Toyota FT-86

king_panther

Gettin' tanked
First Name
Brad
Drive
2012 VW Caddy 1.6TDI 7-Speed DSG. Still crappy DSG.....
The point is being non turbo / supercharged, it's attractive to P platers. I mean, it's not like we ever see P platers in Honda Type Rs, 350Z, S2000 or non-turbo Supras.

On the contrary, most of the P platers I see are still getting around in turbocharged, supercharged, or V8 vehicles. Either the laws aren't upheld, or they're full of holes that are easily exploited.

cyber_scriber

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Bruce
Drive
2000 Galant; metallic dark blue; manual; Recaros; Momo steering wheel; and sunroof!
But you're not going to want to slide it daily in traffic either.

For sensible drivers, yes, but we know there are a lot of less than sensible drivers on the road - cue some P plate drivers and other hooligans.

Sliding aside, it's also the thought of having to keep it on the boil at 5,000rpm+ if you want to plug a hole in the traffic, if you want to merge before your lane ends, if you need to run away from the bad guys etc.

cyber_scriber

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Bruce
Drive
2000 Galant; metallic dark blue; manual; Recaros; Momo steering wheel; and sunroof!
On the contrary, most of the P platers I see are still getting around in turbocharged, supercharged, or V8 vehicles. Either the laws aren't upheld, or they're full of holes that are easily exploited.

Is this why NA Skylines command such a premium in the market? Or is it because all the P platers are in LPG powered Megane RS250s?:rolleyes:

tails

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Taylor
Drive
'00 Galant
A friend who I worked with in Melbourne was still on his P's so couldn't get a turbo car. He bought a second hand RX-8 and that thing was bloody fast. Who needs a turbo?*

*we need two

mfbamba

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Misagh
Drive
1997 Legnum
For sensible drivers, yes, but we know there are a lot of less than sensible drivers on the road - cue some P plate drivers and other hooligans.

Sliding aside, it's also the thought of having to keep it on the boil at 5,000rpm+ if you want to plug a hole in the traffic, if you want to merge before your lane ends, if you need to run away from the bad guys etc.

There are 1000's of different cars that must worry about plugging a hole in traffic or merging before the end of the lanes before a FT86 has too. Dropping from 4th to 3rd is a way to get revs if need be and that's been going on for 80+ years. I think 86 owners will work out how to do that.

mookers

puri puri
First Name
Derek
Drive
CL9 Accord Euro Lux, GE Jazz VTi, Evil Supervillain Chair, Homemade Portable Square Drumkit
There are 1000's of different cars that must worry about plugging a hole in traffic or merging before the end of the lanes before a FT86 has too. Dropping from 4th to 3rd is a way to get revs if need be and that's been going on for 80+ years. I think 86 owners will work out how to do that.

Hell, I need 2nd gear in the Jazz lol

Or else I just don't bother trying to be a hero in traffic. Somehow I still get where I'm going, and in one piece too.

cyber_scriber

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Bruce
Drive
With the torque dip in the 86 (see dyno chart that was previously posted), I think it might more be a case of dropping from 6th to 2nd, by which time, the hole has closed!

Having said all that, I'm booking in a test drive to find out for myself once I get back from holidays. Hopefully, the rush has slowed down a bit and there won't be a long line to test drive.

I've seen a few on the road and must say that they look more expensive than their sticker price would suggest.

mfbamba

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Misagh
Drive
1997 Legnum
From the article.

Sims, who will park his BRZ alongside his Renault Megane RS250, says he wasn’t worried about buying the car sight unseen.

ECfiveA

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Mathew
Drive
97 Galant VR4
I took an 86 for a test drive on the weekend and was pleasantly surprised. It has given me a lot to think about as I am considering moving on to a new car.

wookie

Crunching Gears
Premium Member
First Name
Aaron
Drive
LTD and 1300 coupe
I finally got to drive our demo 86 at work last week and after all the hype from everyone who had driven it expectations were high. Looks great, real nice inside(was only GT model but i had to fit it with the satnav system thus my excuse to drive it) handles great but performance wise it felt flat to me. Sure it got up to speed quick enough but it just did'nt feel quick, very linear...

ygoslo

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Tim
Drive
91 Silvia, 97 Galant
Linear response was the main aim of Toyota in creating the powertrain. One of the key reasons why they chose not to use forced induction.

Peter_D

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Pete
Drive
Cab Colt & Evo 6
Well after having driven an auto one yesterday I can say that I was quite happy with the feel and balance of the vehicle. The road holding and presence of the vehicle was excellent. The steering and handling was pin point accurate with plenty of feedback from the road. I wont comment to much on the speed and acceleration of the car as I was driving an auto and it has been a LONG time since I've driven a non turbo car and we kind of get spoilt with the all the extra available power plus I was driving the car in a suburban setting in a area I didn't know. The once or twice I did put my boot into it it did accelerate nicely, plenty of power I'd say for daily driving. There was only one occasion whilst pulling up a hill where I thought the auto should kick back but didn't and as the exhaust note is piped back into the cabin the change in engine labour was very noticeable. No I didn't use the paddle shift as I wan't to see how good the auto system was. I will try and get back for a drive of a manual when there is one available.
The most fun part of the drive was going through a series of quick and fast right left right curves. This is where the car really shone out. I would say that the GT-86 handled that section of the road better than any car I've ever driven including my 2010 Club Spec WRX. The firmness of the suspension on the 86 was somewhere between that of my EVO 6 (hard race/dirt track) and the WRX (tuned for fast road). I really liked it and would love to get my WRX set up the same.
The driving position was perfect for me all I had to do was reposition the seat a little. The Steering wheel can be adjusted for height and reach. The cabin in the GTS was nicely laid out and in my option was better looking than the BRZ we'd looked at 15 minutes earlier. Don't expect to get anyone in the back pew as there is just no leg room. Currently the FT-86 comes with a full size spare but future releases are going to be provide with a tyre repair kit. Not a good move in my book but understandable as there is little space in the boot and it would be struggle to get a couple of overnight bags in there.

Overall I liked the car but I'd like to drive a manual before committing to it. Don't expect a great deal from the sales staff as people are lining up to pay a premium for both the BRZ and the 86, waiting lists are out to 9 month and growing. As for a trade in forget it. I got offered $5k less for the WRX than it was worth. Plus the values are likely to change before your car turns up. So your change over could increase by several thousand dollars. Kudos to the sales guy for laying it straight and telling me to sell it privately before he gave me the trade value.

So there you go my first impressions.

M0R81U5

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Mick
Drive
PFL Legnum
Spotted about 330,000 of them at WTAC today. Almost every one of them had upgraded brakes....JBTs, TRDs, AP Racing......

Top Bottom