Shocking Radio Reception....

David-777

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
David
Drive
1998 VR4 Manual
Ok so I had the reception problem too. Strangely it would be fine at times, then SH@# others. Also when I opened my door it would start rapidly cutting in and out.

I've seen some descriptions above but nothing with photos, So I'm gonna upload mine here so people can see coz i'm sure it pisses you guys off just as much as me.

You'll need:

A phillips head screwdriver. (For the screw that hold the radio unit in)
A flat head and cloth (To remove the console)
Electrical tape
Wire cutters
Soldering Iron (If you want to do it properly)

Also fixed my clock today, but forgot to take photos :(

2013-07-19 19.18.50.jpg
2013-07-19 19.19.11.jpg
2013-07-19 19.19.17.jpg
2013-07-19 19.22.13.jpg

Nitephyre

Flaccid Member
Lifetime Member
First Name
Matt :)
Drive
1963 Toyota Lite-Stout & 2007 Toyota Blade Master G
You're kidding me?!... all it took was to hook the power wire from the radio to (obviously) the power plug for the antenna? I always thought that was for people who had automatic up/down aerials. I know what I'm doing this weekend :D

BCX

Administrator
First Name
Bill
Drive
2000 Galant Type-V
1997 MK Triton GLS [6G74 conversion]
2019 i30 N-Line
The female end of the single pin plug ends up at the plug to the radio.

I thought that making sure power antenna wire from head unit or power from acc circuit (if hu cant supply more than 200mA) was connected to amplifier is the fix in the first instance?

Edit: just had a look at start of thread... I mentioned feeding power to this

dwarfmarine

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Cameron
Drive
Previous: Black PFL Legnum
Current: TD5 Land Rover Disco
So we can either use antenna power or accessories(for an amp for example) from our aftermarket HU to feed power to this?

BCX

Administrator
First Name
Bill
Drive
2000 Galant Type-V
1997 MK Triton GLS [6G74 conversion]
2019 i30 N-Line
Yep... Provided your head unit can supply enough current for it. (I seem to remember it drew 200mA if some can confirm? But I might be way off...) Otherwise tie it to switched acc at headunit.

Also, those std aerpro pioneer to mitsu adaptors etc that you can get from failbarn, supercheap have this pin already connected from memory. Except the problem I had is my headunit didn't have a dedicated power ant output. So I cut the wire and soldered to switched 12v wire. I decided against putting on the switched amp output due to the current it drew.

Just means the antenna amp runs even if the headunit is off... Which is never.

dwarfmarine

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Cameron
Drive
Ran a wire from the amp/antenna power from the HU piggy backed(have an amp as well)
to the male connector.

Somewhat improved it. Get some reception on other stations now, but still a bit static-y
(only get 96.1 crystal clear here in Sydney, could rarely pick up other)

Nitephyre

Flaccid Member
Lifetime Member
First Name
Matt :)
Drive
1963 Toyota Lite-Stout & 2007 Toyota Blade Master G
Hmm Ok, since I use one of those harness adaptors I'll have to check it's connected properly... if it is then I'll work something else out heh.

marksanne

Hesitantly Boosting
First Name
Mark
Drive
1999 8G VR2 Galant & 1996 8G VR4 Galant
By coincidence, I had bad radio reception on my 8G V6 N/A Galant. Not surprising as the antenna was removed completely by the previous owner. I thought about a shark fin antenna, but thankfully ran into a much neater and cleaner (and supercheap) solution originally posted here: http://www.ek9.org/forum/resource-area/31048-diy-internal-home-made-car-antenna.html
I bought a 3kV / 1000pF capacitor and here's a few pictures of my install. Very good radio reception and still a usable demister!

monster-radio1.JPG

monster-radio2.JPG

monster-radio3.JPG

ConnerS

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Nick
Drive
02 Legnum type S
98 Lancer Evo 5 GSR
So I did everything this thread tells me to do with everything plugged in with a y-splitter and power and I still get a lot of static.
I unplugged the power and then I get more volume.
I unpluged both leads and leave the splitter and its the same.
I plug just one aerial into the headunit without the splitter and its crystal clear.

These findings were completely opposite to my previous Legnum.
Go figure.

David-777

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
David
Drive
1998 VR4 Manual
FYI, for some reason when I open my door the reception turns to shite.

random101

Hesitantly Boosting
First Name
Dj
Drive
97 Legnum
I'm going to take it apart tomorrow I can't stand the poor reception. Current head unit is a Single din JVC hopefully hooking it up with some power should do the trick :)

random101

Hesitantly Boosting
First Name
Dj
Drive
97 Legnum
As an FYI...

Looks like this was already done - has some parts from NZ. In which case it's powered to the cig lighter, so I was getting shocking reception when I was charging my phone.

(It's strange if I put my finger in the socket I will get shocking reception) pretty interesting...

trotty

3 AYC Bars
First Name
Daniel Trotman
Drive
2000 vr4 Legnum 5 sp man
2006 Suzuki Swift Sport 5 sp man
As an FYI...

Looks like this was already done - has some parts from NZ. In which case it's powered to the cig lighter, so I was getting shocking reception when I was charging my phone.

(It's strange if I put my finger in the socket I will get shocking reception) pretty interesting...

I get weird noises too if I stick my finger in the hole. Oh, sorry thought we were talking bout women. Bahahahaha. Had to say it.

whats_doing

QLD Events Manager
First Name
Sam
Drive
98 PFL Black Legnum - SOLD
MY15 Hyosung GT650R
Ok so I had the reception problem too. Strangely it would be fine at times, then SH@# others. Also when I opened my door it would start rapidly cutting in and out.

I've seen some descriptions above but nothing with photos, So I'm gonna upload mine here so people can see coz i'm sure it pisses you guys off just as much as me.

You'll need:

A phillips head screwdriver. (For the screw that hold the radio unit in)
A flat head and cloth (To remove the console)
Electrical tape
Wire cutters
Soldering Iron (If you want to do it properly)

Also fixed my clock today, but forgot to take photos :(

With this, do you splice the blue power wire into the plug or just connect the blue wire going to the antenna? Going to give this a go today.

David-777

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
David
Drive
1998 VR4 Manual
Blue wire goes to the plug. Not the antenna wire. From memory they both come from the same place.

dwarfmarine

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Cameron
Drive
Top Bottom