Toyota FT-86

cyber_scriber

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Bruce
Drive
2000 Galant; metallic dark blue; manual; Recaros; Momo steering wheel; and sunroof!
No arguments about that here. Kudos to Toyota for coming back to the sports car game.

When I book in my test drive, I'm actually hoping the car will be a hoot to drive, but I'm fair minded enough to know it could go either way.

Sometimes, it's just fun play devil's advocate when all the fan bois are losing their nut over something they haven't even driven ;)

G

Unregistered
I think you could be a little optimistic ;)

Remember, this isn't the case of some ancient 4 speed auto vs a slick shifting 6 speed. The FT-86's auto is a 6 speed Aisen unit, based on the 8 speed in the Lexus IS-F.

The FT-86 was some 5 seconds slower around Bedford circuit. It might be a stretch to suggest that the manual could have made up more than 5 seconds to ensure that "a different track result would have definitely occurred".

For someone who obviously considers himself to be a genius, and considering that you are all to happy to explain to others how to follow a thread and read properly, I think you need to take into context what was said. No one claimed a manual transmission would cause a 5 second improvement in lap times. I actually stated the lap time would probably improve, however probably only slightly. Shaving half a second off a lap time would be considered "a different track result".

The Evo 7 GTA has a slightly different turbo to improve low-mid range performance in order to help it perform closer to the GSR despite its handicap of an A/T. I Believe many, if not all, cars fitted with an A/T have different power and torque figures, weights, suspension set ups and tunes to their manual counterparts, hence why using a manual 86 would have been a better option. It might not be a bad gearbox but its no TC-SST.

And there is nothing embarrassing about not being able to shake an MX-5 on a race track in a car that is in the same class, Being the car expert you are I'm sure you are aware of the history and reputation of the MX-5.

mookers

puri puri
First Name
Derek
Drive
CL9 Accord Euro Lux, GE Jazz VTi, Evil Supervillain Chair, Homemade Portable Square Drumkit
Sometimes, it's just fun play devil's advocate when all the fan bois are losing their nut over something they haven't even driven ;)

Bruce? Trolling people? Noooooo....

You heard it here folks. An open invitation to ignore his posts :)

G

Unregistered
And for the record, when I first seen a picture of the 86 however long ago it first appeared, I thought that thanks to Nissans new GTR, Honda's upcoming NSX and Mazda's upcoming RX 9 (I believe) that surely this was the successor to the Mighty TT-Supra. Sadly not but maybe one day. Then I would be a fan boy.

tails

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Taylor
Drive
'00 Galant
Isn't it a reboot of this guy...

img_2901_corolla-vi.jpg

It's not a numbers car either but gained a cult following as both the platform and engine turned out to be amazing. The 4AGE engine is one of the greatest engines ever and it only had 112hp out of the factory.

Maybe it'll turn out to be the same with the new 86?

ygoslo

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Tim
Drive
91 Silvia, 97 Galant
Bruce? Trolling people? Noooooo....

You heard it here folks. An open invitation to ignore his posts :)

I'm with you now I think dude. There's a distinct lack of subtlety creeping in over the last few days.

1275251442788.jpg

Gorgeous Trueno up there on the Panasports by the way. Perfect!!

mookers

puri puri
First Name
Derek
Drive
CL9 Accord Euro Lux, GE Jazz VTi, Evil Supervillain Chair, Homemade Portable Square Drumkit
It would be the ultimate irony if Tim drove an 86 and decided he didn't like it after all, and Bruce drove one and decided he loved it.

Oh, how much "fun" that would be... :p

Also, I want that Trueno, I don't care how fast it goes.

ygoslo

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Tim
Drive
91 Silvia, 97 Galant
Haha yep.

I love the look and concept so much I am actually using the 86 as a bit of a spur to get a little venture up and going so I might be able to afford one in 18 months or 2 years. Awkward if I didn't like it. I'm stubborn though - I'd just mod it til I did like it!

king_panther

Gettin' tanked
First Name
Brad
Drive
2012 VW Caddy 1.6TDI 7-Speed DSG. Still crappy DSG.....
Yea I don't think the intention was for it beat the Megane. Shocking if it did though.
Also unsure why it's in this comparison. Shouldn't they be throwing it against the Focus RS or Mazda 3 MPS?

Besides, this is the only modern Renault worth having anyways;
20273.jpg

G

Unregistered
I'm sure if you take it for what it is you will really like it. Not many better things you could get for that sort of money. Alternately pump $10,000 into it then compare it to the Megane lol.

ygoslo

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Tim
Drive
91 Silvia, 97 Galant
Alternately pump $10,000 into it then compare it to the Megane lol.

I love that sort of comparison. It's like the "OK Porsche, just let me spend $200k on mods to my new R35 and see if you're still so confident" comparison... It never ends well for the unmodified one!!

G

Unregistered
I love that sort of comparison. It's like the "OK Porsche, just let me spend $200k on mods to my new R35 and see if you're still so confident" comparison... It never ends well for the unmodified one!!

At the end of the day, most enthusiasts want a certain look and feeling and performance from a car they feel they have a connection with. Any dickhead can go out and buy something bigger and better and faster than you, a-la Lamborghini, and pretend to be a hardcore enthusiast.Those people care about the name and the numbers. A real enthusiast does what you just said, buys something and makes it theirs, and in doing so often puts the dickheads I just mentioned in their place in their modified and customised rides that they actually understand and can drive. Bang for your buck is a big factor and as an example, at the end of the day, although a $30,000 ft-86 isn't a worldbeater off the showroom floor, with some $$$ pumped into it it could be a real machine, if that's what your after.

My mate got smoked in his 230awk R33 GTR buy a clapped out looking beat up Tx-3 Turbo (I think that's what it was) a few days ago which I'm sure cost about half as much to build and looked like it should be sitting in a scrap yard somewhere. Where's your $45,000 megane now lol.

mookers

puri puri
First Name
Derek
Drive
Where's your $45,000 megane now lol.

I wish it was in my driveway. Or rather, in my eight-car garage. Next to a new 86. And my Leggie. And a Toyota Sera with a Starlet turbo engine swap. And a JZX90 Cresta with a Vertex kit. And a Mercedes AMG C63 Black coupe. And that Trueno. And of course a modified RB4 Honda Odyssey.

fieldy107

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Chris
Drive
Galant VR4
And for the record, when I first seen a picture of the 86 however long ago it first appeared, I thought that thanks to Nissans new GTR, Honda's upcoming NSX and Mazda's upcoming RX 9 (I believe) that surely this was the successor to the Mighty TT-Supra. Sadly not but maybe one day. Then I would be a fan boy.
Toyota are planning more sports cars, they want to have 3 in total including a new supra

G

Unregistered
I wish it was in my driveway. Or rather, in my eight-car garage. Next to a new 86. And my Leggie. And a Toyota Sera with a Starlet turbo engine swap. And a JZX90 Cresta with a Vertex kit. And a Mercedes AMG C63 Black coupe. And that Trueno. And of course a modified RB4 Honda Odyssey.

I'm living this fantasy Via Forza 4...for now lol.

ygoslo

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Tim
Drive
91 Silvia, 97 Galant
Yesterday I decided that if I did get a new 86 I would get a white one, do black vinyl wrap on the bottom half of the car panda style, whack the widest 16 or 17" Watanabes I could fit on it, put Fujiwara Tofu Shop decals on the doors and win the whole internet.

Flawless plan IMO.

Top Bottom