Tyre Recommendations?

TME_Steve

3 AYC Bars
Lifetime Member
First Name
Steve
Drive
2010 nt did pajero tow car / 2000 6spd gc8 wrx tarmac rally car / 2000 Manual Subaru Outback 2.5 just a car
I still say Dunlop Direzza Star Spec Z1. Available from OS only.

STAGTR

Hesitantly Boosting
First Name
Pete
Drive
99 Legnum VR4 Type S, Stagea 260RS, 11 Jeep Grand Cherokee
If anyone is interested, the Federal RS-R's on my fronts (now rotated to rears!) are almost down to TWI after only 8000km, the rears are about 50%... normally rotate, balance & wheel align every 10,000km but there was no way they were going to make it. Didn't think there was that much extra weight on the front of the car.

Pretty average wear and the grip isn't that phenomenal (still miles ahead of most UHP tyres though)... looks like I get a chance to try the Toyo R888's soon!

Poita

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Peter
Drive
Legnum
Where are people buying their Nitto Invos from? The Continentals on the new rims are just about gone so looking at purchasing a new set.
Had the RE002s on the stock rims and loved them but thought I would try the Nittos as everyone seems to like them.

Tirerack doesn't have them and Ozzy tyres don't have them in 235/45R17.

Edit: Taleb Tyres will deliver 4 for $800.

twisted32

Leaving Skid Marks
Lifetime Member
First Name
Rob
Drive
2000 Type S Leggy (toy)
NW Pajero (daily)
Peter,
I know you had the RE002's (like I do now), and I think Bridgestone are doing buy 3, 4th is free (they had the same deal this time last year when I got mine) so they work out pretty cheap...

Poita

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Peter
Drive
Legnum
Gee that would work out cheap...

Might give the local guys a ring.

Edit: (in 235/45/17)
Bob Jane are $651 for 4x RE002 (+ fitting, balance and wheel alignment)
Taleb Tyres are $800 for 4x Invo (+ fitting, balance and wheel alignment)

So the RE002s are a damn good price right now, works out to $162.75 per tyre! Special is on to the end of may.

Poita

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Peter
Drive
Legnum
Just tried to do some math to work out how long the RE002s have lasted.
They are on factory rims and they have never been rotated. Only wheel alignment was when they were put on the car.

Bought at 93k and I put the new rims on at about 114k (so 21k) and there is still 3-4mm of tread left to the little bump marker thingy. So I would say an easy 25k. Pretty impressive given their grip and noise levels!

Will grab a set for the new 17s I think :)

Unco_Tomato

Leaving Skid Marks
Lifetime Member
First Name
Matt
Drive
1996 White Manual Legnum w/ FL Kit
Hey guys,

I just got a set of new wheels from Japan, though they won't be going on the car until I can afford to put some new coilovers on at the same time, so for now I'm just looking at getting some rubber organised for the rear tyres, though I'm hopping the current tyres will fit the front wheels (with the aid of spacers and guard pulling/rolling) or is that a bad idea? Should I just replace all of the tyres at once and hope to sell the current ones as a set? (85% tread left).

Anyway, new wheels and try combo is as follows.

Front Wheels: SSR Koenig 8.5Jx18 +41
Rear WHeels; SSR Koenig 9.5Jx18 +41

Front Tyres: Bridgestone Playz PZ-X 225/40 18
Rear Tyres: Bridgestone Playz PZ-X 255/35 18

So, I'm fairly confident the 255's are going to be too wide to fit with 9.5" wheels.

I was thinking something like the following? Or will I need a lower profile?
Front: Nitto NT01 - 225/40 18 91Z
Rear: Nitto NT01 - 235/40 18 88Z

[Image not found]

[Image not found]
[Image not found]

hooter

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
neale fraser
Drive
miester blue legnum
refer to post 377 hooter- 11/4 and now the invos at this time really look like need rotating to get another 6 months -the 235's held up heaps better on the edge bit things than the 225's but then again i only get 17 ltres/100km just to go to the local shops -thirsty yes keep the fluids up

hooter

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
neale fraser
Drive
miester blue legnum
might put the evo7 rims and ok 235 invos back on after rego check or why not go madnes aansd put on old bbss and diamondbck tyres and go puddle hunping

hooter

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
neale fraser
Drive
miester blue legnum
no no i'm good now - nitto invos wear out the outside edges and make the tyre look unfit but as in both sets of tyres i have, they are fine imo just those soft edges and yes i will still get these again -great positive feel in the wet plus 4wd -awesome -just ease off in roundabouts

Rabit

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Robert
Drive
2000 Legnum Mint with 44589ks when I got it. Now with black leather seats. After 3 years of fun some terminal engine bay wiring issues raised their ugly heads and it died. I Now drive a 2002 Legnum and have retired the 2000 to spare parts duty.
Running different tread pattern front and rear is a definite no no for our cars with AYC??
Running a different tread pattern front to rear is ok provided the tyres are the same size. on the rear axle at least you need to have the same tyre on either side or you will have trouble with the AYC. You even need even tyre pressure on the rear.

ConnerS

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Nick
Drive
02 Legnum type S
98 Lancer Evo 5 GSR
Anyone know where to get RE-11's from? tirerack.com wont ship Bridgestone and alot of my local shops dont sell them.

knickers

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Nic
Drive
'99 EC5A VR-4 Type V
I realise these are three different 'types' of tyres, but which is better for a daily driver who likes to corner quickly but not replace tyres every year (stock rims 205 55 R16):

Kumho KU31
Toyo T1 Sport
ContiSport Contact 2

(60% weighting to enjoyment and 40% to economy)

GO!

tails

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Taylor
Drive
'00 Galant
I'm using KU31s at the moment and I'm pretty happy. They also perform very well in the wet, the reviews will also back this up.

TME_Steve

3 AYC Bars
Lifetime Member
First Name
Steve
Drive
2010 nt did pajero tow car / 2000 6spd gc8 wrx tarmac rally car / 2000 Manual Subaru Outback 2.5 just a car
Anyone know where to get RE-11's from? tirerack.com wont ship Bridgestone and alot of my local shops dont sell them.

Gary's motorsport in Sydney. Don't know if they'll post though. Surely there is a Melbourne equivalent....

and i just got another set of z1 star specs as I love them so much and they were cheaper than the z2 as they're now discontinued....

hooter

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
neale fraser
Drive
miester blue legnum
no no i'm good now - nitto invos wear out the outside edges and make the tyre look unfit but as in both sets of tyres i have, they are fine imo just those soft edges and yes i will still get these again -great positive feel in the wet plus 4wd -awesome -just ease off in roundabouts

yes because they don't thimk you can get around em so quick and up looking at the units suprized face

knickers

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Nic
Drive
'99 EC5A VR-4 Type V
ATR Sport for $100 or RE002 for $150?

Which would you choose for a daily?

TME_Steve

3 AYC Bars
Lifetime Member
First Name
Steve
Drive
RE002 anyday, but then I'm running z1 star specs on a daily that I don't drive (how's that work) and am about to sell so....

Top Bottom