Tyre Recommendations?

Anton_Willows

Hesitantly Boosting
First Name
Tony
Drive
1996 Legnum VR-4
I had 215/45 r17 Federal 595's with like a load rating of 88 :001_huh: and speed rating v = 240km/h they were average i though, very noisy and wore very quickly.. but for the noise and wear I would have expected much better grip (especially in the wet). Then one tyre developed tyre separation and OMG like driving with square wheel's! lol
Got some 225/45 r 17 Zetum Sport 37 (load rating - 94, speed rating V) put on today, I'm not expecting amazing grip just wanted a quite and comfortable tyre.. plus @ $159 fitted and aligned. Normally I would have sourced something online but I needed it fixed today.

*edited, should probably start proof reading my posts.

pu-11-me

and put an LSD in it
First Name
Dawso
Drive
VW Touareg
Haven't tried the nitto's, might give them a shot when the 595's run out. either that or the kumho ecsta KU36. I've heard a lot of good things about the kumhos

I liked them for grip.... But treadwear and noise is disgusting.

Mind you, with the other mods to my car at the time I was using them, those things were pretty much the least annoying side effects of mods to the car :)

GMan

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Jet
Drive
2000 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4
Will be fitting a set of Bridgestone Adrenalin RE002s on the weekend -- got them for $199 each. Will see how they go compared to the Yokohama AS430s I had. AS430 was an all-weather tyre though, so should be a significant improvement.

Macca

Showing some Leg.
First Name
Craig 'Macca' Mclean
Drive
2000 Mitsubishi Legnum Type S
I liked them for grip.... But treadwear and noise is disgusting.

I agree that the grip is great but I'd also say the road noise is a lot less than my last set of tires. On the rough roads we have up here you can still hear them but they aren't loud and when you hit the smooth stuff they are quiet as. As for tread wear I guess I'll just have to see :)

Poita

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Peter
Drive
Legnum
Will be fitting a set of Bridgestone Adrenalin RE002s on the weekend -- got them for $199 each. Will see how they go compared to the Yokohama AS430s I had. AS430 was an all-weather tyre though, so should be a significant improvement.

You won't regret them, I love my set.

NuffNuff

1 AYC Bar
Lifetime Member
First Name
Damian
Drive
GTI, GTI, FL Manual Legnum VR4
just ordered these ... 235 40 18" Hancook Ventus RS3 (Z222) $255 a corner. gonna be 2 weeks away before they are fitted :(

should be nice and sticky

was sick and tired of my tyres being different on the front than they were on the back, plus my Toyos were completely squared off on the inside rears from scrubbing. fronts were garbage and caused a lot of understeer.

hooter

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
neale fraser
Drive
miester blue legnum
? has anybody seen tyrres nitto invo tyrres for $130 on ebay[225 17 45] i think ha tempe tyres = sorry bit blocked

AKKO

2 AYC Bars
Lifetime Member
First Name
Chris
Drive
1998 Galant VR4 Type-V (Facelift)
Short of visiting the local tyre guy here's a different type of recommendation query here...

What's the best method of storage for tyres on rims , position. / rotation etc

Any concerns if theyve been resting in certain positions for an extended period in a shed etc

dwarfmarine

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Cameron
Drive
Previous: Black PFL Legnum
Current: TD5 Land Rover Disco
For long periods of time, ie if the car is not being used, best way is to take them off and stack them ontop of each other as far as I know..

AKKO

2 AYC Bars
Lifetime Member
First Name
Chris
Drive
1998 Galant VR4 Type-V (Facelift)
Great thats how theyve been stored until now...
unfortunately the continental contact sport 2s have suffered a hard life, and its time to put some wear on the semi slicks since kve not yet parted with the second set of Evo 8 MR rims!

NuffNuff

1 AYC Bar
Lifetime Member
First Name
Damian
Drive
VoAtEGJl.jpg

235 40 18" Hancook Ventus RS3 (Z222)

picked up the new tyres, dialled in the coil overs and weighted it to a near perfect 50/50 balance

once these are warm, the grip they supply the car is insane. now to see how long they will last (probably 6 months)

hooter

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
neale fraser
Drive
miester blue legnum
got some kumho 17s from tempe tyres [what a scene]saved 35$ a tyre over newcastle prices then hooted down to taleb tyres and picked up some 225 45 17 nitto invos for $130 each ha/ into storage they go=lesson learned the newcasle tyre sellers are greedy eg bridgestone wanted 189 for 195 60 15s for the units astra

Rabit

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Robert
Drive
2000 Legnum Mint with 44589ks when I got it. Now with black leather seats. After 3 years of fun some terminal engine bay wiring issues raised their ugly heads and it died. I Now drive a 2002 Legnum and have retired the 2000 to spare parts duty.
Has anyone tried Nexan 3000 tyres on our cars. How do they rate for ride, handling, wear and noise. Remember Im an old bugger who likes his comfort.

naughtika

OzVR4 Stalker
First Name
Christian
Drive
'96 Galant VR4, '17 MB A180, '25 Macan GTS
Has anyone tried Nexan 3000 tyres on our cars. How do they rate for ride, handling, wear and noise. Remember Im an old bugger who likes his comfort.

Nexan would be somewhere on the bottom of the list, from what i read, compound is hard, doesn't grip well on wet roads and not sure on the noise

suggest you get bridgstone, goodyear or at least kumho..

dwarfmarine

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Cameron
Drive
Previous: Black PFL Legnum
Current: TD5 Land Rover Disco
Ive recently got a set of Achillies ATR Sport 2 tyres.

same price as the Sport 1 (or atleast for me- $110ea)

Dry grip significantly imporved- did a short sprint up the hills the night i got them, easily added another 10kms cornering speed
Wet grip has been fixed- a bit, still room for improvement here but are much more predictable now.

Same load rating as before and retain the 400treadwear rating.
Great budget performance tyre made better
(though its not as pretty as the the pattern on the S1)

Damien, thouse Ventus are a very nice looking tyre (minus the tribal shit)- i like my tyres to have an appealing tread pattern) what do they run at a corner?

GMan

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Jet
Drive
2000 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4
Well I have had the Bridgestone RE002s on my car for about a month now and I am very happy with them. They are way better than the old AS430s I had. They are a quieter tyre and give a better, more compliant ride. The tyres are also way more responsive -- the lack of steering feel I experienced when I first bought the car have been mostly alleviated with the RE002s. I have had a chance to test the tyres at or near the limit of grip and they do squeal a bit at those limits, but their grip is at least as good as the old tyres. I haven't run them in properly yet as I don't really use the car that often, but once they achieve their true grip levels, I will test them again. But so far, I have no complaints.

NuffNuff

1 AYC Bar
Lifetime Member
First Name
Damian
Drive
Hi Cameron,

$250 a tyre, the grip is phenomenal. we estimated at most probably get 15,000km out of a set. they are loud, but comfortable (my car isnt a daily anymore so im not fussed, coilovers are on hard setting anyway). wet grip to me is excellent, however i have only been in the wet but not on a 10c day so not sure how they will go on short trips but i normally use my other car for that

you can hear the rocks sticking to them everywhere you go. my sides hurt

Top Bottom