Tune Report: I went off to see the wizard.

matchtheclown

Time p33nt
First Name
hugh
Drive
99 VR-4 Type S Man
I spent sunday with David aka merlin tuning my legnum.

I had a 7203 ecu in my 99 type-s... which seemed to have a 7202 rom in it when we started, modding the 7202 rom wouldn't work, so merlin uploaded a 7203 one and we were in business.

With the new map and stock boost, the car felt pretty good. It seemed more lively in the top part of the rev range. We did a fair bit of street tuning, topping out in 1st and 2nd and then tuning out the knocks.

Then we put my manual boost controller back in. We installed it in a bleed off layout instead of the more standard restricitng method. My MBC (which is just a straight pressure valve) didn't flow enough to work this way. We added a bunch of restricting beads and we got it boosting up to about 17psi. But were hitting fuel cut in 2nd and 3rd. Merlin had a couple of variables to try to move fuel cut. After a significant amount of trial and error we seemed to have nailed it down.

In 3rd I get boost spiking up to 1.3bar (19psi) and no fuel cut. We were also getting minimal knock. So the tune looks quite safe from what merlin was saying.

The car is very well behaved in traffic. I will watch fuel economy on the next tank... this one is quickly being boosted into oblivion. I remember the car feeling fairly flat above 4k previous to the tune. Now it roars through 4-6+ when you have the foot down, it's pretty scary actually! Reminds me of my first time on a liter bike.

A bunch of other things like top speed and rev limit were tweaked. I couldn't tell you the full list.

Suffice to say, the car feels totally different. Loads more poweful. It will be interesting getting it on a dyno.

merlin truly is an ecu wizard and it was very enlightening to spend the day with him. Well worth it for anyone else in sydney.

/end

G

Unregistered
Is the new map usable even if you decide to remove the boost controller or will you need to get it remapped again?

godzilla

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Trevor
Drive
1/19 2002 FL Legnum Type 'S' Manual in Black with Suede Recaro's!
Man i cannot wait till Saturday now!

Hugh, have you had your car on a dyno previous?

matchtheclown

Time p33nt
First Name
hugh
Drive
99 VR-4 Type S Man
Is the new map usable even if you decide to remove the boost controller or will you need to get it remapped again?

The amount of boost doesn't seem to affect the map, well I really don't know a whole lot about it, maybe merlin will chime in. When we boosted it we got more knock at the higher loads, which were then tuned out. From what I understand that tuning on lower boost wont make a noticeable difference.

I have had my car dyno'd before. It only had 145kw, and they told me my AFR was all over the shop. I reckon there sensor was put on wrong. My AFR was spot on while we tuned. It will be good to have a new figure to compare it too. My guess for a gamble would be I have around ~170kw now... just based on the mods I have + finally being tuned.

qball

1 AYC Bar
First Name
David
Drive
1999 White Legnum Type S Cold Spec with Recaros+Sunroof
Was this at meek? and how much was it if its ok to ask

naughtika

OzVR4 Stalker
First Name
Christian
Drive
'96 Galant VR4, '17 MB A180, '25 Macan GTS
Dan, have a search in the forum, friendly workshops have been mentioned here before..

gorgath

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Irwin
Drive
1997 Legnum RED!!!
Hugh, what is your supporting mods for this tune?

matchtheclown

Time p33nt
First Name
hugh
Drive
99 VR-4 Type S Man
It was at the wizards castle (Daves house).

I have front mount and full piping. Cat back 3" trust exhaust. ARC air box (sucking hot air quesitonable mod). Manual boost controller, boost guage. Evo Bov (evo 6 or 7 plastic one I picked up for $5 apparnetly they are good for 20psi). That's it.

Hotwire

1 AYC Bar
Premium Member
First Name
Lee
Drive
97 COTY
Hugh - Did dave have a wideband O2 sensor he put in your exhaust, or was your tuning simply done by logging and watching knock count?

matchtheclown

Time p33nt
First Name
hugh
Drive
99 VR-4 Type S Man
He put an O2 sensor in my exhaust, but it was mainly used to check that the reading in evoscan was pretty close. Then tuning was done by logging and looking for knock.

minik1971

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Nigel
Drive
White 1990 BMW 535i was a Black 1998 Legnum FL (written off)
I think the wizard should holiday in Tasmania next time he needs a break :)
I wish there was workshops and mechanics like that in Tasmania.

Hotwire

1 AYC Bar
Premium Member
First Name
Lee
Drive
97 COTY
He put an O2 sensor in my exhaust, but it was mainly used to check that the reading in evoscan was pretty close. Then tuning was done by logging and looking for knock.

When you say check the reading in Evo scan was close, the stock O2 sensor is only narrowband, therefore do you know what he was comparing it to? Or do you mean he was checking the target AFR of the fuel maps to the AFR at the exhaust tip?

merlin

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
David
Drive
Evolution IX
You put a dummy block map in and check the calibration of the fuel system and how close it targets your block map at loads over atmospheric pressure.
You use EvoScan to verify your O2 sensor is working properly and your fuel trims are OK.
If the trims are way off, that would point to a fault in the fuel system, somewhere.
ie pump, filter, regulator, injectors, latency, scaling, O2 sensor.
Very simple and unambiguous - if lean spool is not operating, which was/is the case with stock ROMs.

VR-04-TT

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Paul
Drive
2005 Liberty 3.0R Spec B
Sounds great Hugh! And great work Dave :)

Once I get the quibbles sorted in mine I'll definitely be bringing it around for some tweakage :)

kymbo

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Kym
Drive
98 Galant, S14A 200SX, GC Galant
So your running 17psi on the standard turbos?

i thought they couldn't handle anything more than really 14psi before they started destroying themself or became inefficient?

happy to be wrong though

fieldy107

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Chris
Drive
Galant VR4
Guessing because he has the supporting mods like exhaust+FMIC it alloys him to run a bit more

matchtheclown

Time p33nt
First Name
hugh
Drive
99 VR-4 Type S Man
Kym,

I hope you're wrong. They seem to be producing it no troubles. It even spikes to 19 sometimes with my current setup and the tune seems to handle it fine. I do hope my turbo's don't decide to spit themselves out my bonnet in the next 5000k's...

What boost is Bradc running?

Currently due to my clutch I can't really push it anyhow.

I think my clutch held on just long enough for us to tune... then decided it had lived long enough :/

Hotwire

1 AYC Bar
Premium Member
First Name
Lee
Drive
97 COTY
Shits gonna go bang..........

:lol:

Honestly, at that sort of pressure, yes you may be beyond the peak efficiency of the turbo range, but i dont know who can confirm as in hours of seraching I can't find a compressor map for the TD03's at all..
unless anyone else has had some luck?

I do believe they aren't going to die tomorrow, but I wouldn't expect another 100,000km out of them either.

Top Bottom