toyota chaser jzx100

G

Unregistered
Hey guys

I know our cars are pretty freakin good in terms of power to handling to style etc... and yes i love my vr4... But if i could have another car i do like the look of a chaser... sweet tint, dumped, 18' rims... nice looking car...
opening discussion about anything and everything about it? I dont know too much about em and would like to hear any stories

Peace

ygoslo

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Tim
Drive
91 Silvia, 97 Galant
Bomb proof. The only 1JZ car I've been in has a very coarse, gruff sounding engine, but if that turns you off you should just go buy a Barina and be done with it.

In terms of modification and power potential, there's no comparison between a 1JZ and a 6A13.

Excellent cars.

G

Unregistered
Oh really you rate them?? nah i dont mind a bit of grunt...and haha barina... beep beep...
did you know someone who owned one?? did they incur any issues??

G

Unregistered
If you like the VR4, you'll love a JZX100 Chaser. Without trying to upset the locals ;), in my opinion the Chaser is superior in every way. The only advantage the VR4 has over the Chaser is 4WD (which may not actually be an advantage) and its bigger cargo carrying capabilities (Legnum). I'm sure someone will point out more :bigsmile:.

As mentioned, the Chaser has heaps more potential for modifying with better results. Like the VR4, it still has the sleeper effect (unless you're rolling 20 inch chromies with a candy apple respray) and is ultra reliable.

*puts armour suit on* :D

G

Unregistered
Yeah i thought about that... the legnum owned the nissan crew that i cruised with the other night... and i loved it...haha and dont be afraid to tell me about it Daz haha the boys n gurls on here are super friendly and I did ask for opinions on the chaser anyway :)

So its easy to find the parts for etc?? how long have you had yours and if you dont mind me pushing the envelope have you modded much??

cheers for the reply

G

Unregistered
958_0.jpg

I love it hahah gangsta looking car that doesnt attract attention... haha

Rasi

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Mike
Drive
2001 Nissan Elgrand - Previously the "best" factory optioned 2000 Legnum (manual, suade recaros)hehe
I was looking to purchase one as an upgrade from the R33 gtst, but the wife wanted to be sure it had a larger boot. Anyway, long storey short is that the legnum suited our growing family better. Also the cost of a JZX100 is a lot higher than a Legnum, that said... I think my next car will be a Chaser.

godzilla

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Trevor
Drive
1/19 2002 FL Legnum Type 'S' Manual in Black with Suede Recaro's!
I love the 1&2JZ's, they are simply brilliant engines. Revability, reliability, torqueability, powerability and even parts availability:eek:
Never been in a Chaser but love them. Been lucky enough to have been in a few hundred horse Supra , and have drivin a few auto Soarer's.
I still think the VR4 (imo) is a better package car....But a fully loaded JZX100 would be a great car to own.

G

Unregistered
Brett - parts aren't too bad (all filters/consumables etc can be cross referenced, so you don't have to go genuine). To be honest I've never had to replace anything apart from the consumables. Aftermarket parts are certainly more accessible than the Legnum, but you're still not going to find a set of coilovers at the local wreckers. I've had the Chaser for around 18 months and I've only got a zorst with HKS coillies at the moment (planning an intercooler & ECU upgrade one day....). It has a set of 18's on it too

Series 2 (August 98+) is the way to go if you're looking (imo)

Mike - If I vaguely remember the boot space of an R33, you're struggling to fit in a pair of shoes (forget it if you're size 13). The Chaser boot is bigger (but not Commodore bigger). The Chaser also can comfortably seat 4 with leg room, as apposed to a 4 door Skyline. I'd compare the leg room of a Chaser very similar to that of a Legnum.

Tom

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Tom
Drive
New: 2006 BMW 335i M-Sport | Old: 2000 Galant VR4, MY04 STI WRX, 2009 Audi A4 2.7tdi
I like the interior of the VR4's better :p

But I've always loved the JZX100's.. One of my mates used to own one, he loved it but the fuel costs are what got him.. So he got a ripper AE86 Sprinter lol.

