUFFTR]

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Paul
Drive
Mitsubishi Magna
water pump should be spinning regardless, Bit to read so excuse my ignorance if this has been answered, but has the thermostat been changed?

If the HG is gone it'll burn water, idle funny and overheat in short trips

jonesyVR4

Crunching Gears
First Name
Mark
Drive
EP71 Starlet turbo
Just my 2c worth
I would start @ the radiator, take it & get the top tank removed & get it rodded, then the engine flushed.
Atleast you know your coolong system will be clear of any crap.
Then you can start looking @ water pumps & sensors
Theres no point doing those until the rest is clean

it's.simon

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Simon
Drive
VR-4 Galant Type S
Hmm so quite a hot day in Adelaide, somewhere around the 40 degrees mark. I was driving in stop go traffic with the aircon on and noticed the temp gauge was almost maxed. This is the first time it happened. So I pulled over to check coolant and leaks, nothing. What I did notice is that only one out of two fans were working. (only the driver side fan was working) is this normal?

Dice

1 AYC Bar
Lifetime Member
First Name
DiceR
Drive
Galant VR-4 2xT25bb
Nissan Cube
The other fan will normally turn on when air con is on so that doesn't sound normal. You'll need to get your thermostat checked too.

steveP

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Steve
Drive
VR4 Galant
As mentioned earlier, I had the exact same problem. My car would max our the temp gauge as soon as the air con came on. Check the plugs to the fans are connected properly, as mine were loose.

Johnny_k

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Johnny
Drive
Well I finally pulled the radiator out and got it flushed professionally. Only 9 of the fins/pipes were not blocked. They said even those were partially blocked. So hopefully no more overheating for me

Sent from my arse using gas! Suck it up princess.

Nitephyre

Flaccid Member
Lifetime Member
First Name
Matt :)
Drive
1963 Toyota Lite-Stout & 2007 Toyota Blade Master G
Good to hear mate... the shit we firehosed out was not pretty and the thought of that sludging through your engine as well... *shudder*

TME_Steve

3 AYC Bars
Lifetime Member
First Name
Steve
Drive
2010 nt did pajero tow car / 2000 6spd gc8 wrx tarmac rally car / 2000 Manual Subaru Outback 2.5 just a car
Well I finally pulled the radiator out and got it flushed professionally. Only 9 of the fins/pipes were not blocked. They said even those were partially blocked. So hopefully no more overheating for me

God I hope so, it was shocking

Johnny_k

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Johnny
Drive
Hey. Thanks guys. She is good now. Gave her a work out up the toowoomba range. She heated up a bit (expected) but cooled straight back down after.

hozza

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Nathan
Drive
97 COTY manual legnum.(gone)
96 GTO MR
S13 silvia
When I flog my legnum the guage doesnt move or if it does not enough to notice

naughtika

OzVR4 Stalker
First Name
Christian
Drive
'96 Galant VR4, '17 MB A180, '25 Macan GTS
curious to know how your radiator got clogged up..

didnt the previous owner service it properly?

Top Bottom