What I ended up buying instead of a Legnum.... (still a Mitsu)

SupremeMoFo

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Evan
Drive
MY01 Magna Sports
Well, my Legnum dreams were put paid to by insurance realities. Same also put paid to an E34 BMW 540i, gen2 Legacy GT, etc, etc

So, here she is!

03062008037a.jpg

03062008036a.jpg

IMGP4150a.jpg

It's a MY01 TJ Magna Sports, manual (as you can see from the cluster), lowered, freer-flowing pipe into factory muffler with welded-on tip (which needs to go!), JVC h/u and otherwise stock. The colour is Sable black and I hope it never has to see a body shop because it's black with metallic green flake clearcoat.

It's pretty close to a Galant, really...

dimi_108

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Dimi
Drive
NSX/Magna/M5
Hey Evan when you say insurance stopped you from going ahead with the VR-4, was this because you were doing finance (secure loan)?
Because there's a lot of VR-4's that are available for cheap to buy outright and import now, and you could have just done third party fire and theft until you turn 25 or insurance goes down for you?

But i must say, that Magna looks very very clean. Dash looks wicked too.

SupremeMoFo

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Evan
Drive
MY01 Magna Sports
Cheers Dimi! Yeah I could've but I think even finding that would've been a stretch. Also given the way fuel prices have gone in the last month I'm happy I've gone with an atmo V6! Also I don't think Legnums have the speed warning/chime feature which the Magna does... it's really handy, as most roads in Adelaide are a 60km/h limit so I just set it to 65 and it looks after me.

This Magna was only $9k, and I'd be looking at similar kms but 5 years older as well for a Legnum/Galant. At any rate, I can't stand autos and the manual in the Legnum really isn't suited to highway use as we all know - at least this sits on 2500rpm at 100km/h. There's methods in the madness =)

It's a pretty nice thing to drive for an Aussie barge. Traction in the wet is hilarious but in the dry it's pretty manageable in most situations.

bradc

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Brad
Drive
Facelift Manual 400hp VR-4 Legnum
ohh ohh, now I'm keen on something!

Can you please drive at 2000rpm in all 5 gears and tell me the speed you travel at in each gear?

G

Unregistered
Man she looks real clean. I owned a Magna before i got the Galant (model before yours in a sports as well), and i loved her alot. I was really disapointed when i had to trade her in, but in the end it all turned out ok.

The only thing i will say is that the magna falls down because of her front wheel drive. Thats the only reason why i will never get one again. I just wish i had pulled out the custom from strut bar before i traded her in, i would have given it to you. Tightened up the front a treat.

G

Unregistered
I'm not usually into Magna's and I could name a lot of cars I'd buy before even thinking of getting a Magna... But I've gotta say that particular one looks absolutely sexy! It looks like it just rolled off the factory floor! The previous owner must have looked after it like a new born baby, especially considering it has 150,000 odd km's on the clock.

Might even be worth your time doing an engine conversation later on down the track when you can afford to insure a turbocharged car. Would make for an excellent sleeper/cruiser.

SupremeMoFo

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Evan
Drive
MY01 Magna Sports
Cheers guys!
Brocky - thanks for the thought but I'm not meant to spend any money on it for a while, otherwise it'd already have a new stereo! hehe. Cheers for the mention of it though, Whiteline do a full range of Magna stuff so can just get one of their strut braces.

Kris - there's plenty of power to be had from the 6G74 without turbos.
Full air intake, exhaust and tune on better fuel is closer to 190kW @ flywheel.
JDM DOHC upper end from a Debonair raises compression from 9 to 10:1. 191kW out of the box.
Several on Aussiemagna.com have had cams adjusted or reground too.
And there are LSDs available.

At the end of the day though it's a Magna and I want it for its touring capabilities rather than outright performance. It has a decent chassis and is controllable with the power it has, it's a pretty sweet thing to drive so I'm really happy with it!
ohh ohh, now I'm keen on something!

Can you please drive at 2000rpm in all 5 gears and tell me the speed you travel at in each gear?
Hehe thought you might be interested.
Off the top of my head, 2000rpm in 5th is almost exactly 80km/h. I'll check the rest tonight when I go to work.

