Toyota FT-86

cyber_scriber

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Bruce
Drive
2000 Galant; metallic dark blue; manual; Recaros; Momo steering wheel; and sunroof!
I think you need to take into context what was said.

Wow Mr Legnum - shitz just got real! Chillout mate.

This is what you stated. I'm quoting you in case you say you're being misrepresented:

I would dare say a different track result would have definitely occurred with a manual transmission.

If you meant that a manual 86 would have ran a different time, then that's self evident. The manual runs different ratios to the taller geared auto so obviously, they would not run identical times.

However, if by "a different track result" you mean the track result of 86 coming second being reversed, I think we can both agree that woudn't happen.

If you don't think it makes that much difference, have a look at the Evo VII GTA (Invecs II Auto) vs the Evo 7 GSR (5 Spd Manual) two otherwise identical cars are worlds apart on the track because of the transmission.

The Evo 7 GTA has a slightly different turbo

So which is it? Are they identical cars or not? Last time I checked, a different turbo means its not identical.

cyber_scriber

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Bruce
Drive
2000 Galant; metallic dark blue; manual; Recaros; Momo steering wheel; and sunroof!
It would be the ultimate irony if Tim drove an 86 and decided he didn't like it after all, and Bruce drove one and decided he loved it.

Oh, how much "fun" that would be... :p

Good call!

As I said, I'm going into my test drive with a clean slate.

I actually think Toyota deserve to succeed for bringing back affordable RWD and sportiness. You see the way Honda has culled their sports car range and the state of the current Toyota line up, so it's a good thing the 86 is in the market.

cyber_scriber

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Bruce
Drive
I love that sort of comparison. It's like the "OK Porsche, just let me spend $200k on mods to my new R35 and see if you're still so confident" comparison... It never ends well for the unmodified one!!

One of the few times I agree with you.

Mr Legnum, you're a bit late to the party on that one.

We already worked out back in the thread that a TRD brake kit alone on a GTS is over $10k (Megane has factory Brembos), bringing the GTS' price already well over a Megane's. Then you would end up with an 86 that is still slow, but with good brakes.

Also, if a Ferrari Modena and BMW M5 is lapping the Ring slower than the RS265, I think it's gonna take a bit more than just $10k worth or mods on an 86 to get it ahead. Ferraris and M5s retail for a bit more than $10k over a Megane ;)

cyber_scriber

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Bruce
Drive
I wish it was in my driveway. Or rather, in my eight-car garage. Next to a new 86. And my Leggie. And a Toyota Sera with a Starlet turbo engine swap. And a JZX90 Cresta with a Vertex kit. And a Mercedes AMG C63 Black coupe. And that Trueno. And of course a modified RB4 Honda Odyssey.

The Odyssey haas got to be one of the sexiest people movers on the planet.

Shamwow

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Mike
Drive
Commodore (dont hate, its for work) & MY16 WRX Premium
So i went for a cruise to Portsea today, and took a wrong turn (as i do) and stumbled across a cafe parking lot

club day?

mookers

puri puri
First Name
Derek
Drive
CL9 Accord Euro Lux, GE Jazz VTi, Evil Supervillain Chair, Homemade Portable Square Drumkit
Holy shit. Is that like every single 86 in Victoria?

And what is up with the distortion on your camera lol

G

Unregistered
Too many quotes to bother quoting everything. I am unsure if I can chill out anymore, not only was my reaction perfectly normal, but I am sitting in Boardshorts in the aircon having a Dr pepper and watching the Footy while intermittently refreshing my browser.Pretty chilled.

Yes I meant a different result for the 86's time around the track, sorry if you didn't understand it. I do believe it would be possible to shave some time off with a manual transmission, however assuming that alone would allow it to beat the Megane is absurd.

The reason that the GTA is unable to be IDENTICAL (which yes I did say) is because it would lose far too much driveability and performance if it were. The few changes that Mitsubishi had to make were actually in an attempt to make the car perform better due to the performance it loses with the change of transmission. Mitsubishi did in fact attempt to keep the cars and their performance as Identical as possible, which is very difficult when trying to make a conventional automatic transmission work in a turbo high performance car.For argument sake even with the changes they are fairly close to being identical in the numbers, the auto gave away a few Kw and Nm's as all autos do.The weight is fairly similar and the chassis is the same.

