Power Supply Help!!!!!!

king_panther

Gettin' tanked
First Name
Brad
Drive
2012 VW Caddy 1.6TDI 7-Speed DSG. Still crappy DSG.....
Hey dudes,

I got my nephew a small-form factor Lenovo ThinkCentre M55 as a new computer.
It's only got a PCI-E 1x slot for a video card, so I hunted around & found one.

One problem; it requires a 400w or greater power supply. & the one in the computer is 225w.

Here's the power supply in question, notice the ridge sticking out?

IMG_20120223_094949.jpg

IMG_20120223_095002.jpg

I've tried Googling help to upgrade it, but not having much luck, so I thought I'd ask for help on here :)

hozza

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Nathan
Drive
97 COTY manual legnum.(gone)
96 GTO MR
S13 silvia
Whats the question? That ridge sholdnt matter i normal power supply should fit.

Sleepyvr4

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Andrew Reddel
Drive
1997 Vr4 Legnum
Probably going to be easier to buy a cheap case than try find a power supply that will fit

king_panther

Gettin' tanked
First Name
Brad
Drive
Sorry, the question was finding an upgraded power supply that will fit in the chassis. It's a pretty tight fit in this PC.

The motherboard encroaches in the space under where the ridge sticks out.

parepin

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Andy
Drive
4G93 Mirage
#HairdresserCivic
I don't like your chances...
It's often impossible to find upgraded parts that are the same size as custom OEM ones like this. That's how they get it so packed in the small form factor ones.
I agree with Andrew, probably best to find a cheap fullsize case, or maybe a HTPC style one that will fit that motherboard, if it's even a standard Mini/Micro-ATX size.
And if it's that packed in there, I'd have serious concerns about cooling the card too. OEM systems are shocking for airflow.

Good luck!

edit: The other option is ghettoing up a SFX-sized PSU meant for a small system such as this...
http://umart.com.au/pro/products_listnew.phtml?id=10&id2=140&bid=2&sid=65664

fieldy107

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Chris
Drive
Galant VR4
I have a stack of broken down Lenovo computers at work. it's like they were designed to fail once out of warranty, 3 died within a 2 month period ( we only had about 6 in total). The lesson here is, stay away from pre packaged pcs, build your own or have someone build it to your specs.

Interloper

Leaving Skid Marks
Premium Member
First Name
Andrew
Drive
2000 Legnum S Man, NX Paj, CBR1000RRSP2, CRF450
if desperate and plenty of time you could try and transplant the internals from the higher rated PSU into that form....

king_panther

Gettin' tanked
First Name
Brad
Drive
It's just a cheap ex-government PC, but is absolutely dust free & spotless inside. I didn't want a tower as not enough space where it has to go, & a LCD monitor will sit on top of it.

Have had it for a couple of weeks now & has been running flawlessly until this came up. The videocard is a purpose small form factor size for these types of computers, just the damn powersupply is now the issue.

king_panther

Gettin' tanked
First Name
Brad
Drive
Idea;

Can a run ATX/SATA power extension cables to an external power supply?

fieldy107

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Chris
Drive
Galant VR4
Have you tried running it on the 320w power supply? manufacturers often get a little bit carried away with minimum power specs, just to be safe of course, but they have no idea how much power your computer is consuming already. So if the 320w power supply is running a CPU with low power consumption and minimal amounts of devices (hdds, cdroms etc), it might still have enough juice in it to power the card. Just a thought, if it works it could save you some trouble.

Shamwow

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Mike
Drive
Commodore (dont hate, its for work) & MY16 WRX Premium
Sorry to change topic.... but does that say $2.40 for a schooner?

Nitephyre

Flaccid Member
Lifetime Member
First Name
Matt :)
Drive
1963 Toyota Lite-Stout & 2007 Toyota Blade Master G
You're pretty buggered Bradeous. I also wouldn't recommend using another power supply with extension cables etc as if you get slightly different variances in voltage etc it can make shit go bye bye.

Have you actually tried another video card yet?

Ernz1981

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Ernz
Drive
1997 Galant VR4
i agree with matt above...don't recommend running a psu not oem which isn't meant for that kind of case/mb combo

you'll find that the voltage regulators aren't cooled properly.........and when running a powerful aftermarket graphics card you'll break the motherboard..due to the higher temps..

everything in those kind of cases is "engineered" kinda of like our Galants/legnums...tight fit and everything is positioned in it's spot for a reason and a pita to work on...

Top Bottom