VR-4 vs Skyline in the real world

Status
Not open for further replies.

cyber_scriber

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Bruce
Drive
2000 Galant; metallic dark blue; manual; Recaros; Momo steering wheel; and sunroof!
A question was asked in the "too lazy" thread about how the Galant / Legnum would fare against a Skyline GTS-T / GT-T in the 0-100 and quarter mile, assuming stock for stock.

Tim made an interesting point about disregarding magazine figures and focusing on what people were likely to get in the real world.

Rather than clog up the "too lazy" thread, I'd thought I'd continue the discussion in this new thread.

The stock v stock comparisons that you guys are doing on paper are ignoring torque and the way the power is delivered, BTW. I'd be guessing that, with the better top end, an R34 GT-T would be quicker than a VR4 down the quarter. I'd say an R33 GTS-25t would also be pretty close.

I agree that "on paper" comparisons are not perfect translations to real world conditions. For example, the on paper 0-100 and quarter mile figures recorded by magazines are often done in perfect conditions, with professional drivers, in a brand new car etc.

However, I think you're forgetting that in general, an AWD will be easier to launch and get consistently fast 0-100 and quarter mile times, compared to a powerful RWD. That is, in the real world, the average Joe will be consistently faster in an AWD compared to a powerful RWD. Further, the average Joe also has a better chance of getting closer to the on paper figures in an AWD rather than a powerful RWD.

Nevertheless, let's ignore the on paper figures for a moment and see what normal drivers get in the real world:

1) From the Skylines Owners Club and Skylines Australia

a) "stock manual R33 [GTS-T] does this [0-100] in about 7.0 seconds"

b) "the 0-100km/h times a stock r33 with an rb25det under the bonnet? i'd say most people will be getting about 7sec for 0-100 times"

c) "I'd like to think the R33 GTST does it in 6 secs though I think 7 is more like it (based on experience in other cars where reliable times are available). I know import magazine did it in 6.2 or 6.3 though I don't know how reliable their figures are."

d) "in my s2 r33 gts-t stock ran 6.9 and with a pod, cat back, hi flo cat , fmic, no tuning nothing, i ran a 6.5..."

e) And for the GT-T: "Post-release road tests recorded 7.2 seconds for 0-100km/h and seat-of-the-pants estimation says that our nicely-loosened example might be a tad quicker. 0-400 metres in 14.9 seconds"

f) "My old GTS-T was making about 370ish bhp and I only managed a 109.7 mph trap speed. And a time of 14.4 !! haha."

g) "i did a 14.5 with exhaust and filter".

h) "I am runing 14.7 to 14.8 on stock boost".

i) "I did a 14.46 @ 107 mph on saturday, which tbh is poor for 400 bhp but i ran with road tyres".

j) "Best I could do with Air filter, decat, FMIC, boost controller and 4 inch straight through pipe was 15 seconds".

So what we can deduce from real owners of both the GTST and GT-T is that in the real world, a stock Skyline with a normal driver is likely to do:

a) 0-100 in the high 6's or flat 7's; and

b) the quarter in the high 14's - in fact, some guys that were running mid 14's were packing 370-400BHP!

2) From OZVR4

Now if only we had data on what Galant and Legnum owners were doing with their cars in the real world ... in fact, we do!!! See here:

http://www.ozvr4.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1806

Just a quick browse through that thread shows a 191kW, auto Series 1, Legnum doing the quarter in 14.469. Remember, this is a worst case scenario - it's an auto, only makes 191kW (instead of 206kW) and is the heavier Legnum shape. I think you will agree that a manual, 206kW, lighter Galant is likely to go even faster.

We also know that standard manual Galants are good for flat 6's to the 100. In fact, in that real world comparison between a Legnum, Caldina and Stagea, they got the Legnum going from 0-100 in 6.1 seconds. Again, the lighter Galant would be quicker.

