Toyota FT-86

Peter_D

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Pete
Drive
Cab Colt & Evo 6
Changing plug on a BRZ/86

Something I just came across on GT86 Forum. Thanks to the original poster over there.

"
Thinking about changing your spark plugs? Think again!
This is what you need to do to change your spark plugs.

Spark Plug
A: REPLACEMENT
1) Disconnect the ground cable from battery.
2) Remove the air cleaner assembly w/hose.
(1) Disconnect the connector of the mass air flow and intake air temperature sensor, and remove the one
clip that holds the harness.
(2) Slide the hose clip and disconnect ventilation hose No. 1.
(3) Loosen the two hose clamps.
(4) Remove the three bolts to remove the air cleaner assembly w/hose.
3) Disconnect the hose assembly from the sound creator.
4) Remove the two bolts and remove the sound creator.
5) Disconnect the front oxygen (A/F) sensor connector (A) and rear oxygen sensor connector (B).
6) Remove the two bolts securing the harness of the front oxygen (A/F) sensor, and remove the two clips
from the stay.
7) Remove the two clips securing the rear oxygen (A/F) sensor harness.
8) Lift up the vehicle.
9) Remove the 12 bolts and seven clips to remove engine under cover No. 1.
10) Remove the seven bolts to remove engine under cover No. 2.
11) Remove the three clips to remove the front mat guard under RH.
12) Remove the two nuts and disconnect the joint pipe.
13) Remove the two nuts, two bolts and two compression springs to disconnect the exhaust center pipe assembly.
14) Remove the bolt to remove the exhaust pipe assembly FR.
15) Remove the two nuts and disconnect the joint pipe.
16) Remove the six nuts to remove the exhaust manifold sub-assembly.
17) Tie the joint pipe to the front crossmember using string.
18) Remove the nuts which secure the engine mounting to the front crossmember.
19) Lower the vehicle.
20) Remove clip (A) securing the engine harness to the engine hanger, clip (B) securing the battery cable
and clip (C) securing the generator cable to the intake manifold protector RH, and clip (D) securing the generator
cable to the fuse box.
21) Remove the bolt securing the harness stay from the intake manifold protector LH, and the two clips securing
the battery cable from the intake manifold.
22) Install the ST1 and ST2 to the engine assembly.
23) Remove the clip securing the bulkhead harness to the vehicle.
24) Set the ST1 and ST2 to vehicle in order to support the engine.
25) Turn the handle on the top of the ST clockwise, and slowly lift the engine from the crossmember engine
mount hole until it reaches the position where the engine mount stud bolts can be removed.
26) Lift up the vehicle.
27) Install the ST between the engine mount and crossmember.
ST 18632AA020 STAND ASSY
28) Lower the vehicle.
29) Rotate the handle on the top of the ST counterclockwise to slowly lower the engine.
30) Remove the ST (ENGINE HANGER) from the vehicle.
31) Remove the RH spark plugs.
(1) Move the lock lever in the direction of the arrow to release the three connector locks.
(2) Disconnect the four connectors from the fuel injector CM.
(3) Remove the three bolts and the fuel injector CM.
(4) Disconnect the ignition coil connector and remove the ignition coil.
(5) Remove the spark plug with a spark plug socket.
32) Remove the LH spark plugs.
(1) Remove the bracket securing the fuel hose.
(2) Remove the two bolts and collision protector LH.
(3) Disconnect the ignition coil connector and remove the ignition coil.
(4) Remove the spark plug with a spark plug socket.
"

And you thought changing plugs in a VR4 was a pain.

unclepaulie

hellatemplate ;)
Lifetime Member
First Name
Paul
Drive
hairdresser spec lancer coupe
and thats why they should've put a 3sge beams into it at the very least

TME_Steve

3 AYC Bars
Lifetime Member
First Name
Steve
Drive
2010 nt did pajero tow car / 2000 6spd gc8 wrx tarmac rally car / 2000 Manual Subaru Outback 2.5 just a car
Oh the engine it's got seems to be ok once it has something forcing air into it :)

king_panther

Gettin' tanked
First Name
Brad
Drive
2012 VW Caddy 1.6TDI 7-Speed DSG. Still crappy DSG.....
The operations manager from my old company is trying to get an 86 for his next work car. Castle Hill Toyota apparently told him he'll be waiting 12 months for one.

tails

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Taylor
Drive
'00 Galant
I'm not surprised. It's up to two years wait for the GTS manual. The Toyota website even says *Please note that the waiting period may exceed 18 months depending on the time of order and choice of transmission and colour.

ygoslo

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Tim
Drive
91 Silvia, 97 Galant
And yet the GT is available right now if you call around... I know what I'd be doing.

fieldy107

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Chris
Drive
Galant VR4
Whats the difference? slightly larger rims, leather and sat nav in the gts.
most people would get aftermarket rims anyway and who needs leather and sat nav.

