First Name
Bill
Drive
2000 Galant Type-V
1997 MK Triton GLS [6G74 conversion]
2019 i30 N-Line
depends on what you want to do.

logging/DTCs only:
Hardware: a VAGCOM cable will give you connectivity quite cheap and easily. Just need to find one that uses FTDI chipsets rather than CH340. FTDI is more supported.
Software: Evoscan will read and log parameters. its quite cheap.

Reflashing (depending on ECU processor) will need additional hardware added to the VAGCOM to feed power into 12pin connector like the schematic. Then software to flash the ECU using FTDI.

Otherwise a turnkey solution might be a Tatrix Openport2.0 and ECUFlash to reflash. Can use the Openport with other vehicles and/or software as it's j2534 compliant, and can use it with Evoscan for logging.

Last edited:

brett44

Idling at the Lights
First Name
brett
Drive
outlander 2003
thanks for reply just dtcs/logging ( definitely no reflashing!)
I've been using obdlink mx+ on an older ford for some years really great getting live data to diagnose issues.
Vagcom might be the solution, thanks very much for that. Do you know anyone who supplies using good quality ftdi chip?
I see plenty on aliexpress and ebay, hoping for something that I can just plugin and it will connect.
It turns out the russian site cant supply at the moment as paypal and banks cant accept from abroad, so they are out of action for some time.
Can I ask some questions about wiring on the obd port on this forum? ( mitsubishi outlander)

brett44

Idling at the Lights
First Name
brett
Drive
outlander 2003
so I ordered some chinese vagcoms with ftdi chips, might not last long but will get me started I hope. Have researched a bit more, will take your advice and try evoscan software , if I can get a connection with the k-line. Will post results some stage in future, thanks for that.

professor_jonny

Idling at the Lights
First Name
Jonathan
Drive
Mitisuibishi 1998 RVR X3 auto rallysport
so i'm quite excited to find some folk working on mut2 in Oz/Nz I have outlander 2003. Been researching how to connect for some time.
I have found info via some russian forums ( using google translate) there is small business in russia ( I think) has pretty much worked it all out.
They even have put up a circuit diagram to build your own obd device based on FTDI chip ( attached). They also have software. I must admit I am quite the novice at this, so I'm really hoping this will spark your interest and might lead to me being able to get some device working with my car.
( basically I just want to read codes/clear codes and get live data for diagnose problems).
Anyhow here is link to the part of the site that has the ftdi chip details ( how to build device) ( tranlsated via google first):
attached is diagram. If this is of interest I can put up alot more info, they have forum with alot of info, its a bit of a hassle to translate, but google does it automatically once you start so not too bad.
They also sell units already built, if need links I can put them up. they have usb and wifi types, ( no bluetooth as yet I think I could be wrong).

I Have MMC log it was mad by a guy on a russian RVR/ airtrek froum:
I have diagrams and code in my PR it was specifically made with for cars with JOBD connections.

brett44

Idling at the Lights
First Name
brett
Drive
outlander 2003
Hi Prof J,
thanks for info I go over your github, I see you have a great understanding of many of these systems. And heaps of info there.
Basically I want to use torquepro ( or similar) to read/clear codes and for live data ( for diagnose issues), what would you recommend would be the simplest/cheapest way to achieve this with Mut2 system ? At the moment it appears to me that Blackstealth mut2 to obd converter would suit this purpose seen on this forum ( he is in canada)
https://www.3si.org/threads/convert-obd1-mut-into-canbus-obd2-for-torque-app.809906/
I have only used obdlink mx+ with ford and forscan program, very simple to use. So I'm a novice though some basic understanding obd/mut2 via internet searches but no hands on experience thus far.

brett44

Idling at the Lights
First Name
brett
Drive
outlander 2003
I did come across this diy version which might be of interest to someone ( certainly gives some understanding of the basics which is where I'm at) for reading k-line ( not sure if it would work with mut2 though).

brett44

Idling at the Lights
First Name
brett
Drive
outlander 2003
So for me this is a big discovery ( probably not for others) pin1 on the obd connector needs to be grounded for ecu to go into communication mode........its a start......took a long time to find this out.

professor_jonny

Idling at the Lights
First Name
Jonathan
Drive
Mitisuibishi 1998 RVR X3 auto rallysport
Hi Prof J,
thanks for info I go over your github, I see you have a great understanding of many of these systems. And heaps of info there.
Basically I want to use torquepro ( or similar) to read/clear codes and for live data ( for diagnose issues), what would you recommend would be the simplest/cheapest way to achieve this with Mut2 system ? At the moment it appears to me that Blackstealth mut2 to obd converter would suit this purpose seen on this forum ( he is in canada)
https://www.3si.org/threads/convert-obd1-mut-into-canbus-obd2-for-torque-app.809906/
I have only used obdlink mx+ with ford and forscan program, very simple to use. So I'm a novice though some basic understanding obd/mut2 via internet searches but no hands on experience thus far.
you cant really go past evoscan and a vag cable or official openport I have had a few bluetooth cables work with my rvr with the torque app but it was buggy.

