Short Shifter for manuals

REI600

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Ian
Drive
1998 Legnum VR4 5 spd Manual
1996 Mazda Proceed 4x4
Project - Datsun 1600 Turbo rotary conv.
Hey Guys,

I have been reading this and there seems to be dribbs and drabbs of info on here about a "how to" guide. It all seems pretty straight forward. As I am looking to get this done tomorrow or Sunday, I am thinking of putting up a more recent "How-to".

There MAY have been images up here at some stage to aid in the installation but, seems the links for them are long dead.

If anyone can give me any pointers to make this process smoother, I'd appreciate it.

PS: Brilliant excuse to get a new dremel machine (^_^) Cannot go wrong!

Thanks in advance.

Gav

1 AYC Bar
Lifetime Member
First Name
Gav
Drive
Galant
Mines just been finished along with my manual conversion. Yep Very close to the hand brake in reverse. In the picture the car is in nuetral. Need to work on this or find a better gear knob
image.png

NuffNuff

1 AYC Bar
Lifetime Member
First Name
Damian
Drive
GTI, GTI, FL Manual Legnum VR4
just undo the grub screw on the ball that adjusts the height and rotate the shifter so the bend goes to the left, the shifter will have some more holes around it to locate the grub again so the bend can face any which way

Gav

1 AYC Bar
Lifetime Member
First Name
Gav
Drive
Galant

Kaldek

2 AYC Bars
First Name
Ed
Drive
2000 Legnum VR4 Manual, Ford Territory family runabout, BMW K1300R.
I bought a kit, then in the end I didn't fit it. Instead I installed solid shifter bushings. It gave me what I was looking for, which was a solid and direct feel.

NuffNuff

1 AYC Bar
Lifetime Member
First Name
Damian
Drive
GTI, GTI, FL Manual Legnum VR4
duracon might be better for comfort and grip, oem (new) or momo is really good

BCX

Administrator
First Name
Bill
Drive
2000 Galant Type-V
1997 MK Triton GLS [6G74 conversion]
2019 i30 N-Line
Sorry to dig up an old thread.

I installed a short shifter over the weekend.

• My kit doesn't interfere with the handbrake when in reverse, bend not to the left, pointing down.
  • Needed to use the spacers (replace rubber bushes), but then use the additional washer supplied to space the rear of the shifter to keep it the bottom of shifter stalk form touching the body of the car.
  • Couldn't use the counter weight supplied, wasn't able to get the knob to thread. Plus made the boot look stretched.
  • As per other posts, cut some of the shifter away for the selector cable.

Havent driven it yet, but the selector feels good.

Link to kit i bought: https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/221853993952

Top Bottom