I got the J-Spec email a while ago that had one that I really liked, so I looked it up :)

http://www.j-spec.com.au/list/index.php?ID=14236
1.jpg

2.jpg

and omg after a quick Google Image search:
Fullside2.jpg

36.jpg

img214.jpg

G

Unregistered
Holy s**t yeah! the one im looking at comes with VS KF's... and a sweet kit...i looked at that badged one on j spec just before :)

Im glad they are gettin good reviews because for my everyday running around now the wagon isnt a neccesity. And thank you guys for pitching in...

darren... the year im looking at is 2000... although, by the sounds of it... anythign from around 97-00 would still be a super reliable purchase... thanks for the info

G

Unregistered
Series 1 - 96 to August 98
Series 2 - Aug 98+

The only difference between them are front bumper (fog lights), tail lights, interior trim and a few other cosmetic changes. If you're looking at a stocker, make sure it's got the factory kit on it. The difference is chalk and cheese. Head on over to jzx100.com for a bit more info (aussie site if you don't already know).

Series 2 will hold their value more. Manuals are quite a bit dearer than the autos but DO NOT be put off by the auto. The auto box is fantastic. Either way, take one for a drive - you won't be disappointed.

The last pic that Tom put up is actually a Mark II, not a Chaser.

G

Unregistered
Cheers darren ill defs jump on a bit later... And thanks again for your help... Ill probably bug you about it again soon. ha cheers

pu-11-me

and put an LSD in it
First Name
Dawso
Drive
VW Touareg
Awesome cars, but the interiors leave A LOT to be desired. I would rather stare at the inside of a scrotum than a chaser interior

They do good skids too :D

smitty

Sm'arter than the aver'age bear...!
First Name
Alex
Drive
98 FL Galant Type S Manual, FG XR6, VY Acclaim, MQ Triton GLS
Took one for a spin two years ago, was a TRD model if i remember. Handled quite well yet was surprisingly smooth. and yes it was kinda quick too... if i weren't dead set on VR4 i'd be after a chaser for sure!

mookers

puri puri
First Name
Derek
Drive
CL9 Accord Euro Lux, GE Jazz VTi, Evil Supervillain Chair, Homemade Portable Square Drumkit
The JZX90 cars were the first ones that got me "into" Japanese performance, when they were current models, back when I lived in Tokyo in 1992-93.

For some reason the JZX90 shapes appeal to me a bit more than the 100s (well, apart from the Mark II, which in stock 90 form has a stupidly high rear bumper). Does anybody know what features/performance difference there is?

If I win the lottery, I'll get a JZX90 Cresta, put a sweet kit and wheels on it, and turn it into a track car :)

happymatch

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
jono
Drive
Maza Astina 323, Merc C Kompressor
love the car, really good examples are around and i thought about it b4 i got the leggie. well, sometimes i got confused looking at them from the back with galants.

G

Unregistered
Does anybody know what features/performance difference there is?

Engine wise, the JZX90 has the twin turbo non VVT-I 1JZ-GTE (same as Soarer). Both engines rated at 206kw.

The JZX90 Mark II (series 1) in standard form looks far too similar to a locally delivered Camry.

G

Unregistered
Say im after a 2000 model 100... I know their price range is a little more than a legnums, but i did see one that i liked but they were selling for $25k and it didnt mention anything special i.e mods... it seemed stock... now to me... for an auto... i dont think id be paying much more than 20 tops????

G

Unregistered
I certainly wouldn't pay anywhere near 20 for an auto at all (even if it is a 2000 model). At my time of purchase, I was staggered at how much people were trying to sell these cars for in Australia - I still are. It always refers back to the old 'supply v's demand' situation. If you are willing to be patient, the right car will come up at the right price.

Funnily enough, I've seen several Chasers advertised before for 12 grand or less (albeit 1996 stock autos with a few km's).

I was fortunate to get hold of mine when the Yen was at 103 so I cringe at the prices people are asking. Having said that, are you looking at cars that are already here, or checking out the auctions?

Top Bottom