towing with legnum

G

Unregistered
as the title says guys i wanna tow a car with the legnum, do you all think it will be up to the task..
the car i want to tow will be the track car, series 2 rx7 so its light as.
i know Brian (kiwibstrokes) has put a tow bar on his legnum but i would like to know if anyone has tryed to tow a car or has any info bout the legnum and towing..

snickells

Leaving Skid Marks
Lifetime Member
First Name
Anon
Drive
Car
I'm sure I've seen a picture of a Legnum towing a massive boat, so I'm sure you'll be fine.

I wonder if the tow-bar's come with recommended weight limits?

G

Unregistered
Yeah, there are pics on Club VR-4 to prove it. Although the tow car is an ST-R here.

http://www.clubvr4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=38548

And, about that boat:

ask 'William' an NZ member on Club VR-4, he has a huge boat (2.5 tons) that he towed with an Auto Prefacelift Legnum. He found that the box would overheat, so he got a transmission cooler installed. Now he has a Manual Facelift Legnum and definately prefers that for towing the boat.

VR4Rocket

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Kevin
Drive
Was a Ralliart Colt, was a 1997 Toyota Aristo was a 1996 Legnum..Now an XR5 Turbo
Just make sure you have a gas station every 10km.....lol

VR-04-TT

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Paul
Drive
1999 Legnum Type S
There is a legal limit to the weight your car can tow. I can't remember it specifically but it came to roughly around 3/4 the weight of the tow car.

mookers

puri puri
First Name
Derek
Drive
CL9 Accord Euro Lux, GE Jazz VTi, Evil Supervillain Chair, Homemade Portable Square Drumkit
If there is a 75% weight limit I suppose you'd have a hard time getting away with towing another Legnum... lol

"It's stripped out, officer. Really!"

bradc

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Brad
Drive
Facelift Manual 400hp VR-4 Legnum
The ST-R really didn't have enough power to do it to be honest. The Turquoise VR-4 is about to be turned into a tow car for a 22ft boat with a 350ci v8 in it, so that could be a bit of fun.

MasqUAP

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Dave
Drive
'98 VFR 800 / '92 Ford Laser Turbo / '10 Kia Cerato S
Does it significantly alter the design of the towbar, or do they all look pretty much the same when bolted on? This is for instance as compared to the $750 towbar people keep talking about in another thread?

-Dave-

bradc

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Brad
Drive
Facelift Manual 400hp VR-4 Legnum
Hell no :p The VR-4 might get a boost controller though to give it some more mid range torque, depends on how well it goes towing the boat.

G

Unregistered
thanks for all the in put guys. the rx7 weighs just a touch over 1000kg stock, plus the trailer i think it will be fine..
my legnum is manual so i dont think ill have any drama's...

hey brad can i borrow the BMW V8 for my rx7, would hammer.lol

Tom

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Tom
Drive
New: 2006 BMW 335i M-Sport | Old: 2000 Galant VR4, MY04 STI WRX, 2009 Audi A4 2.7tdi
That'll be the third RX7 I know of getting a non-rotary whacked in to it :p

kiwibstokes

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Bryan
Drive
2000 Legnum Type-S
Hey joe, if the trailer is braked you should have no problem, it didn't towing a 1000kg + tradie trailer around for a few months and it also coped towing my mates ski boat which is about 1500kg too both were braked trailers, just got to go easy on the clutch coz the amount of power in the engine and the weight being pulled thats the weak spot. My towbar was rated at 1000kg because of that reason didn't matter tho, in a auto surely would be more

Top Bottom