#Skids4Jesus
Lifetime Member
First Name
Cameron
Drive
1997 White Legnum VR4
2010 50cc Scooter - Daily
Hey guys,

Noticed today that my reversing lights have decided to be on ALL the time, regardless of what gear I'm in.

Changed gears all around and put it in neutral and everything, still on. On the entire time the key is in the ON position.

Is it a simple fix? I'm sorry if this is a stupid questions, I just don't know how that works, I guess there might be a sensor somewhere. Sorry for the dumbs.

PFL Manual Legnum. Any info would be great, I did a search on the forum and couldn't find anything, but if there is something here please link me :)

Cheers

vr4cobra

1 AYC Bar
First Name
T-J
Drive
1996 Galant VR4
probably a faulty reverse switch. Its on top of the gearbox around the middle if I remember correctly (sorry I don't have a pic and been a while since I did mine) only has 2 wires on it, disconnect the plug and see if they go out if so that's more then likely it.

pretzil

2 AYC Bars
First Name
Rick
Drive
Legnum VR4
If not, do you have a towbar? (However unlikely) Very common cause of light issues is shorting out through a trailer plug...

PHIL069

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Phil
Drive
FTO
+1 on the reverse switch on the gearbox. This is a good place to start.
It could also be the 2 wires shorting onto each other and keeping a constant closed circuit.
When you remove the switch you will find that It has a small ball bearing that gets pressed up to activate the switch.
Sometimes the ball can get stuck and giving it a good clean out with brake clean can get it working again.
Worth a try before you order a replacement.

Tophler

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Alex
Drive
1999 VR4 FL Legnum w recaro and momo
replacements available very cheap at auto one and hasn't failed me in the 2 years i've had the car

Cameron McPherson

#Skids4Jesus
Lifetime Member
First Name
Cameron
Drive
1997 White Legnum VR4
Love your work, Christian, that thread is great! And thanks to you other guys as well. Seems I've found my next little job :)

Cameron McPherson

#Skids4Jesus
Lifetime Member
First Name
Cameron
Drive
1997 White Legnum VR4
Okay, located the switch easy enough, just gotta find some time to get it out and such.

Any chance a faulty switch might cause my battery to drain? Just got the car back from the mechanics and he said most days he had to jump start it. Battery is only a few months old and I hadn't had any problems leading up to it, I'd even gone away on vacation for two weeks and came back with the car starting first time. Car was fine when I got it back Friday, and started it a few time - Alternator is cranking out 14v and charging the battery, but when I went to start it today the battery was dead. :(

Will do a search to see what might be the cause, but thought I'd ask if it could be related to the switch? Reverse lights are on always when the key is in in ON position, but obviously off when the key is out and the car is locked, like it has been in my garage since Friday.

snuff vr4

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Adrian
Drive
2JZ Cressida
2JZ Prado
Miss VR4's
+1 on the reverse light switch. Just did mine last month too the Tridon part number is TRS 016

Your battery drain issue is VERY interesting! Mine was also draining the battery when it had the dodgy sensor in there. Thought it was unrelated as the lights only come on with ignition but for both of us to have the same thing happen... battery hasn't been flat since. Odd

Cameron McPherson

#Skids4Jesus
Lifetime Member
First Name
Cameron
Drive
1997 White Legnum VR4
Update: Changed the old faulty switch with the Tridon replacement part ($28 for Autobarn). Had to remove my intake to get at the switch, and after getting the right socket it changed over pretty easily.

Gave my battery a full overnight charge and it's back to normal - haven't had a drain since and that was two weeks ago. Also did a parasitic drain test with a multimeter and didn't turn up anything once the switch was changed.

Top Bottom