Cam upgrades

sideburns

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Dave
Drive
Legnum s2 Vr4
Honda dc2 integra
Hey just wondering who has put in upgraded cams and what profile are you running? I'm just doing a build and wondering what my options are wouldn't mind a quite aggressive/ lumpy cam but not to keen on the price of custom ones

Just keen to see what everyone has done or seen

AKKO

2 AYC Bars
Lifetime Member
First Name
Chris
Drive
1998 Galant VR4 Type-V (Facelift)
I'm running a set of Adam's regrinds with shims, there's an EOI/GB thread on here with more detail... Custom will be quieter from a lifter perspective but billet is costly as you say.

AKKO

2 AYC Bars
Lifetime Member
First Name
Chris
Drive
Trent / Lathiat over here in the West also has these but I've not heard any progress from him in a while.

sideburns

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Dave
Drive
Legnum s2 Vr4
Honda dc2 integra
How are they much power difference?and ate they lumpy at all? Abs how much did they cost to be done?

G

Unregistered
Install will cost you around 700-800 cams would be around the same price

sideburns

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Dave
Drive
Legnum s2 Vr4
Honda dc2 integra
Ile install myself I'm just building the motor now... so 800 for regrinds?

sideburns

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Dave
Drive
Legnum s2 Vr4
Honda dc2 integra
Where is this done?and what's the gains? I'm not going to do it unless I get the lumpy cam noise haha

G

Unregistered
6A13TT TYPE S over in nz organised it.

Are you wanting to do it for the performance gain or for the lumpy idel

sideburns

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Dave
Drive
Legnum s2 Vr4
Honda dc2 integra
Both I'm currently building a 6a13tt with higher comp and to run e85 so any gains is great and if I'm putting in cams I love the lumpy idle

mookers

puri puri
First Name
Derek
Drive
CL9 Accord Euro Lux, GE Jazz VTi, Evil Supervillain Chair, Homemade Portable Square Drumkit
Slightly off topic but I call lumpy cammed V8s "kentucky fried chicken" cars.

When you pull up next to one at the lights, listen to it and then say out loud "kentucky fried chicken kentucky fried chicken kentucky fried chicken kentucky fried chicken"...

jungle

3 AYC Bars
Lifetime Member
First Name
Simon
Drive
1 PFL & 1 FL Legnum
Where is this done?and what's the gains? I'm not going to do it unless I get the lumpy cam noise haha
Dave, short answer is so far only one guy (6a13tt type s- Adam) has had his car dyno'd and there was no before dyno. So no real conclusive proof. That said he has mentioned the seat-o-the-pants-meter thinks it's better.

I just had a set reground by Kelford in NZ. BUT I HAVENT INSTALLED them yet. My build starts in a few weeks time. Mine is similar to standard duration but more lift. Standard is 8.9mm mine is 10.2. To get the best out of them I'd suggest cam gears.

sideburns

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Dave
Drive
Legnum s2 Vr4
Honda dc2 integra
Haha mookers Ile have to do that next time

so how long until you get it running and tuned jungle?I'm keen to see how yours goes before diving into it if it's about of a fail lol
don't worry Ile be DIYing it all I'm building the motor myself so it's all good :)

So what else does adam have done to his car and what's his power figures to get abit of an idea of what I'm looking at

AKKO

2 AYC Bars
Lifetime Member
First Name
Chris
Drive
Im very intrested to see what Steve can tune out of a VR4 fitted with my 262/9.8 cam regrind. You get some impressive results with basic bolt on mods. and no-one here in NZ who has fitted the cams has had a "professional" tune just all done road tunes with a LC-1, ecuflash and evoscan.
My car made 214.5KW ATW on a rolling road with, to be honest a pretty average tune on it @ ~13psi on stock solenoid. only mods are 2.5" catback exhaust, 600x300x76 FMIC, In tank 255LPH walboro, 262/9.8 cams and brian crower valvesprings.

sideburns

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Dave
Drive
Legnum s2 Vr4
Honda dc2 integra
Thanks AKKO does anyone know anywhere closer that does can regrinds? $800 is abit steep

jungle

3 AYC Bars
Lifetime Member
First Name
Simon
Drive
1 PFL & 1 FL Legnum
You could try local (Aussie) places?
Mine was quite a bit cheaper than $800, you'd need to contact Kelford as I might have got mates rates as my mechanic knows the guy in NZ that did it.
It's not just the cams though, you'd really need cam gears to get the most out of them. That is another expense and dailling them in properly can take some time and hence dyno $$:ROFLMAO:

Mine- good question, need to determine what's wrong first then order parts then fix. So number of weeks away yet. I'll also be fitting some hi-flow turbos Kinagawa has made for me which should then be made available to ya'll.
look in the hi flowed turbo thread for more info

sideburns

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Dave
Drive
Legnum s2 Vr4
Honda dc2 integra
Yeah how did you go about getting cam gears? Did you have to get them made or did you get it off the shelf? I'm going to have a look around who can do it locally.
There should be a few places around Sydney that do it

Ahh nice I'm keen to see that all running hopefully you don't have any drama's with the turbos

jungle

3 AYC Bars
Lifetime Member
First Name
Simon
Drive
1 PFL & 1 FL Legnum
I'm having cam gears made, however another option is here.
http://www.lelong.com.my/works-t7-c...a13-4-pcs-maxaudio-K898041-2007-01-Sale-I.htm

Be aware, one of the guys in NZ or UK fitted these and the timing marks were out by 1 tooth- again, there's info on Club VR-4 site on this. Again, for people concerned, The gears are fine, just the timing mark was out. Easy fix though.

Yes there are many waiting for me to fit the hi-flows, its been frustratingly slow to get them fitted but now I have real imputes.

AKKO

2 AYC Bars
Lifetime Member
First Name
Chris
Drive
For cam gears there are RPW or Works Engineering options or custom billet if you have $$$

Top Bottom