What about modded Galants/Legnums though? If 370-400BHP Skylines in the hands of normal drivers are getting 14.5 seconds down the quarter, what will it take to get the Mitsubishi under 14.5? Not much - people here are running mid 13's with less power than that:

http://ozvr4.com/forums/showthread.php?p=29376

Based on the above real world figures, I stand by my original statement that stock for stock, a Galant / Legnum should be quite a bit faster than a GTS-T and slightly faster than a GT-T. In auto form, the gap will be even bigger. This is whether on paper or in the real world. In fact, with the less than perfect street surfaces, wet or greasy conditions, average Joe drivers etc, in the real world, I'd wager that a stock Galant would be quite a bit faster than a stock Skyline. It would be a safe wager too because I've already conducted real world testing in my stock, manual Galant against my friend's 1999 stock Skyline GT-T. We even swapped cars to confirm the result - he wasn't happy ;)

Tim, just like I previously asked you whether you had actually driven an Evo X before holding an opinion that appears gospel, have you actually compared a stock Galant against a stock GT-T from behind the wheel of both cars and if so, what did you find?

ygoslo

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Tim
Drive
91 Silvia, 97 Galant
You seem to have ignored my use of the word "guessing". Hardly "an opinion that appears gospel", then.

But I seem to have given you something to do for the last few hours, so that's cool.

cyber_scriber

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Bruce
Drive
2000 Galant; metallic dark blue; manual; Recaros; Momo steering wheel; and sunroof!
So you guessed wrong? Surely not! Lol!

I love reading up about our cars so the time just flew by ;)

Besides, it's good to get a definitive position on how VR-4s fare against Skylines in the real world.

unclepaulie

hellatemplate ;)
Lifetime Member
First Name
Paul
Drive
hairdresser spec lancer coupe
hmmm thats good news, but

since when is there ever a stock r33 gtst around? everyone i was seen has at least two of the following

exhaust
cooler
boost controller
pod
air/fuel controller

Mortz

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Luke M
Drive
1997 Legnum VR4
WoOoOTZzz we beatz dose dere Skylizzles! We'z the maannn! ;)
No but really, good stuff Bruce...interesting read for sure.

ygoslo

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Tim
Drive
91 Silvia, 97 Galant
Yeah I was actually going to make that point when the same discussion was raised regarding Silvias. I was actually surprised that Bruce had driven a stock Silvia. I didn't think they existed. S15s do I guess. They haven't all had the lame belted out of them yet.

cyber_scriber

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Bruce
Drive
I think you're right Paul. However, what we've just seen from Skyline owners is that more mods does not necessarily equate to a much faster time - see those two Skylines packing 370 - 400BHP but still doing the quarter in the mid 14's? Unless I'm mistaken, a standard manual Galant will easily do mid 14's.

I think the problem is that the more power you add to a RWD, the more skill (and luck!) you need to get it away cleanly. It's a very fine line between bogging it and just sitting there lighting up the rears. This becomes even harder when you're away from the smoother and more predictable surface of the drag strip.

Compare this to our AWDs. Sure, VR-4's don't have the same aftermarket support as the RB25DETs, but the old adage rings true here - power is nothing without control!

Scottie

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Scott
Drive
1999 Type S Legnum
What about tyres?

I couldn't keep up with a R34 with an exhaust thru corners. Driver was a nut and his car had the grip to stick.

Having said that, i had a 230RWKW Datsun 1600 that i could nail in every gear and get full traction, even with the 20 degree neg camber it had. With a good set of tyres and the right technique, good power and RWD shouldn't be a problem.

cyber_scriber

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Bruce
Drive
No but really, good stuff Bruce...interesting read for sure.

I was surprised myself that on a Skyline forum, we had realistic Skyline owners admitting that in the real world and in the hands of Joe Shmoe, the Skylines weren't that blisteringly fast. Very interesting to read that!

Before I went on to see what Skylines were capable of, I was half expecting one-eyed Skyline owners to be claiming that there were smashing the drag strip. Seems not!

ygoslo

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Tim
Drive
91 Silvia, 97 Galant
see those two Skylines packing 370 - 400BHP but still doing the quarter in the mid 14's?

Something's gone very wrong behind the steering wheel there.

My 175rwkw CA18DET Silvia was capable of 5.09sec 0-100 with a dud driver (me), a crappy road surface, stiff coilovers and half bald 215/45 17 Nankangs.

cyber_scriber

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Bruce
Drive
What about tyres?

I couldn't keep up with a R34 with an exhaust thru corners. Driver was a nut and his car had the grip to stick.

Having said that, i had a 230RWKW Datsun 1600 that i could nail in every gear and get full traction, even with the 20 degree neg camber it had. With a good set of tyres and the right technique, good power and RWD shouldn't be a problem.

