jungle

3 AYC Bars
Lifetime Member
First Name
Simon
Drive
1 PFL & 1 FL Legnum
One of the front foglights will have to suffer :-D
Yes. Good idea. The radiator already has a tough time, putting a hot oil cooler in front of it is not very smart!

jungle

3 AYC Bars
Lifetime Member
First Name
Simon
Drive
1 PFL & 1 FL Legnum
depending on how far you want to go ducting is a must . This insures airflow coming into the front of the engine is ducted to where you need it most radiator intercooler & brakes.
Doing this alone will have a dramatic affect on your car is the abilty to cool.
These things are simple and easy to do.

Coatings are beneficial but most likely engine out.

Kaldek

2 AYC Bars
Premium Member
First Name
Ed
Drive
2000 Legnum VR4 Manual, Ford Territory family runabout, BMW K1300R.
For some reference info, I was up in the mountains on Sunday (Black Spur) and was going *super* hard driving alongside a mate in a BMW M4. I saw my temperatures hit 91 degrees C coolant temperature, but this only occurred when I had to slow down for traffic. With the revs up and the airflow going I didn't see it increase. The oil temp does tend to hit 122C though (although I don't fully trust the sensor calibration at the moment).

Another great thing about my UTCOMP is that I have programmed it to go BEEP BEEP BEEP and display a warning when either oil temp, engine temp or oil pressure go out of spec.

jungle

3 AYC Bars
Lifetime Member
First Name
Simon
Drive
1 PFL & 1 FL Legnum
I'm not surprised about oil temp. It will be quite independent of your water temp.
I ended up fitting 2 oil coolers in my track car to keep them in check.

Depending on the oil used @Kaldek you might want to consider changing it
for insurance. My logger used to give me warnings when >120. I also used to change it after every track day. Generally it starts to break down >130-140C but up to you

Grid

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Tomasz
Drive
Legnum 6A13TT, Galant 6A13
Good idea. I'll change the oil. Even though it's a racing oil type, better be safe than sorry.

pretzil

2 AYC Bars
First Name
Rick
Drive
Legnum VR4
Just trying to understand what a radiator shop would need to come up with
Honestly, I'd buy a ready made double pass radiator and get mounts matched up, it wouldn't be hard to get the hoses to reach a set up like jungles with outlets on the lhs, then fill in the gaps around it for better ducting

Kaldek

2 AYC Bars
Premium Member
First Name
Ed
Drive
I'm not surprised about oil temp. It will be quite independent of your water temp.
I ended up fitting 2 oil coolers in my track car to keep them in check.

Depending on the oil used @Kaldek you might want to consider changing it
for insurance. My logger used to give me warnings when >120. I also used to change it after every track day. Generally it starts to break down >130-140C but up to you
I'm fitting a new accurate oil temperature sensor this weekend so I'll see if I still get the temperature warnings. If so I will look into an oil cooler but I'd prefer to have one which is thermostat controlled.

jungle

3 AYC Bars
Lifetime Member
First Name
Simon
Drive
1 PFL & 1 FL Legnum
When I had my radiator made back in 2005, it was about $1200

mookers

puri puri
First Name
Derek
Drive
CL9 Accord Euro Lux, GE Jazz VTi, Evil Supervillain Chair, Homemade Portable Square Drumkit
I can't believe you can drive hard up the Black Spur these days and escape without being booked.

Kaldek

2 AYC Bars
Premium Member
First Name
Ed
Drive
I can't believe you can drive hard up the Black Spur these days and escape without being booked.
It's because I leave at 5:45am and hit the spur by 6:45.

Grid

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Tomasz
Drive
When I had my radiator made back in 2005, it was about $1200
I was just quoted the equivalent of $600 to get one made, excl. fitment, in Poland. Might just go for it... esp. that I want to push the engine harder

Kaldek

2 AYC Bars
Premium Member
First Name
Ed
Drive
Yes. Good idea. The radiator already has a tough time, putting a hot oil cooler in front of it is not very smart!
I've read that the best place for the oil cooler is actually in front of the radiator, due to the volume and speed of air stopping the air passing through the oil cooler from being heated so much that it negatively impacts the radiator's ability to cool. Not only that but to place the oil cooler as close as possible to the radiator to avoid air turbulence between them (which would stop the radiator from being able to cool).

Dice

1 AYC Bar
Lifetime Member
First Name
DiceR
Drive
Galant VR-4 2xT25bb
Nissan Cube
My experience has shown noticeably better cooling behind the fog light when I had the Galant. In my Legnum the transmission cooler is behind the fog light, so the oil cooler is in front of the radiator.

They were manual vs auto but basically the same mods, same oil cooler.

pretzil

2 AYC Bars
First Name
Rick
Drive
Legnum VR4
They were manual vs auto but basically the same mods, same oil cooler.
I don't think the same oil coolers are used for Engine and Transmission oil, engine oil coolers tend to be thicker with thicker tubes, while trans coolers are quite thin. I always figured it was to do with minimizing back pressure on the engine oil system.

Dice

1 AYC Bar
Lifetime Member
First Name
DiceR
Drive
Galant VR-4 2xT25bb
Nissan Cube
I meant that I had the same Greddy oil cooler on both cars. One was in the fog light (manual galant) the other was in front of the radiator because the left fog light section was filled with the trans cooler.

Grid

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Tomasz
Drive
Went to another trackday today - the water gets hot after a few laps, but stays at 3/4 of the temp scale, and drops down really fast when I do a cooling lap. So yeah for doing many laps in a row more cooling would no doubt be good for the car.

Kaldek

2 AYC Bars
Premium Member
First Name
Ed
Drive
If I fitted an engine oil cooler to a road car I would also install an oilstat. No way would I want the oil to get overcooled because that's definitely been known to cause sludging. A track day only car, sure I'd just fit a cooler and be done with it.

Top Bottom