Overheating Issues

Gt_Galant

EC5A
First Name
Fred
Drive
Galant
Problem for 4yrs, wow.

Also just regarding genuine parts, if its genuine doesn't necessary mean its perfect as genuine parts can be faulty easily, example, ive replaced the crank seal twice as it was still leaking all were genuine, and replace 2 rear control arms and left one ended up making noise, replaced again fixed.

And a friends nissan, we replaced the rear engine mount with genuine and found out it wobble a fair bit, got a new one (no charge) and no wobble.

Genuine is 100% better but you do get some faulty items from them.

veegeeta

Leaving Skid Marks
Lifetime Member
First Name
shane
Drive
fto with 6A13TT & bf xr6 turbo
Problem for 4yrs, wow.

Also just regarding genuine parts, if its genuine doesn't necessary mean its perfect as genuine parts can be faulty easily, example, ive replaced the crank seal twice as it was still leaking all were genuine, and replace 2 rear control arms and left one ended up making noise, replaced again fixed.

And a friends nissan, we replaced the rear engine mount with genuine and found out it wobble a fair bit, got a new one (no charge) and no wobble.

Genuine is 100% better but you do get some faulty items from them.
yeah a problem for four years that keeps popping up when you think its sorted its there again. Now its worse then ever can only drive for 10mins with a little playing then its hot, this is why im thinking cracked head. Ive seem to have done everything else. Was thinking of pulling thermostat out and putting in some head fix to see if this helps as it would determine my theory of cracked head.

jungle

3 AYC Bars
Lifetime Member
First Name
Simon
Drive
1 PFL & 1 FL Legnum
Radiator is made custom from radiator world in wa. Never was a problem before. Thermostats, rad cap ,pump all gen items. I had aftermarket ones in before thought that might be the problem so changed all back to gen mitsubishi items.Problem has been on and of for four years but is now a lot worse then before.I do get bubbles in cooling system thouh
Well that is a sign of combustion into water jacket.
Common cause is head gasket, cracked head and less likely but still possible is a cracked bore.

NuffNuff

1 AYC Bar
Lifetime Member
First Name
Damian
Drive
GTI, GTI, FL Manual Legnum VR4
hi guys sorry to jump in...

but im having some temperature issues on highway driving which is leading me to believe either stuck thermostat or blocked radiator. the bottom hose occasionally feels quite a lot cooler than the top hose. im getting a thermostat , radiator cap. and possibly a new radiator (which radiator do you recommend, golpher?)

it isnt using any coolant and oil/coolant checks out ok. i might try and give it a 'burp' tonight. it seems like on inclines and throttle it rises a bit on a 28c+ day, on a normal 20 or below day you can drive around boosting around the joint and it doesnt care

edit: seems like highway speeds when the aircon is on on a warm day. so maybe the condensor isnt doing too well or the radiator isnt dealing well with that load anymore when the aircon is on, days where i drive by myself with the windows down and no aircon i've never ever had an issue..

naughtika

OzVR4 Stalker
First Name
Christian
Drive
'96 Galant VR4, '17 MB A180, '25 Macan GTS
hi guys sorry to jump in...

but im having some temperature issues on highway driving which is leading me to believe either stuck thermostat or blocked radiator. the bottom hose occasionally feels quite a lot cooler than the top hose. im getting a thermostat , radiator cap. and possibly a new radiator (which radiator do you recommend, golpher?)

it isnt using any coolant and oil/coolant checks out ok. i might try and give it a 'burp' tonight. it seems like on inclines and throttle it rises a bit on a 28c+ day, on a normal 20 or below day you can drive around boosting around the joint and it doesnt care

edit: seems like highway speeds when the aircon is on on a warm day. so maybe the condensor isnt doing too well or the radiator isnt dealing well with that load anymore when the aircon is on, days where i drive by myself with the windows down and no aircon i've never ever had an issue..

you're on a good start.. replace that thermostat first..
if you start losing coolant, then replace your radiator cap..

NuffNuff

1 AYC Bar
Lifetime Member
First Name
Damian
Drive
Is there an easier way to remove the thermostat than removing the turbo pipe that runs next to it? Lol

NuffNuff

1 AYC Bar
Lifetime Member
First Name
Damian
Drive
Got it out with just removing the maf, airbox and the flex plastic between hardpipe!

