Staged Upgrades

SiliconAngel

1 AYC Bar
First Name
SA, Trevor
Drive
'99 Legnum VR4 Black MT
How long's a piece of string? With enough abuse over a long enough time period ANYTHING can be broken...

Scubasteve

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
James
Drive
96 Mitsubishi Galant VR4 Manual
Just alot off posts on here ppl are concerned with breaking the ayc n diffs in these cars. Are these components considered weak on these vehicles like the Automatic gear boxes are? I've never driven a car were i was concerned i'd brake the diff from launching hard or breaking traction has anyone caused such damage from launching hard in one of these vehicles?

bradc

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Brad
Drive
Facelift Manual 400hp VR-4 Legnum
The pinion wheel moves slightly away from the crown wheel under very high load which destroys the teeth in short order. I wouldn't launch regularly with the stock diff. The problem was fixed with EVO 5-9 diffs.

happymatch

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
jono
Drive
Maza Astina 323, Merc C Kompressor
ok then, great discussions here.
well, i need your suggestions guys.
i am saving bit by bit by not smoking and packing my lunch to work. I want to start moding my car and so far, i installed dural stage boost controller and other things are fully stock. What should i do next? exhaust?

godzilla

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Trevor
Drive
1/19 2002 FL Legnum Type 'S' Manual in Black with Suede Recaro's!
Jono, i reckon a decent panel filter and cat back (at least) would be good mods to move onto seeing you have already installed a BC.

sanchez

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
rodrigo
Drive
legnum
Could someone on here suggest some upgrade path for the injectors for our cars? I wasn't going to but I believe that I may have jumped in the deep end... I guess I couldn't help myself....

sanchez

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
rodrigo
Drive
legnum
Thanks brad, I appreciate it. Goin' down that turbo path that I promised myself i wasn't going to. You should be pleased though, gt2554r! See how it all goes I guess. A bloke who I work with is pretty handy and he reckons it won't be "too" hard. This guy hand builds everything though.. Fingers crossed

SLY-031

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Joel
Drive
VR-4 Legnum
My condolences to your wallet, but good luck on your project. Make sure you post plenty of pictures and any learning curves, which I'm sure will be plentiful!

sanchez

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
rodrigo
Drive
legnum
Yeh yeh see what happens. Got an unbelievable deal on the tubs. Then I was trapped... Haha

G

Unregistered
Who makes an intercooler that can replace the factory one without any modifications. Wat size would fit, i seen a thread on here , but can't find it now. They got a pwr intercooler from repco for bout $430!!!!

G

Unregistered
Who makes an intercooler that can replace the factory one without any modifications. Wat size would fit, i seen a thread on here , but can't find it now. They got a pwr intercooler from repco for bout $430!!!!

From what I understand you need to look for a 600x300x76 if you go up to a core of 100 you will have to chop your front bar as it sit out to far.

Kizzmond

Idling at the Lights
First Name
kieran
Drive
1998 vr4 legnum
real real real newbie question ... how many BOV will my 98 leggie have that i need to replace/upgrade ... 1 or 2 .....

or if I change to a pod filter will that give me the Tish that I am looking for .... ??

Macca

Showing some Leg.
First Name
Craig 'Macca' Mclean
Drive
2000 Mitsubishi Legnum Type S
One and no. Have a bit of a search mate, all the info is on the forum. Its not really that great of an idea to run a pod filter.

AKKO

2 AYC Bars
Lifetime Member
First Name
Chris
Drive
1998 Galant VR4 Type-V (Facelift)
^^^ Golden sig

VTA BOV and POD induction nosie are two different things but some people get equally horny over either.
Personally I'll take my well running more economic plumb back BOV & panel filter combo any day!

/Edit: screamer pipes and anti-lag / launch control queries can't be far away either...

Poita

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Peter
Drive
Legnum
Ok looking for some advice here as I am getting very confused...

I have:
3 port solenoid
Fuel rail
600x300x76 intercooler

Now before steve comes to Adelaide to tune our cars, I want to do something which will ensure that I make the most of the tune.

So either:
Intercooler hard pipes
OR
Dumps, front pipes and cat
OR
Cat back exhaust

My confusion is... all of the above will make the car feel more responsive, improve the torque etc BUT will they necessarily be of benefit when tuning. If not, they can be added later. I can only afford one of the above right now so trying to find which one would benefit with a tune the most.

My thoughts, correct me if I am wrong:

Intercooler Hard Pipes
Will improve response, spool times etc but I would get them same effect with or without a tune, I can't really see how any settings in the ECU would be affected.

Dumps, front pipes and cat
Improved power, torque and less turbo lag. BUT given that our turbos are so small, how much effect is bigger dumps and front pipes really going to make when tuning?
Would the cat back exhaust be of more benefit when tuning as the cat and rear muffler restrictions are removed?
I imagine this would allow for some benefit when tuning due to boost coming on sooner and gasses escaping quicker.

Cat back exhaust
Improved power and torque (and sounds cool).
But would the dumps, front pipes and cat remove more of a restriction?

Keep in mind this is all in reference to the effect on the while tuning the ECU, and I am not sure how any of these will effect the tuning. They will all be great in the end, but whether they will still have the same effect if they are in the car before or after the tune is where I am stuck.

Cheers
Pete

Edit: Does anyone know if Windsor Exhaust will make and ship any of the 3 piping mods above interstate?

Hotwire

1 AYC Bar
Premium Member
First Name
Lee
Drive
97 COTY
My pick would be cat back exhaust.
You have the good FMIC for keeping detonation down, and stock baffled muffler is the worst for flow, so change that out with a new cat at the same time. 3" will giver better overall flow, as the stock front pipes aren't THAT bad, and with their smaller diameter will help keep low end response.

Top Bottom