Staged Upgrades

Hotwire

1 AYC Bar
Premium Member
First Name
Lee
Drive
97 COTY
Oh, and for ghetto hard pipes, get a number of 300mm cable ties, and wrap them around your soft pipes. Sure it looks ghetto, but will work ;)

Poita

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Peter
Drive
Legnum
I will be ringing him this arvo but thought I would try to get a few people's experiences/opinions :)

Poita

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Peter
Drive
Legnum
Contacted Steve and will be going with the dumps, front pipes and cat (the most expensive option damn it!)

Intercooler hard pipes don't really effect the tuning and can be added later. So will just use the cable tie suggestion for now!

Cat back exhaust would be nice but won't effect the tuning as much as the front end.

Doing dumps, front pipes and cat will allow the turbos to spool up a lot sooner, faster and removes the major restriction in with the cat. He tuned one car where he was getting 11psi by 2000rpm because the front end restrictions had been removed. This will have the most positive effect with tuning.

Now gotta save hard!

Slinz

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Tom
Drive
Grubby Nissan
Me likey!

Take some pics of the cable-tied rubber pipes! I woulda said front pipes/cat, but now I just look like a copycat lol. Just replace the muffler with a bit of 3'' pipe, finished :D

Interloper

Leaving Skid Marks
Premium Member
First Name
Andrew
Drive
2000 Legnum S Man, NX Paj, CBR1000RRSP2, CRF450
you will notice a big difference Pete

TME_Steve

3 AYC Bars
Lifetime Member
First Name
Steve
Drive
2010 nt did pajero tow car / 2000 6spd gc8 wrx tarmac rally car / 2000 Manual Subaru Outback 2.5 just a car
ill copy tom then, unbolt the rear muffler during the tune....

Poita

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Peter
Drive
Legnum
Not a bad idea!

Then can replace that at a later date and get the most out of it.

Can't wait to see the final result :)

steveP

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Steve
Drive
VR4 Galant
Sorry to dig up an old thread, but trying to figure out my exhaust. Just getting a cat back system as my car is my daily and don't want anything too loud and I'm not really fussed about the extra gains from a full exhaust.

I was thinking of just going 2.5" cat back with a resonator to cut out a bit of noise. But looking at the stock exhaust, it looks like it's already pretty close to 2.5". So is there any point even upgrading unless you go 3"?

Also guys with a 3" cat back and resonator, is the car overly loud?

unclepaulie

hellatemplate ;)
Lifetime Member
First Name
Paul
Drive
hairdresser spec lancer coupe
steve, catback is really 'just' for sound. you wont get too big of an improvement by replacing the entire thing. if you want a bit more of a decent note, i'd just replace the stock rear muffler for something a bit more highflow. matt/nitephyre has a smaller oval muffler on his legnum with stock everything else at its got a great note and isnt drony. kw per dollar and considering the noise levels, i reckon try a new rear muffler with stock piping.

i think 3" will be an overkill for your needs.

Dice

1 AYC Bar
Lifetime Member
First Name
DiceR
Drive
Galant VR-4 2xT25bb
Nissan Cube
It will depend on your muffler. I have a 3", 2 resonators and a hollow muffler and it is obviously loud. I've slapped on an Apexi ATS spring loaded silencer and it's quiet so with the right muffler it wouldn't be loud.

edit: beaten with greater detail!

steveP

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Steve
Drive
VR4 Galant
Sorry I forgot to mention I've already replaced the rear muffler with an Apexi cannon. So it's essentially a diff-back system. It's not too loud outside the car and sounds pretty good. But there is a bit of droning inside the car on idle when sitting on 60, etc. I need to get a longer resonator to fix that, so I was thinking I may as well replaced the rest the pipe between the cat and rear muffler.

I know replacing it with 2.5" piping and a resonator will fix the droning issue, but if I'm getting the piping replaced, should I be going 3"? Or will going 3" increase the noise so I'm back to square 1?

NuffNuff

1 AYC Bar
Lifetime Member
First Name
Damian
Drive
GTI, GTI, FL Manual Legnum VR4
the droning will be due to the resonance generated between the centre and rear resonator in my experience with Gen3 motors in commodores as they can be very droney, you can get 'tuner' pipes to go between the two which is basically can be a 3" pipe with a 2.5" internal perforated straight pipe. kinda like a hotdog.. only... not

VOLK

Stabbin' technique!
First Name
Joey T
Drive
13 RA Lancer Hackzilla
3" mandrel cat back felt like it made more power than stock to me...I'd happily answer any questions regarding volume and drone if I could hear them.

VOLK

Stabbin' technique!
First Name
Joey T
Drive
13 RA Lancer Hackzilla
Ya, single res and oval muffler. It's loud under big load at higher rpm (3500rpm up) and drones at certain load/rpm. Handily the drone disappears at 110km/hr...
I've tried getting vids but you really need a decent mic to capture the tone/volume and my phone doesn't cut it.

chardo

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
richard
Drive
2000 type S, Manual and Recaro's
I have a 3" with two resonators and a Fujitsubu cannon rear muffler and mine is pretty quiet (even passed the noise test the other day), it does not drone either, rear muffler plays a majority role in the overall noise, and resonators in the drone.

ygoslo

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Tim
Drive
91 Silvia, 97 Galant
I have a 3" with two resonators and a Fujitsubu cannon rear muffler and mine is pretty quiet (even passed the noise test the other day), it does not drone either, rear muffler plays a majority role in the overall noise, and resonators in the drone.

This sounds like my setup. I have a Fujitsubo SS 3" cat back with 2 resonators and it is extremely quiet. Disagree with the rear muffler being the major shutter upper though, I unbolted mine and ran the car with no exhaust after the diff and it was hardly any louder...

chardo

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
richard
Drive
2000 type S, Manual and Recaro's
This sounds like my setup. I have a Fujitsubo SS 3" cat back with 2 resonators and it is extremely quiet. Disagree with the rear muffler being the major shutter upper though, I unbolted mine and ran the car with no exhaust after the diff and it was hardly any louder...

Ohh, I suppose it depends on the muffler design, straight through will have less impact.

I used to own an RS2000, with only one resonator and a rear muffler, it was insanely loud, I changed the rear muffler to another design and it was quite reasonable.

Poita

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Peter
Drive
Legnum
2.5" front pipes, hiflo car, 3" main system with a resonator and oval rear muffler. Sounds awesome but is too loud and drones really bad between 50-100kph when under load. Going to be getting a second middle muffler installed to hopefully fix the drone...

Top Bottom