It says 82 on it. 80c didn't open it, 85c didn't open it. Gonna try 90c and 100c then bin it

edit: 90c and 100c it failed to open at all. i've hollowed it out and put it back in fully open until mine arrives. only took about an hour to do. probably heaps faster when i get the new one. had to hollow it out as my windshield is being replaced on the daily tomorrow :(

veegeeta

Leaving Skid Marks
Lifetime Member
First Name
shane
Drive
fto with 6A13TT & bf xr6 turbo
Have finally sorted my heating issues. Turns out I had rubber like a bike tube blocking water ports in heads and block . had heads checked and no cracks or blown gaskets. Was causing pressure bild up in water system and pushing water out off overflow then gets hot now I just need to sort out my electric problems and she will be all good. Tips don't use cheap radiator hoses the inner skin could peel off and push through water system. I never did so I'm not sure where it come from.

NuffNuff

1 AYC Bar
Lifetime Member
First Name
Damian
Drive
This is insane one year later and in the same month a radiator cap died, then the radiator and in only 12 months my thermostat is stuffed too. Just pulled it apart to find the thermostat stuffed again. I'm going to hollow it out and run no thermostat for a while like last time.

I wonder if something else is at play here to cause this again

naughtika

OzVR4 Stalker
First Name
Christian
Drive
This is insane one year later and in the same month a radiator cap died, then the radiator and in only 12 months my thermostat is stuffed too. Just pulled it apart to find the thermostat stuffed again. I'm going to hollow it out and run no thermostat for a while like last time.

I wonder if something else is at play here to cause this again

what brand thermostat were you using?

also was your fan regulator positioned below the radiator inlet (hotside)?

NuffNuff

1 AYC Bar
Lifetime Member
First Name
Damian
Drive
OEM thermostat

fan regular (the spikey guy?) is where it has always been. it can be positioned otheways?, all relays/fuses seem fine.

my bottom radiator hose is cool, top one very hot. i didnt think the radiator was that good o_O

NuffNuff

1 AYC Bar
Lifetime Member
First Name
Damian
Drive
OEM thermostat

fan regular (the spikey guy?) is where it has always been. it can be positioned otheways?, all relays/fuses seem fine.

my bottom radiator hose is cool, top one very hot. i didnt think the radiator was that good o_O
DSC_2160.JPG

That white spot on the wire plastic shielding looks suspect, looks a bit cooked and the heat shrink stuff has shrank around that spot

naughtika

OzVR4 Stalker
First Name
Christian
Drive
What i found with the regulator is that you have to put it where it is most hottest for the fan to kick in.. so if you have lower temp thermostat, it does not work as well as its meant to.

Also re: fuses.. have you visually checked them? Fuses in our cars are getting old and tired so alot of them may require replacement sometime soon.

NuffNuff

1 AYC Bar
Lifetime Member
First Name
Damian
Drive
Yeah the fuses seem fine
That wire looks stuffed tho, I'll take it out later on when I have a moment and shift things around

i have a new radiator in, its sitting on the same part of the fan shroud but because its so much thicker radiator it's pushed it well under the kink of the top hose so out of its hot spot range there . im starting to think they never went on by themselves tho lol

NuffNuff

1 AYC Bar
Lifetime Member
First Name
Damian
Drive
Pulled it out and the wiring checks to be fine

Need to test the regulator

DSC_2161.JPG

I wish I had another one to compare to or just chuck in lol, that's just power to passenger side fan. Works fine with air-conditioning on

I think today the fans will be hot wired on with a manual switch for testing

NuffNuff

1 AYC Bar
Lifetime Member
First Name
Damian
Drive
DSC_2162.JPG

Above the thermostat, are these both temp sensors? Whatd be the correct part # to replace them with if needed?

NuffNuff

1 AYC Bar
Lifetime Member
First Name
Damian
Drive
So the overheating was the thermostat for sure

Boiled it at many different temps

My stock rad crapped itself the other week so I wonder if that's what killed the thermostat

Top Bottom