Quad projector refit

rockit

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Robert
Drive
2000 Legnum
UPDATED!
So i finally got around to finishing these off!

- low beams.
- morimoto H1 projector 2/5" lenses
- 35W ballasts
- high/low beam solenoid connected.
- mini gatling gun shroud.
- aluminium mounting plate to preserve factory adjusting mechanism without need for original reflector
-75mm CCFL angel eyes​

- High beams
- removed the high beam reflector bowl
- made up mounting plate for morimoto D2S projectors with 3" lenses
- 55W ballasts and bulbs
- removed high/low beam cutoff shield so projector is only high beam.
-85mm CCFL angel eyes
-gatling gun style shrouds (not the ones TRS sells, these are full size 3" shrouds in a similar style to the mini-gatling gun shrouds used on the mini H1s, had to be modified heavily to work!)

to get it all finished I had to make up a new headlight housing shroud, I originally modified the fatory ones as shown here:

IMG_20120907_105356.jpg

But with the new chrome shrouds on the 3" lenses there was no way the factory cover could fit in!

so I made up a new black plastic shroud .. it basically covers up everything that shouldn't be seen.

the chrome shroud for the 3" lens is fixed to the black cover piece, I had originally intended to have it fitted to the projector, but unfortunately if I did so the projector had no vertical adjustment (the shroud was the same width as the headlight so it couldnt go up or down!).. so by fixing the shroud to the cover the projector is free to move around behind the shroud by a few mm, which is plenty to get the light pattern exactly right.

the mini projector sticks through a hole in the black plastic cover, it has ~5mm clearance around it so that it can be adjusted as necessary. there is a black tube with the same diameter as the base of the gatling gun shroud around the base of the mini projector to hide the reflector bowl and solenoid and give a generally more professional feel!

I also added CCFL angel eyes.

so here are the results!
IMG_20130326_164244.jpg
IMG_20130326_164526.jpg

Oh, I also managed to fit the ballasts into the headlight housings:), and re-wired the ballast power plugs with some H$ plugs to mate up to the stock wiring loom!

so another pic, no ballasts, no obviously aftermarket wiring plugs!
IMG_20130326_164639.jpg

steveP

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Steve
Drive
VR4 Galant
Looks pretty neat. You should remove the reflector behind the low beam.

jomz

Hesitantly Boosting
First Name
Joe
Drive
Mitsubishi Legnum White!!
nice headlights... now all you need is a good car wash :p

rockit

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Robert
Drive
2000 Legnum
nice work.. :)

keen to see how the 55w HID work on the Morimotos

ill get some pics of them when its dark..

haven't had a chance to really compare them in detail yet, but from the bit of testing I did the 55w are much brighter, but the light pattern is a bit inconsistent (one has a bright spot, the other a dim spot) i have put this down as a problem with the cheap ebay bulbs though..

rockit

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Robert
Drive
2000 Legnum
also does anyone know if anyone has been defected etc. due to HIDs in their galant/legnum?

naughtika

OzVR4 Stalker
First Name
Christian
Drive
'96 Galant VR4, '17 MB A180, '25 Macan GTS
ill get some pics of them when its dark..

haven't had a chance to really compare them in detail yet, but from the bit of testing I did the 55w are much brighter, but the light pattern is a bit inconsistent (one has a bright spot, the other a dim spot) i have put this down as a problem with the cheap ebay bulbs though..

no need for the pics as Im sure it'll be hella bright :)

Im more concerned with the heat that the 55w bulbs emit.. as far as I remember they are not recommended on the morimoto simply because the heat tends to burn the chroming out of the projector chrome body.. not trying to sway you away from using it, just thought I'd mention cause Im pretty sure you've put in alot of time on this project

also does anyone know if anyone has been defected etc. due to HIDs in their galant/legnum?

for all the 15 sets that I've made, I only know 1 guy - TTVR4.. not sure why he got defected though..

also Macca I think.. but he can reply/add to this if he would like to..

rockit

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Robert
Drive
2000 Legnum
thanks for the heads up, hadn't even thought about the extra heat being a problem..

just had a quick search and found that TRS sells the mini D2S projector kits with the 55w ballasts as an option, and a few people on their forums saying their D2S are fine with 55w bulbs. so i'm hoping it will work, think it may be mainly the mini H1 that cant use them as theres no 55w option with them, and the 55w ballasts say not compatible with the mini H1..

hopefully it will last *fingers crossed*!

Jonson

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Jon
Drive
MY15 X MR
I've had 2 people defected running the projector lights. That being said, their globes were very blue, so it attracted attention. The whiter you can keep the light the more secret panda you'll be.
Your car/lights don't comply with ADR's. There is no self levelling operation, there is also no lens sprayer.

steveP

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Steve
Drive
VR4 Galant
I've had HIDs for 2 years and the projectors for the last year. So far no problems. I think you also need to make sure your lights are dipped low and not blinding on-coming traffic.

dwarfmarine

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Cameron
Drive
Previous: Black PFL Legnum
Current: TD5 Land Rover Disco
I've got mine (Christian special) but opted for the 4300k bulbs to keep it close to stock
ive also got the cutoff adjusted quite low to avoid any extra attention.

rockit

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Robert
Drive
2000 Legnum
I've had 2 people defected running the projector lights. That being said, their globes were very blue, so it attracted attention. The whiter you can keep the light the more secret panda you'll be.
Your car/lights don't comply with ADR's. There is no self levelling operation, there is also no lens sprayer.

I put 6000k bulbs in them, too blue? I chose them as they were a bit bluish, but still well within the allowed temperature colours to be legit (know the retrofit isnt legal, but i made them trying to follow the spirit of the rules anyway)

and I know they most definitely aren't compliant with the ADRs that would involve far too much testing.. but i tried to do them within the spirit of the rules anyway.

I'm actually considering ordering in a washer bottle kit and installing the jets on the bumper to spray up onto the lights for a lens sprayer (again just to stay within the spirit of the rules...)

as for the auto leveling thing, i cant actually find it in the ADRS so dont know what it actually has to do! :001_unsure: have read through 13, 46, 77 (all the ones to do with headlights) and cant find it in any of them, the only thing I could find referring to leveling devices was:

"5.2.1. Headlamps shall be fitted with a device enabling them to be so adjusted on the vehicle as to comply with the rules applicable to them. Such a device need not be fitted on units in which the reflector and the diffusing lens cannot be separated, provided the use of such units is confined to vehicles on which the headlamps setting can be adjusted by other means."

I swear I read something in them before about auto leveling devices but cant find it now! whoever decided on the adoption of the UNECE rules in this appendix format was insane, seems they are more concerned with markings and approvals than actual technical requirements!

matters little anyway i guess seeing even if I had the auto leveling device it would still be illegal without a engineering report by a chartered professional engineer... and that would probably cost more than my entire car cost -.-

Macca

Showing some Leg.
First Name
Craig 'Macca' Mclean
Drive
2000 Mitsubishi Legnum Type S
Yeah I got defected for it earlier on in the year, it sucked big time. I have them back in now though.

rockit

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Robert
Drive
2000 Legnum
Updated original post with my 2nd try at the retrofit! (new shrouds, covers, CCFL angel eyes, wiring etc!)

Top Bottom