possible choke problem?

G

Unregistered
had a complete trans flush done, cost $290.... its a bit better but i have still felt a few shudders... gonna give it a little more time to work through and see if it stops the problem completely, if not im back to square 1 :(

Hotwire

1 AYC Bar
Premium Member
First Name
Lee
Drive
97 COTY
^OUCH! That's a lot for a trans flush... $160-170 is normal rate for a trans flush, maybe up to $220 if they need a lot of fluid to flush it clean (like my trans when at MV Automatics) but $290 is crazy!
(Unless the $290 wasn't just the trans flush cost)

pu-11-me

and put an LSD in it
First Name
Dawso
Drive
VW Touareg
had a complete trans flush done, cost $290.... its a bit better but i have still felt a few shudders... gonna give it a little more time to work through and see if it stops the problem completely, if not im back to square 1 :(

Pfft! Thats a bit steep!

Like Lee said, under $200 for a flush should be the go..... At least its fixed

You don't have a trans cooler do you? I noticed its pretty warm down your way. Hot oil = Problems!

Get a trans cooler ASAP :)

bradc

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Brad
Drive
Facelift Manual 400hp VR-4 Legnum
What oil did they run through it and how many litres did you use? Also did you reset the ecu by disconnecting the battery for 5 minutes?

SiliconAngel

1 AYC Bar
First Name
SA, Trevor
Drive
'99 Legnum VR4 Black MT
As Dawso said, get a trans cooler fitted ASAP - the auto's in VR4's run damn hot, especially when given a bit of work. Its really NOT something you want to have to get rebuilt!

And Dawso, get Firefox - IE is rubbish :banghead:

pu-11-me

and put an LSD in it
First Name
Dawso
Drive
VW Touareg

Super yeah! Try fighting with your warranty company and having the car off the road while THAT takes place!

Also, heat may be causing your shuddering too. If that oil gets too hot, it won't work as it should.

The oil will get the hottest at the highest vehicle speed with the lowest RPM, between 55 and 60km/h when it shifts into 5th which is the exact issues you have described.

Why? Because the engine RPM controls the speed the oil is pushed through the cooling system (i won't go into details) but the internal components in your gearbox are moving at a speed required to make the car go 60km/h which is quite fast for not much oil being moved creating LOTS of heat

Being that most Aussie suburban streets are 50 - 60km/h speed zones, this presents quite an issue!

G

Unregistered
Super yeah! Try fighting with your warranty company and having the car off the road while THAT takes place!

Also, heat may be causing your shuddering too. If that oil gets too hot, it won't work as it should.

The oil will get the hottest at the highest vehicle speed with the lowest RPM, between 55 and 60km/h when it shifts into 5th which is the exact issues you have described.

Why? Because the engine RPM controls the speed the oil is pushed through the cooling system (i won't go into details) but the internal components in your gearbox are moving at a speed required to make the car go 60km/h which is quite fast for not much oil being moved creating LOTS of heat

Being that most Aussie suburban streets are 50 - 60km/h speed zones, this presents quite an issue!

that probably would make sense, i haven't really noticed it when iv only just started a journey, but at the same time there aren't really any hills at the beginning of my trips only one on the road home when it seems to do it....
where, how much and who best to fit one of these coolers?
it was $190 for the trans flush but $290 all up with the fluid i wanted and they used 14ltrs...... felt like i was getting ripped, the guy kept going on about his club sport and how much it improved his :wanker:... that will teach me to be too cheap to drive to golden grove lol

G

Unregistered
And what fluid was that?
It is VERY important you've got the correct stuff in there.

well i rang around all the mitsy places and the golden grove ultra tune to try and find that amsoil atf stuff but none of them had ever herd of it :( they all said, (including the golden grove ultra tune guys) to use some mercon multi something stuff.... cant remeber its full name now, it was like 66 bucks a container....... i got ripped huh....... DAMN IT THIS ALWAYS HAPPENS :mad:

G

Unregistered
how do i know if i already have a trans cooler and are the ones off ebay ok to buy?

pu-11-me

and put an LSD in it
First Name
Dawso
Drive
VW Touareg
how do i know if i already have a trans cooler and are the ones off ebay ok to buy?

Currently its "cooled" through the radiator but this is nowhere near enough for our harsh conditions.....

Do a search through the forum though, trans coolers have been spoken about A LOT on here, where to buy and which ones etc :)

pu-11-me

and put an LSD in it
First Name
Dawso
Drive
VW Touareg
to use some mercon multi something stuff.... cant remeber its full name now, it was like 66 bucks a container....... i got ripped huh....... DAMN IT THIS ALWAYS HAPPENS :mad:

Got some bad news for you Haley -

Extract from THIS site

SP-II, SP-III:

Mitsubishi automatic gearboxes require oil with special friction characteristics. The use of ATF type A or Type F will severely damage your belts and clutches and will cause rough gear shifts. The use of Dexron® and Mercon® will cause rough gear shifts and will shorten the transmission´s useful life. As a result of the cooperation between Mitsubishi and Hyundai in the development and production of vehicles and the purchase of Kia by Huyndai, Hyundai and Kia automatic transmissions also use this fluid. AMERICAN UNIVERSAL AUTOMATIC TRANSMISSION FLUID complies with specifications and SP-II y SP-III tests.​

G

Unregistered
but all the misty places and the golden grove guys said they use the one they put in my car!!!!!!!!!!!!
every one told me to go to the golden grove guys so i still would have ended up with this stuff in my car anyway :( oh well nothing i can do about it now.

still has to be better than the chocolate that was in there before and the car is running much better...... il give it at least 6 months before i change it again.

pu-11-me

and put an LSD in it
First Name
Dawso
Drive
VW Touareg
but all the misty places and the golden grove guys said they use the one they put in my car!!!!!!!!!!!!

still has to be better than the chocolate that was in there before and the car is running much better...... il give it at least 6 months before i change it again.

Mechanics can be such wankers.... They charge you through the ass for the incorrect product because they couldn't be bothered finding you what you need.... :banghead:

My local guy here tried that. I told him to stick it and that i'll do it myself before he gave me what i asked for.

And yes, it will be better than the chocolate brown for the moment i would imagine :)

Hotwire

1 AYC Bar
Premium Member
First Name
Lee
Drive
97 COTY
Hayley check your invoice, it should state EXACTLY the fluid they used. If it doesn't ring them and get them to tell you the name of the fluid used. There are companies now who make a fluid for the Mitsubishi AT's that have the correct High Friction components (Valvoline is one) but if they have used a Dexron III Based fluid its no good.

Top Bottom