From the manual, the ratios are:
1st - 3.333
2nd - 2.105
3rd - 1.407
4th - 1.031
5th - 0.804
Final drive - 3.736
The gearbox for the 3.0l (6G72) manual is the same, bar a 3.583 first gear.

frozen

1 AYC Bar
Lifetime Member
First Name
Josh
Drive
1990 Mitsubishi GTO
Formerly: 1996 Galant VR-4
im 19, insurance for me is pretty bad :p also i've just come out of a 6 month suspension in january (got the car in feb) so they didnt like me much. 1250/yr with almost 4 grand excess (free if im not at fault obviously, and i trust my driving... hence why i dont mind)

SupremeMoFo

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Evan
Drive
MY01 Magna Sports

Is the trans code F5M51?
No probs. No idea what the trans code is where can I check?

It does 80km/h at 2000rpm in 5th, 61 in 4th and 45 in 3rd. Couldn't be bothered checking 1st and 2nd I was in a hurry :ROFLMAO: Tyres are 215/60R16s.

bradc

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Brad
Drive
you don't need to worry about the rest of the speeds, I can calculate that. I just didn't think you would have the ratio's handy.

The trans code should be on the firewall on a metal plate

G

Unregistered
you don't need to worry about the rest of the speeds, I can calculate that. I just didn't think you would have the ratio's handy.

The trans code should be on the firewall on a metal plate

6G7 Manual Trans = F5M51

Was used on Magna V6's from 96 onwards, has slightly different ratios between the 3.0L and 3.5L

bradc

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Brad
Drive
Leigh - do you have all the final drive options and 5th ratio's available?

SupremeMoFo

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Evan
Drive
MY01 Magna Sports
Brad - my manual says that the only difference between the 6G72 gearbox and the 6G74 gearbox is that they have a 3.583 and 3.333 first gear respectively. The TJ was the last Magna where the 6G72 was still available.

Tom

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Tom
Drive
New: 2006 BMW 335i M-Sport | Old: 2000 Galant VR4, MY04 STI WRX, 2009 Audi A4 2.7tdi
Looks pretty tidy mate!

2000VR-4

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Jason
Drive
1988 Magna (Daily) 1975 GC Galant hardtop (W/End car) 1972 GS Galant hardtop, 1973 Galant GTO X-II, 1978 Galant (Scorpion) hardtop
Well, my Legnum dreams were put paid to by insurance realities. Same also put paid to an E34 BMW 540i, gen2 Legacy GT, etc, etc

So, here she is!

03062008037a.jpg

03062008036a.jpg

IMGP4150a.jpg

It's a MY01 TJ Magna Sports, manual (as you can see from the cluster), lowered, freer-flowing pipe into factory muffler with welded-on tip (which needs to go!), JVC h/u and otherwise stock. The colour is Sable black and I hope it never has to see a body shop because it's black with metallic green flake clearcoat.

It's pretty close to a Galant, really...

Looks a bit like my car............ wanna race,,,,,,,,,,, Galant close lmfao

2000VR-4

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Jason
Drive
1988 Magna (Daily) 1975 GC Galant hardtop (W/End car) 1972 GS Galant hardtop, 1973 Galant GTO X-II, 1978 Galant (Scorpion) hardtop
I'm not usually into Magna's and I could name a lot of cars I'd buy before even thinking of getting a Magna... But I've gotta say that particular one looks absolutely sexy! It looks like it just rolled off the factory floor! The previous owner must have looked after it like a new born baby, especially considering it has 150,000 odd km's on the clock.

Might even be worth your time doing an engine conversation later on down the track when you can afford to insure a turbocharged car. Would make for an excellent sleeper/cruiser.

Yeah more useless power over the fronts............ theres a plan

G

Unregistered
Yeah more useless power over the fronts............ theres a plan

So you're saying FWD cars aren't worth modding because it's just "useless power" that they can't get to the ground? That's the typical closed mindedness that I'd expect from a HSV forum, not here. Just because you don't like them doesn't mean that they're not viable to mod.

Sure it isn't going to be as optimal as an AWD car, but I bet I could name a fair few FWD based vehicles that would leave you holding your ding dong at the lights.

Top Bottom