to tune or not to tune

G

Unregistered
hey guys, im getting my intercooler and bov installed, just wondering do i need to get it dyno tuned as well, or will it correct itself?

cheers gareth

frozen

1 AYC Bar
Lifetime Member
First Name
Josh
Drive
1990 Mitsubishi GTO
Formerly: 1996 Galant VR-4
do you have an aftermarket ECU? if not - no tuning is possible. But unless you do an exaust and increasing boost, no serious tuning is needed anyway..

get an SAFCII if you want a cheaper way to keep your car from running rich/lean when doing these mods, but quite a few people have done all of this and still just use the standard ecu without even a piggy back.

oh and yes- the ecu will correct itself to some point by resetting it (disconnect battery for ~5-10mins then reconnect it)

G

Unregistered
i have an exhaust and the boost is upped, but still running the stock ecu. i was looking at gettin a haltech interceptor

SiliconAngel

1 AYC Bar
First Name
SA, Trevor
Drive
'99 Legnum VR4 Black MT
No difference between the interceptor and the miniceptor except the former has a metal casing and better insulated leads for engine-bay mounting, which isn't necessary for our cars anyway. So get the cheaper one.

Your ECU will also re-learn over time too - no need to reset it unless it's doing something a bit dicky.

G

Unregistered
also is there a way to 'unhook' the 4wd system like in GT-R's WRX's etc to make it 2wd to dyno on a 2wd dyno?

cheers

naughtika

OzVR4 Stalker
First Name
Christian
Drive
'96 Galant VR4, '17 MB A180, '25 Macan GTS
just to add with BradBrad's answer..

and why would you? I suppose you wanna go RWD? IMO you'll regret spending the $$$ on the AWD to RWD/FWD conversion.. might as well spend that $$$ on something that will give your car a bit more bling and power... :)

G

Unregistered
just to add with BradBrad's answer..

and why would you? I suppose you wanna go RWD? IMO you'll regret spending the $$$ on the AWD to RWD/FWD conversion.. might as well spend that $$$ on something that will give your car a bit more bling and power... :)

mate i think u may have misinterperated my question. i was asking about a DYNO tune, not a conversion. dont see why anyone would go from 4wd to 2wd, i wouldnt have bought a legnum, i would have just whacked 2 turbos to my ute for the same price.
if u unhook the 4wd system you can still tune the car for workshops that only have a 2wd dyno machine, that was the reason fro my question.

Top Bottom