Shocking Radio Reception....

Outlanded

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Brent
Drive
97 Legnum VR-4
Hey Guys,

put in my alpine gear last night... all works sweet but the radio.... i got signal.. but its pretty crappy... i put power to the antenna wire as well? is the thin blue/white wire possibly related to this as this was unknown on the wiring specs in another thread?

Any help would be good.. cheers
brent

BCX

Administrator
First Name
Bill
Drive
2000 Galant Type-V
1997 MK Triton GLS [6G74 conversion]
2019 i30 N-Line
The lead that your antenna plug(s) are on, there a single black wire, you need to feed it 12v, unsure on what current it needs, so i didnt let the HU power it, i just hardwired it to ACC.

Glass antenna has an amplifier - in a galant, its in passenger side C Pillar. No sure on the legnum setup.

BCX

Administrator
First Name
Bill
Drive
2000 Galant Type-V
2019 i30 N-Line
wow, post is from 2007???

it said it was a new post lol...

well i'll leave this here as an FYI incase someone comes accross this.

dwarfmarine

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Cameron
Drive
Previous: Black PFL Legnum
Current: TD5 Land Rover Disco
i might look into this while you've revived this thread...
my radio reception has always been shite.

mfbamba

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Misagh
Drive
1997 Legnum
Mine was good when I had my old unit, when I changed to a new sony one AM went to shit. I like AM...

ed84

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Eddie
Drive
09' Mitsubishi SWB Pajero NT X DiD, Honda CBR250rr
HAD: 99' Legnum s 2 Type S, 98' Galant S2 Type V
AM? wow, how conservative of you...
My leggie, like many jap cars, had two antenna's - i bought an adaptor thing that goes two female two one male - then into my alpine HU. I read reviews that this makes it worse due to two antennas picking up slighty differently, but i did it anyway and it was slightly better. I can get past Port adelaide without losing reception now... but not much further :LOL:

my 2 Mhz...

G

Unregistered
The Legnum has a double Diversity antenna setup. There is a high-gain antenna is one rear side glass, and a low-gain in the other.

The purpose of this is to minimise reflections off buildings in dense city areas (think: Tokyo skyscrapers) where radio stations have to be re-broadcast to be picked up in there. One of the antenna plugs behind the head unit is large and one is small, and usually aftermarket head units only have a single large size socket. So this is why often there will be one stray connector back there.

I still have my MMCS unit, and I put two frequency expanders in, with an adapter for the smaller plug, and can receive radio reception well into the country. You really need both connected for the system to work properly.

BCX

Administrator
First Name
Bill
Drive
2000 Galant Type-V
2019 i30 N-Line
Yep, except in a galant, both antennas are in back windscreen.

Connecting one lead is ok, but both is better.

And you gotta make sure the thing is powered! The loom has two antenna plugs and a single wire terminated with a plug. That needs 12v or the whole antenna won't work.

G

Unregistered
Cool, I did not realise the power needed to be plugged in up the front. I though it would have had its own power hooked up back near the antenna. So where does the power lead go, it is a separately connected behind the head unit or on the factory stereo is it actually connected into the head unit instead?

dwarfmarine

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Cameron
Drive
So is there an adapter we can buy to go from (what looks like a mini antenna plug) to 2 leads(pod and neg) oor do we just give it the snip?

dwarfmarine

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Cameron
Drive
yeah i'd been browsing on the iphone and scrolled right past the ebay link by mistake

ill order one of them and give it a go.

popped int the local Car Audio install mob and he said that it should work fine without plugging the second antenna in..
(keeping in mind this group of clowns installed the headunit in my old laser with the twist and tape method.. no a single solder join or bannana plug in sight :/ )

Scradam

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Adam
Drive
Manual Series 2 VR4 Legnum
I just purchased one.
I'll report back once it arrives.

dwarfmarine

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Cameron
Drive
I paid for one about an hour and a half ago, just got a message from eBay sayin it's been shipped!

Top Bottom