What Is the Leak

illuzian

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Ant
Drive
98 F/L Legnum VR4
Hi Guys,

With the photo attached I have various leaks(circled in red) which I'm assuming is Transmission fluid however circled in blue is a reddish colored leak which is closer to the wheel.. just a splotch but not sure what it is.

Anyone have any idea what it is?
attachment.php

Attachments

• LEAKS.jpg
    LEAKS.jpg
    101.8 KB · Views: 129

illuzian

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Ant
Drive
98 F/L Legnum VR4
Hmmm more and more suspect checked the levels - ATF definitely low. Coolant overflow indicates low however radiator is full so not too worried.

Engine oil seems overfilled... I'm assuming the indicator is the second notch on the dipstick(no indented marks) and its well up to the top of the twist on the stick.

I'm pretty newb at this should I be worried... It's still under statutory warranty which should be okay.

naughtika

OzVR4 Stalker
First Name
Christian
Drive
'96 Galant VR4, '17 MB A180, '25 Macan GTS
if its brake fluid.. check your reservoir and match the color.. also the level..

and the other leak (circled in red) smell it.. if it smells awful its your tranny oil.. if it smells like normal motor oil then its your rear main seal going..

bradc

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Brad
Drive
Facelift Manual 400hp VR-4 Legnum
Hard to tell from the pic. Does it feel like normal oil when you rub your fingers together?

illuzian

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Ant
Drive
98 F/L Legnum VR4
Will check the above
Just ran diagnostic on the car -
ABS Code 41 and 31
AYC Code 14

And Neutral Just Flashes...

illuzian

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Ant
Drive
98 F/L Legnum VR4
Feels like normal oil, actually think its also transmission fluid compared it with one of the darker spots before it soaked into the cardboard and its the same color.

I'll see if Freo Auto Imports actually fixes the car this time around... clearly its Trans oil and clearly they didn't fix it when RAC inspected it, might get my dudes at Automasters to check it out beforehand though.

So pissed off atm.

whiteleg

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Matt
Drive
98 Legnum
Trans fluid for sure, I can tell the location from how your car is positioned. The reason some fluid is on the right is that it runs out the peep hole of the trans runs along the box and then drops down. Open your viewing area and have a look inside feel with your finger you will find fluid I would guess.

G

Unregistered
If the splotch near the wheel is red it may be the power steering rack have a look at the boots around the ends of the steering rack if they are wet and appear to have a drip forming it would be the culprit.

illuzian

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Ant
Drive
98 F/L Legnum VR4
Mmm but there is no short long just flashing :s

dimi_108

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Dimi
Drive
NSX/Magna/M5
It's 100% ATF oil. Looks like your torque converter seal is gone.
Take a look under the car, spray degreaser to clean all the muck off, spray with a hose then monitor the leaks over a course of a day or two. Pin-point exactly where the leaks are coming from and and take some photos for us.
My money is on a busted torque converter seal.

bradc

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Brad
Drive
Facelift Manual 400hp VR-4 Legnum
On some cars the N flashes when you do the diagnostic, nothing to worry about there. If the N flashes while driving however you've got problems.

I agree with Dimi, you're likely to have a leaking torque converter seal.

illuzian

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Ant
Drive
98 F/L Legnum VR4
Okay thanks guys I'll give Freo Auto a go at getting it sorted hopefully they will sort it within the statutory warranty period.

illuzian

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Ant
Drive
98 F/L Legnum VR4
Got an Auto spec to have a look at the car, its definitely a torque converter seal, going to get them to fix it + fit an oil cooler.

The downside is that I won't have my car for about 2 weeks as they are flat out at the moment... and that makes me a saaaad panda.

Driving NA is so lame compared to turbo sigh.

Top Bottom