That is a Mint for the brake upgrade,surely you could spend the cash on a DIY brake upgrade and some performance parts somewhere else.I feel sorry for anyone shelling out for that, especially considering it is largely unnecessary for the factory car.

Lets not bother comparing the price and performance of an 86 to that of a Ferrari.That is stupid, and a waste of time.

Lastly, I am glad you are going to test drive the car and I hope you can keep an open mind. Hopefully Toyota will soon come out with another Real Performance car like they used to make.Then we can all be happy. And I liked Odysees until I spent a few months in Malaysia and fell in love with Alphards.

Lets put it to rest until you drive the 86 and then you can start trolling again.

Shamwow

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Mike
Drive
was just my phone camera, and then yeah, youtube said to reduce shakiness, so i was like OK. but there was around another 4 in the opposite carpark too, cbf driving through it though.

G

Unregistered
They come up nice when done tastefully. Cant wait until they get some modded out ones performance wise breaking the mould.

qball

1 AYC Bar
First Name
David
Drive
1999 White Legnum Type S Cold Spec with Recaros+Sunroof
Is there any reason that people are choosing the 86 over the Subaru equal

Shamwow

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Mike
Drive
i reverted the video back to original, without the shakyshit youtube thing. now you get the shaky cam lol

cyber_scriber

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Bruce
Drive
The reason that the GTA is unable to be IDENTICAL (which yes I did say) ...

Let's keep it simple.

You said the difference in lap times between a GTA and manual E7 can be explained by the transmission only, as you claimed they were identical in every other respect. In hindsight, I think you now agree that this is wrong. It is not a matter of opinion or conjecture - it is simply factually incorrect. Let's drop it and move on.

That is a Mint for the brake upgrade,surely you could spend the cash on a DIY brake upgrade and some performance parts somewhere else.

It is what Toyota charges for it. Renault just throw in the Brembos as part of the package.

Remember, for many, the appeal of the 86 as a new car is the factory warranty, reliability, insurability, legality etc. DIY mods impact on all that. Bottom line is that you run what you brung and comparing modded to factory standard, engineered, all legal etc is silly.

Oh, and can we drop the trolling thing? It's getting old ... fast. I've been on these forums for a long time, contributing a stack of guides, FAQs and stickies. Stating the other side of the coin, aint trolling - it's called debating. I didn't sign up last week just to troll OZVR4 ;)

I am glad you are going to test drive the car and I hope you can keep an open mind. Hopefully Toyota will soon come out with another Real Performance car like they used to make.

Definitely will keep an open mind. I came from a RWD background so the 86 is right up my alley.

It looks like you may soon get your wish with Toyota's next performance car, this time jumping into bed with BMW:

http://smh.drive.com.au/motor-news/bmw-toyota-to-codevelop-sports-car-20120630-2190i.html

cyber_scriber

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Bruce
Drive
Is there any reason that people are choosing the 86 over the Subaru equal

Reports suggest the BRZ will have a slightly different suspension tune. The idea is to dial in more understeer to keep it in line with Subaru's AWD handling philosophy. I personally think more understeer in a car like this is crazy.

The BRZ will also come with the unique Subaru blue colour and will apparently be only available in a single, fully loaded spec, which will almost certainly have a higher entry price than the GT.

So in short, I think people will choose the 86 because the entry price will be cheaper. More tail out stuff will appeal, too.

ygoslo

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Tim
Drive
91 Silvia, 97 Galant
They come up nice when done tastefully. Cant wait until they get some modded out ones performance wise breaking the mould.

The HKS bolt-on supercharger kit is expected to hit the market within months, if not weeks.

Stating the other side of the coin, aint trolling - it's called debating. I didn't sign up last week just to troll OZVR4 ;)

Cute.

Top Bottom