brett44

Idling at the Lights
First Name
brett
Drive
outlander 2003
So I ordered/recieved canbus converter from Blackstealth in Canada, converts the mut2 to canbus ( I think!) anyhow it connected to ecu first try ( with torquepro app) I am absolutely over the moon, it cost about $140aud all up to get it here to oz, but solved my problem. I can now read/clear dtcs and live data on pids ( albeit pids are a bit limited eg no auto trans pids). But its got me started, this stuff is indeed a rabbit hole, can really get lost in all the information out there. They guy really knows what he is doing ( electrical/software engineer ) and expert on mut2, he has quite few other devices also, but this is just bare bones device to get started.
this was the forum where I found him

Razet66

Idling at the Lights
First Name
David
Drive
Mitsubishi Evo VI
I was just looking at this thread out of interest and was wondering why you would bother with converting MUT to OBDII when you could just convert MUT to NBP (Numeric Broadcast Protocol) using the arduino and use bluetooth, WIFI or a USB interface to log and display the data on apps such as Track Addict which have lots of nice features like real time telemetry, data syncing with GPS location, lap timing, video sync, OBD2 sync and data overlay on video through RaceRender. It seems to be overcomplicating things by converting data into the OBD2 format when there is a generic data format available in NBP which is readily read by this app?

kc427

Leaving Skid Marks
Lifetime Member
First Name
KC
Drive
VR4
I was just looking at this thread out of interest and was wondering why you would bother with converting MUT to OBDII when you could just convert MUT to NBP (Numeric Broadcast Protocol) using the arduino and use bluetooth, WIFI or a USB interface to log and display the data on apps such as Track Addict which have lots of nice features like real time telemetry, data syncing with GPS location, lap timing, video sync, OBD2 sync and data overlay on video through RaceRender. It seems to be overcomplicating things by converting data into the OBD2 format when there is a generic data format available in NBP which is readily read by this app?

My thought is converting to OBDII can be used easily, as many of the app support OBDII to show the real time data, eg, one of the popular app Torque. Also, there are many nice dashboard app which are also using OBDII protocol, and that's why I want to convert MUT to OBDII. I don't prefer the idea to use a particular app only to show the data, as it is not quite "open" compared to other apps.

kc427

Leaving Skid Marks
Lifetime Member
First Name
KC
Drive
VR4
So I ordered/recieved canbus converter from Blackstealth in Canada, converts the mut2 to canbus ( I think!) anyhow it connected to ecu first try ( with torquepro app) I am absolutely over the moon, it cost about $140aud all up to get it here to oz, but solved my problem. I can now read/clear dtcs and live data on pids ( albeit pids are a bit limited eg no auto trans pids). But its got me started, this stuff is indeed a rabbit hole, can really get lost in all the information out there. They guy really knows what he is doing ( electrical/software engineer ) and expert on mut2, he has quite few other devices also, but this is just bare bones device to get started.
this was the forum where I found him
I have read that too, that's quite professional, and Blackstealth has tons of knowledge about MUT2, SRS, ABS protocol that I don't know.

kc427

Leaving Skid Marks
Lifetime Member
First Name
KC
Drive
VR4
Actually, I have done something before and can convert basic MUT2 to OBD2, then OBD2 to Bluetooth to tablet app, and viewing live reading, eg speed, rpm, throttle, water temp. However, it's a bit slow/laggy when viewing on the app. You can see that in youtube,

billy.vr4

Idling at the Lights
First Name
Billys
Drive
Vr4
Actually, I have done something before and can convert basic MUT2 to OBD2, then OBD2 to Bluetooth to tablet app, and viewing live reading, eg speed, rpm, throttle, water temp. However, it's a bit slow/laggy when viewing on the app. You can see that in youtube,
can you inform me where you found the code for the arduino?..and general information about the implementation of this build

kc427

Leaving Skid Marks
Lifetime Member
First Name
KC
Drive
VR4
thanks for the answer... because I'm a beginner, is there a code (arduino nano)somewhere ready with the wiring?
you can find a lot from google, find from some keyword, eg, arduino, obd2, etc

BCX

Administrator
First Name
Bill
Drive
2000 Galant Type-V
1997 MK Triton GLS [6G74 conversion]
2019 i30 N-Line

I have a better example somewhere, will update it when I find it and document the electronics side too.

billy.vr4

Idling at the Lights
First Name
Billys
Drive
Vr4

I have a better example somewhere, will update it when I find it and document the electronics side too.
So is it possible to make this conversion?? I've been trying for days but I can't figure out what's going on....I want to connect with Torque pro

Top Bottom