Definitely agree that tyres make a big difference. A RWD with a good set of semi slicks will be quick (in the dry at least). In the wet, it would be a widow maker.

At the strip, put on a set of Nittos or drag Hoosiers and on the sticky surface, RWDs can be very, very quick, especially as the weight shifts back under acceleration.

However, in the real world and with normal drivers (and not nutters on slicks!), I reckon AWD is the perfect set up for going fast in most conditions and in the hands of most drivers.

Put another way - Walter Rohl is blindingly quick in a Porsche Carrera GT and so is Toshio Suzuki in the GT-R. You and I would still be pretty fast in a GT-R but we'd be dead in the Carrera GT ;)

Scottie

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Scott
Drive
1999 Type S Legnum
Oath, do the math. Skyline with 400BHP + 14.5 = shit driver, or it was wet or something.

cyber_scriber

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Bruce
Drive
Something's gone very wrong behind the steering wheel there.

My 175rwkw CA18DET Silvia was capable of 5.09sec 0-100 with a dud driver (me), a crappy road surface, stiff coilovers and half bald 215/45 17 Nankangs.

My guess is the launch - bogging or spinning.

I'd be interested to see the trap speed of these high HP Skylines though. I'm guessing they'd tell an interesting story.

cyber_scriber

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Bruce
Drive
I was actually surprised that Bruce had driven a stock Silvia. I didn't think they existed.

They're stock when you buy them new from Nissan. However, as you would know, SR20's rarely remain stock for very long ;)

cyber_scriber

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Bruce
Drive
Oath, do the math. Skyline with 400BHP + 14.5 = shit driver, or it was wet or something.

Tyres probably fugged up his launch and made it impossible to put the power down cleanly. No point having 400BHP if you can't transmit most of it to the road.

He does almost apologetically admit that he was running road tyres that let him down.

steveP

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Steve
Drive
VR4 Galant
i have actually driven a near stock 34. and gone up against my mates 33 (180rwkw).

the problem skylines and most rwd cars have is traction. on lauch i would kill most skylines, simply due to have traction and both cars using road tyres. with rwd's u gota feather the throttle just enough to get a decent launch, and it heavily relies on the driver.

so anywho how does a vr4 go against a stock 34 and modded 33. well launch i win hands down. as soon as they get traction they catch up no probs. i think this is due to drivetrain loss in power and our small turbos. i also notice the same probs with wrx's. they have good launches, but **** all top end. also due to their small turbos and awd drivetrains.

so in a straight line, with both skyline and vr4 getting traction, the top end of the skyline will surpass the vr4 any day. however in the hills or thru twisties (the only comparision that matters lol. i mean anyone can plant a car in a straight line), it was was a different story. the skylines just couldnt keep up with the cornering speed of the vr4. i barely gota slow down, where the skylines need to do the 'slow in, fast out' approach. and then every corner u got the same traction issues.

so if u wanted to build a drag vr4. go some massive turbos, seeing lag and traction isnt an issue like on skylines.

pu-11-me

and put an LSD in it
First Name
Dawso
Drive
VW Touareg
Straight line racing is for Americans....

Always remember, the speed limit is the limit, and recommended corner speeds are "recommended".... Who wins? :p

mills_88

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Matt
Drive
Toyota Supra RZ - The Project
Holden Commodore SS VF Series 2 - The Daily
Interesting thread, i always used to use quarter mile times to compare cars but in the real world its not that accurate. I mean Rhys' car was a good example of how some car/driver combos are a lot quicker than others cos he ran almost a 13 flat with cat back, boost and strengthened clutch.

bradc

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Brad
Drive
Facelift Manual 400hp VR-4 Legnum
How many VR-4's are still stock in this club? Most of them have boost and an exhaust, which on our dyno day in NZ meant most were making 220-240kw and 420-460nm torque.

VR-04-TT

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Paul
Drive
2005 Liberty 3.0R Spec B
I had a fun run on the way home with a 33 turbo non gtr on sunday...(gts-t, I think? Memory is hazy). I think it was a combination of me knowing that road ridiculously well and him perhaps not as well, but he had no chance of getting away, even on the straight sections. I didn't see a ridiculous canon or anything out of the ordinary, so I don't know if it was stock or not.

It was great fun regardless :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom