towing with legnum

Jeff Denmeade

Idling at the Lights
First Name
JEFF DENMEADE
Drive
EVO 8
Hate to resurrect an old thread, but Ive been chasing a towbar for our Legnum, not having a good time with it, to be honest.

After reading on here about Halls Towbars, I called them and asked who would stock their towbars in Sydney (they are in SA), and the guy's answer was so incredibly rude it blew me away, his response was "how the hell would I know?"

I asked if they made towbars (now a bit sarcastically), and if so how do I go about getting one off someone in Sydney for my Jap-market Mitsubishi, his response was even ruder with a "wouldnt have a bloody clue!".

So I then corrected him and told him I believe his answer would be, "dont know, let me go and ask someone", or "we can send the towbar directly to you and you can have someone install it".

Anyways, hung up, shook my head at the terrible customer service we get here in OZ, and left it alone for a while.

Finally got going again on the idea and headed out to Carasel Towbars in Moorebank in Sydney, and took the car to show them, they were nice and polite, came outside and looked at the car and crawled around underneath it and came back with a "no can do", metal is too thin at the chassis rails where they need to bolt it on.

Admittedly this is one groups opinion which could be governed by the amount of work they have on and how much they can be bothered with, so Im still on the hunt for a tow bar to tow our evo 8 rally car.

Who can help and do it in Sydney? Anyone know?

Jeff D.

Paul

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Paul Reid
Drive
Legnum vr4
Fastfit at auburn have done mine twice ( cause I had an accident) they have done a few legnums

Jeff Denmeade

Idling at the Lights
First Name
JEFF DENMEADE
Drive
EVO 8
Contacted Fastfit in Leichardt, called them up and booked it in, they fitted the towbar without any grief or BS, it had to be custom made and I asked for Heavy Duty and by crikeys it is. Really enjoyed giving them my business.

Ready to tow evo rally car occasionally now.

Definitely recommend them.

Jeff

Phantomxr8

Idling at the Lights
First Name
Ben
Drive
Hilux
How much are people paying for non heavy duty towbars and has anyone got any piccys???

minik1971

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Nigel
Drive
White 1990 BMW 535i was a Black 1998 Legnum FL (written off)
I am in Tassie and I got one fitted for $550, custom made with detachable tongue. Rated at 900kg. Probably can be done cheaper for people in other states, we normally pay a little more in Tassie for non standard items.

brend0n

Idling at the Lights
First Name
Brendon
Drive
82 Scorpion, 82 Sigma, 84 Range Rover
There is a legal limit to the weight your car can tow. I can't remember it specifically but it came to roughly around 3/4 the weight of the tow car.

that might be a newer rule (or apply to cars without an offical towing cap) cause there is no way a patrol, land cruiser, discovery and range rover (espically the older ones) all of which can tow 3500KG legally weight over 4.5 tonnes

minik1971

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Nigel
Drive
White 1990 BMW 535i was a Black 1998 Legnum FL (written off)
They wouldn't be able to legally tow 3500kg unless they weigh less than 1000kg as there is a combined weight limit of 4.5tonnes otherwise you would need a LR or MR licence.

brend0n

Idling at the Lights
First Name
Brendon
Drive
82 Scorpion, 82 Sigma, 84 Range Rover
true good pick up, though that's license related not tow car cap. related.

did a but more investigation and I've heard 1.5 times the tow cars weight, but nothing concrete yet.
most cars can pull trailer its just a case of whether its 1. safe, 2. legal 3. Drivers attitude/ skill

back in my youth I've towed a cortina on a heavy hire trailer behind a laser hatch, did it barely.... car overheated close to destination and its was an interesting trip.
my sigma tows my scorpion fine (in terms of handling and power) but wouldn't want to stop in a hurry (which is why i bough a 4x4). and I know a guy who towed a patrol behind a discovery and flipped the trailer within 5km of starting his journey. so its really a case by case and its more then the power of the tow vehicle that comes into play.

Top Bottom