Reverse lights not always working

G

Unregistered
Ok i have done a search and found nothing, Sometimes when i put the leggie into reverse the reverse lights don't always come on. I have a manual, i have been told he could be to do with a switch at the front of the gearbox. Anyone know whereabouts and if i can be fixed

naughtika

OzVR4 Stalker
First Name
Christian
Drive
'96 Galant VR4, '17 MB A180, '25 Macan GTS
mine was doing the same thing til it totally stopped working..

stock part number for the reverse light SWITCH is MD730979 which also is the same with the V6 HJ Galant

Tridon has an oem replacement

Part number is TRS016

cost about $25 from Supercheap..

G

Unregistered
The lights are working, i have replaced the bulbs. They just don't always seem to realise the car is in reverse. They work every so often. thats why i think it is something to do with the gear box

G

Unregistered
it seems when i put the car in reverse and i move the gearstick up slightly the reverse lights come on. How can i fix this???

naughtika

OzVR4 Stalker
First Name
Christian
Drive
only way you can fix it is to replace the switch..

mine was doing the EXACT same thing as with your car.. eventually it'll stop working..

how do i know mine totally stopped working? my reverse camera stopped working as well :)

G

Unregistered
how much is the switch and where can u buy it from???

G

Unregistered
All the info you need is above, in the second post. I think Christian meant to write "reverse light switch" rather than just "reverse light".

MD730979 SWITCH,M/T GEARSHIFT BACKUP LAMP

naughtika

OzVR4 Stalker
First Name
Christian
Drive
edited & updated my reply above..

just dont mention its for a legnum or vr4.. otherwise you'll just confuse the sales agent..

G

Unregistered
yeah sorry bout that...lol
thats wat happens when u are working and trying to read quick :)

G

Unregistered
Yeah no probs, found them in stock at autobarn for $28. Which is good as car is goin for a roadworthy 2morrow !!!!

naughtika

OzVR4 Stalker
First Name
Christian
Drive
are you gonna replace this switch or the mech?

if you are, I think you will need a 22mm spanner or a socket if you can get it in without damaging the connector

G

Unregistered
just goin to replace the part #tsr016, think that is jut the switch. Whereabouts is it located on the car and is it easy to replace???? I have only had the leggy for 2 weeks and am trying to learn how to work on it. Never had alot of experience working on cars, but i know this car will cost me alot if i don't learn stuff... I used the how to guide on the weekend to replace my front struts, so that saved some $$$$$$ :)

naughtika

OzVR4 Stalker
First Name
Christian
Drive
remove your airbox and look down.. you will then see a wire connector leading to the gearbox.. and you'll see it..

G

Unregistered
Thanks very much, this forum is a great help :)

mephisto

Idling at the Lights
First Name
Matt
Drive
Galant VR-4 PFL
:) lucky I saw this thread, my car has been doin the same too. I just hope it's easier than the alternator swap was.

Top Bottom