Staged Upgrades

steveP

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Steve
Drive
VR4 Galant
I think you might be able to fix that droning by installing a longer resonator. My friend had the same set up as you on his skyline and is was pretty annoyingly loud in the car. Got a 18" long resonator and it fixed it.

it's.simon

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Simon
Drive
VR-4 Galant Type S
Could also depend on the quality of resonator and muffler. Cannons are obviously going to be louder also.
I wish I was at the cruise so you would have been able to hear my exhaust. Done at Exhaust Technology. It is 3 inch cat back all stainless steel piping with a single resonator (unsure brand) and an JunBL oval muffler. Minimal drone and has an awesome note and great idle, overall it is towards the quiet side of things but it's probably better that way. I know AM Performance has quality craftsmanship but Jonson said my exhaust has been one of the nicer and less droney exhausts he has heard come through. So yeah could give the guys at ET a thought?

steveP

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Steve
Drive
VR4 Galant
How much did they charge you? I know the place I've been to many times before will charge between $300-400.

Probably going to get the exhaust sorted out over the weekend. I'm thinking of just playing it safe and getting a 2.5" cat back with a big ass resontator. It will be interesting to see the power gains from just that mod. Plus the Apexi cannon is a little loud so don't want to risk making it louder with a 3".

Poita

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Peter
Drive
Legnum
Yeah I got mine from AM. Love the quality and welds etc.

BUT some of the clearances are way too tight so the pipework hits stuff underneath when going over bumps/reversing. Going to get him to sort that out. And it's just way too droney and loud.

steveP

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Steve
Drive
VR4 Galant
Like I think I've said before, a longer resonator should fix the droning. I think the problem I have are the 2 stock resonators no longer being tuned for the exhaust with the rear muffler gone.

steveP

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Steve
Drive
VR4 Galant
Just got the exhaust done. 2.5" cat back with a long resonator, looks to be 18". The exhaust certaintly isn't factory spec quiet, but it's very reasonable for daily driving. Changing the two stock resonators to a single long resonator has smoothed out the exhaust. It doesn't have that sharp increase of droning when accelerating. I was asking about going 3", but I would have had ground clearance issues lol.

unclepaulie

hellatemplate ;)
Lifetime Member
First Name
Paul
Drive
hairdresser spec lancer coupe
shouldve gone for oval pipe under the diff lol

is it reasonably louder? or just a little bit louder?

steveP

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Steve
Drive
VR4 Galant
They didn't have anything like that, not even 2.75" pipe. I don't think it's louder at all (remember I already had the cannon fitted). We measured the stock piping and in certain sections is was already 2.5" and in others, 2.25". But now the exhaust is tucked up nice and high.

Will be interesting to see the power increase from the 'mild' upgrade. I know a fmic on a stock car will give you 6kws at the wheels. Now to see what a 2.5" cat back will do.

Top Bottom