Short Shifter for manuals

ConnerS

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Nick
Drive
02 Legnum type S
98 Lancer Evo 5 GSR
Did you or Paul replace both ends of the cable? I'll be most likely looking to do both ends. If I want both ends I would need two kits yeah?

Macca

Showing some Leg.
First Name
Craig 'Macca' Mclean
Drive
2000 Mitsubishi Legnum Type S
You can only do the gearbox end. the other ends are completely different.

ConnerS

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Nick
Drive
02 Legnum type S
98 Lancer Evo 5 GSR
Thanks for the info Macca.
I placed an order for those Torque Solution bushes for the time being. If they don't make me happy then I'll just have to purchase the shifter as well.

unclepaulie

hellatemplate ;)
Lifetime Member
First Name
Paul
Drive
hairdresser spec lancer coupe
Which one did you get? FL and PFL are different.

mfbamba

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Misagh
Drive
1997 Legnum
Where are the black washers or the replacement ones you buy meant to go? over the thick blue ones? My cousin put mine in yesterday but we couldn't get 1st gear to work so had to put it on the normal throw. Basically no difference to stock. All we did was cut out some plastic at the front and took out the original rubber washers and sat them on the blue ones?

AKKO

2 AYC Bars
Lifetime Member
First Name
Chris
Drive
1998 Galant VR4 Type-V (Facelift)
How much plastic did you cut out... and which orientation is the shaft set at?

mfbamba

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Misagh
Drive
1997 Legnum
enough plastic was cut out so that its not in the way. the shaft was pointing to the left, and now it is pointing forward. couldn't get first either way.

AKKO

2 AYC Bars
Lifetime Member
First Name
Chris
Drive
The blue washer/bush things went underneath the plastic assembly yeah?

douwboy

Leaving Skid Marks
Premium Member
First Name
Joshua
Drive
2000 Legnum pearl white, manual, sunroof
You need to put the black shims under the blue spacers otherwise you won't shift into gear properly because the bottom of the gear stick will hit the floor.

mfbamba

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Misagh
Drive
1997 Legnum
The blue washer/bush things went underneath the plastic assembly yeah?
Yeah.

You need to put the black shims under the blue spacers otherwise you won't shift into gear properly because the bottom of the gear stick will hit the floor.

Im quite sure they are not in. Things would be easier with longer bolts then if I put in the black shims in? (some have done it without)

douwboy

Leaving Skid Marks
Premium Member
First Name
Joshua
Drive
2000 Legnum pearl white, manual, sunroof
TME Steve was the one that informed me that the shims had to go in underneath the blue spacers so that i can shift properly. And the original bolts still fit because you have to take the rubber grommets out which gives more room for the bolts to fit. You will see what i mean when its all together.

chardo

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
richard
Drive
2000 type S, Manual and Recaro's
From memory I had to put all four washers under the rear two bushes in order to stop the stick from fouling. I had issues with it hitting the trans tunnel when going into 2nd, and 4th when I had a washer under each bush.

Once it is all in and working this is a great mod.

mfbamba

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Misagh
Drive
1997 Legnum
I spoke to my cousin. He said there are two black washers that came with the kit under the left rear and two under the right rear like chardo set his up. He says that it just wouldn't go to first and there was no hitting of the floor.

First gear has always been a struggle to get into even with the stock shifter. Could it just be that? My gearbox was taken out by a previous owner to fix something?

The left side of the plastic was also cut a bit to give the ball that sticks out that way more room to move.

My cousin is a mechanic and says cause these kits are not for our cars and thats why it won't work. (I have told him that plenty others who aren't mechanics have done it on here)

AKKO

2 AYC Bars
Lifetime Member
First Name
Chris
Drive
Do you have the link to the kit you bought?

chardo

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
richard
Drive
2000 type S, Manual and Recaro's
You should be able to see if the bottom of the shifter is hitting the trans tunnel, if it is you will need to space it up some more.

There seems to be a bit of a variance between what people need to do in order to make the shift kits fit, this leads me to believe they may not have great quality control and there are subtle differences between the same kits...

BR1JZL

Hesitantly Boosting
First Name
Brian
Drive
EC5A VR-4 Galant
Just wondering what aftermarket gear knobs people have run with the EVO 4-8 short shifter install?

Akys

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Alvin
Drive
1996 Trigger Mauve Galant VR4
yes, there are the same thread pattern so lots of varieties to choose from

Top Bottom