Overheating Issues

jungle

3 AYC Bars
Lifetime Member
First Name
Simon
Drive
1 PFL & 1 FL Legnum
Have finally sorted my heating issues. Turns out I had rubber like a bike tube blocking water ports in heads and block . had heads checked and no cracks or blown gaskets. Was causing pressure bild up in water system and pushing water out off overflow then gets hot now I just need to sort out my electric problems and she will be all good. Tips don't use cheap radiator hoses the inner skin could peel off and push through water system. I never did so I'm not sure where it come from.
These these engine seem to have issues with hoses to in general. Glad you found it, nothing worse chasing a problem that seemingly should occur.

Kaldek

2 AYC Bars
First Name
Ed
Drive
2000 Legnum VR4 Manual, Ford Territory family runabout, BMW K1300R.
I had some weird overheating on my FL. It would run fine and then overheat only after I came off a freeway run, and most recently did it just after I got off the freeway and hit the back roads going to see @TME_Steve at his workshop . It did not overheat under any other circumstances, regardless of weather.

Upon removing the thermostat from my car I discovered it was a non-genuine part. I replaced it with a Mitsubishi part. A video comparison of the thermostat from my car and the new OEM thermostat is below.

NuffNuff

1 AYC Bar
Lifetime Member
First Name
Damian
Drive
GTI, GTI, FL Manual Legnum VR4
yep same as mine twice, except they were genuine

bad rad cap killed first one, bad radiator killed the second

@Kaldek im at work atm, what temp did you boil them to maximum in that test?

TME_Steve

3 AYC Bars
Lifetime Member
First Name
Steve
Drive
2010 nt did pajero tow car / 2000 6spd gc8 wrx tarmac rally car / 2000 Manual Subaru Outback 2.5 just a car
Id be interested to see you test them with both in the water. And bring it up to temp more gradually. So hold it at 70 then 80 then 90 sorta thing. But yeah looks like the old one wasnt opening as far as early for sure.

Kaldek

2 AYC Bars
First Name
Ed
Drive
Id be interested to see you test them with both in the water. And bring it up to temp more gradually. So hold it at 70 then 80 then 90 sorta thing. But yeah looks like the old one wasnt opening as far as early for sure.
You know I love data Steve. I'll do it at lunchtime today.

Kaldek

2 AYC Bars
First Name
Ed
Drive
@TME_Steve I've done the test. I place both thermostats in cold water and slowly brought them up to temperature.

The OEM thermostat opened earlier (at the correct temperature), opened faster, and was opened wider once at 100C. When heat was removed and cold water added to the pan the OEM thermostat reacted much quicker to the change in temperature.

TME_Steve

3 AYC Bars
Lifetime Member
First Name
Steve
Drive
2010 nt did pajero tow car / 2000 6spd gc8 wrx tarmac rally car / 2000 Manual Subaru Outback 2.5 just a car
What temp did the other thermostat open fully?

Kaldek

2 AYC Bars
First Name
Ed
Drive
What temp did the other thermostat open fully?
OEM was fully open by about 95-97 according to my crappy probe. The FKR never opened as wide during the whole test but it was at its widest right at the end at 100C.

I'll upload the video to YouTube for you mate.

Off topic - I love how with my 100Mb/s upload speed I take a video, it appears on Google Photos a few minutes later and then I just click "Import from Google Photos" in my YouTube account without having to upload it again. Sweet as.

Kaldek

2 AYC Bars
First Name
Ed
Drive
Heating up the thermostats:

Cooling down the thermostats:

Grid

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Tomasz
Drive
Legnum 6A13TT, Galant 6A13
Have finally sorted my heating issues. Turns out I had rubber like a bike tube blocking water ports in heads and block . had heads checked and no cracks or blown gaskets. Was causing pressure bild up in water system and pushing water out off overflow then gets hot now I just need to sort out my electric problems and she will be all good. Tips don't use cheap radiator hoses the inner skin could peel off and push through water system. I never did so I'm not sure where it come from.

I think I'm having identical issues, perhaps you can confirm the symptoms... My VR-4 pushes out coolant out of the overflow - when driving gently it just looses up to 1/4 and then doesn't push out any more. Radiator just stays barely filled and engine does not overheat. On a trackday it can push out all the coolant in a matter of 10 minutes of flooring it. No sign of oil in the coolant, no white exhaust fumes, compression test just fine. Only weird thing is the carbon/soot residue in the coolant.

My VR-4 has the original water hoses it came with from the factory, I'm guessing they just get tired and start deteriorating, clogging up the water passages.

DSC_0149.JPG
DSC_0145.JPG

veegeeta

Leaving Skid Marks
Lifetime Member
First Name
shane
Drive
fto with 6A13TT & bf xr6 turbo
They separate and send rubber through water passage and block up water ports in block . Heads have to come off to fix issue I tried flushing no effect had leak and pressure testing heads checked. Went through a lot of bullshit before I went stuff it pull heads off found problem straight away. Was like a bicycle tube in pieces blocking it up.

Top Bottom