TME_Steve

3 AYC Bars
Lifetime Member
First Name
Steve
Drive
2010 nt did pajero tow car / 2000 6spd gc8 wrx tarmac rally car / 2000 Manual Subaru Outback 2.5 just a car
Anyone see how well the 86 with a mild turbo kit did in hot tuner? Blew everything away on the track. Everything.

now that they've been around for a while I think a few manufacturers willl be looking closely at what they're doing, it's been a huge success and a lot of that is due to the ability to get into a well setup chassis for not much cash. It means more people can buy this new and not be worried about modifying it etc whereas a lot of potential new Evo/Sti owners are turned off them due to the high pricetag and the fact they're about to rip half the bits off it and start again. It's one of the very few cases where manufacturers need to give a crap about the aftermarket potential of the car.

Will be interesting to see if more cars like it are given the green light and if the next WRX/ralliart lancer become that bit cheaper.... Probably not, but we can live in hope. The downside of all that would be can a manufacturer justify the halo cars like the evo/sti anymore?

mchieff

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Dennis
Drive
Legnum
Yeah i read that - i also read the other one where the tuner talked to the designer who suggested forced induction on a std engine would go bang. Probably why tekno was stripping the engine immediately after hot tuner.
Hopefully does make some other manufacturers make some more desirable cars again, 370z now seems ridiculously overpriced

tails

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Taylor
Drive
'00 Galant
Nissan will be doing a new Fairlady in a year or two. Apparently they're reigning it in a little and making it more of a homage to the original Fairlady (240Z) (which was considered the affordable sports car of the day. So hopefully it'll share a similar price tag to the 86.

tails

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Taylor
Drive
'00 Galant
The skyline 370gt is basically the same as the 370z but you can pick them up from about $30k and even less for the four door models.

http://www.j-spec.com.au/featured/2007-Nissan-Skyline-16273.html

http://www.j-spec.com.au/featured/2007-Nissan-Skyline-16115.html

Carsales has a few too: see link

Manuals cost a little more:

http://www.j-spec.com.au/dealer/2008-Nissan-Skyline-7086096.html

That's second hand though, and those GTs are ugly as sin.

Not that I'd be able to afford it either way, but I'm hoping the next Fairlady is a cheaper sportscar to compete with the 86. More cheap RWD cars please!

TME_Steve

3 AYC Bars
Lifetime Member
First Name
Steve
Drive
Yeah i read that - i also read the other one where the tuner talked to the designer who suggested forced induction on a std engine would go bang. Probably why tekno was stripping the engine immediately after hot tuner.
Hopefully does make some other manufacturers make some more desirable cars again, 370z now seems ridiculously overpriced

Maybe, we'll see I guess, internal changes aren't the end of the world though :)

unclepaulie

hellatemplate ;)
Lifetime Member
First Name
Paul
Drive
hairdresser spec lancer coupe
if only the ft86 was available as a complete roller. with no gearbox or engine

fieldy107

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Chris
Drive
Galant VR4
The skyline 370gt is basically the same as the 370z but you can pick them up from about $30k
not really the same, skyline is a big heavier luxury car with soft suspension etc and 370z is a sports car, tighter suspension, less weight etc.

Dice

1 AYC Bar
Lifetime Member
First Name
DiceR
Drive
Galant VR-4 2xT25bb
Nissan Cube
There's not a great deal of difference between the Skyline coupe and the 370z. Performance on paper is the same, sure the suspension and gearing is a bit different but it's only around 100KG heavier with the same 245kW. Still lighter than a Galant or Legnum VR-4.
/OT

Edit; I was a bit wrong, it's around 140KG heavier which may vary depending on transmission. It still has the massive 4 pot brakes and big discs too.

Top Bottom