Two problems with '97 Leggy

emako888

Crunching Gears
First Name
Eleanor
Drive
2005 Volvo XC90, 1991 Mitsu GTO, Kawasaki Ninja 650RL
Hi all,

Long story short- Split a braided brake line on Wednesday night, drove it the few Kms to our destination (didnt know it was split at that point), got a new one made up and fitted it Thursday night. Bled the system (RR-FL-RL-FR), holds pressure after 3 pumps but as soon as you let off the pedal for a few seconds its sinks back to the floor again. Is it a matter of keep bleeding the brakes (done it 3 times already) or has something else now malfunctioned?

Second problem- Moderate vibration under acceleration. Possibly coming from the front.

Thanks guys. :)

G

Unregistered
My father had a similar problem with his Audi TT, it had air in the ABS Module (Pump) that would't come out, it was eventually pushed out through normal brake operation.

emako888

Crunching Gears
First Name
Eleanor
Drive
Auto.

Fair enough. The brakes don't work at all now so not sure how to get the air out in that manner. But thanks :)

emako888

Crunching Gears
First Name
Eleanor
Drive
Is there any other way to get air out of the ABS unit?

Gt_Galant

EC5A
First Name
Fred
Drive
Galant
Hey,

I know this might sound stupid but have you ever done this before ?
Because when i first bleed the brakes i thought i did it right but was wrong

here a example on how to do it properly :

If this is the way you done it then it might be something else, but if not then that how you do it

I did a friends car about 2 months ago and was all wrong and did what that video did and after that didnt have a problem :)

Black_Ice

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Aamir
Drive
WRX
If auto, the shuddering might be a wave spring issue...Does it happen in selected gears only?
Change gbox oil would be my first port of call if you have not done it recently or dont know when it was last done.

G

Unregistered
Agree with Aamir.
Also, just a thought, I had a vibrating on acceleration that I thought was my Transmission. Checked my Trans fluid/Wheel bearings/LCA's and finally discovered it was a collapsed Engine mount rubber allowing the Vibrations to travel through the car. New mounts = Problem solved.

emako888

Crunching Gears
First Name
Eleanor
Drive
Haha doesnt sound stupid. I havent done it before but my partner who I was doing it with has done it a few times before. But thanks for the video, thats how weve been doing it but good to have it confirmed. ABS was activated when the line was split so we'll have a go at getting the air out of that and bleeding it this afternoon and see how it goes.

With the vibration- Seems to happen in all gears. Engine mounts were upgraded to polyurethane before we bought it. The trans was upgraded and not sure when it last had its oil changed so that might be a good start.

G

Unregistered
Urethane mounts sometimes vibrate due to their stiffness, mine vibrates hard at idle.

Top Bottom