what to look when buying, legnum

bratwurst_boy

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
daniel
Drive
98 legnum type s, jzza70 supra
hey guys,
i'm currently looking at buying a 98 legnum vr4, just want to know what to look for when inspecting and test driving. it was imported in nov last year, has leather interior, and 12****km's on the clock, does have a damaged bumper put don't know how much as yet. any info about what to look out for would be great.

heres a pic as well

dan

f_3204927m_03b3a64.jpg

leebutts

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Lee
Drive
2001 Golf GTI
Cool looking car - haven't seen colour coded headlights/fog lights like that on a white one before, only on Super VR-4s.

12,000 sound very low for a 98 - check for under body rust, ticking from the engine (sign that it needs an oil change/flush), noises from the rear diff when cornering hard.

Is it an auto? If so check for leaks from the gear box as a few members have had seals fail which can cost a bit to fix.

Also check out the buyers guide at clubvr4.com and do some searches/browsing through our forum

cheers

Lee

bradc

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Brad
Drive
Facelift Manual 400hp VR-4 Legnum
he meant 120,000km, check the number of *** again :)

The car looks ok, I like the white lights, they look really good :D

Lee pointed out the important things. Is it black leather or tan? If it is black then jump on it! Also if it is a manual, it is a rare spec and you should jump on it.

SiliconAngel

1 AYC Bar
First Name
SA, Trevor
Drive
'99 Legnum VR4 Black MT
LOL Lee don't feel bad, I first read 12k, then did a double-take and realised it was 120 ;)

Dan define 'damaged bumper'. I pulled my bumper off over the weekend for sanding, glassing and a respray 'cause it's cracked and discovered accident damage behind it. Nothing major but still good to know what to look out for...

Biggest common issues are underbody rust, torque transfer seal on the auto transmissions, and AYC pumps and pressure switches. Lubricants always need a complete change too, so if you buy it make that the first thing you do!

bratwurst_boy

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
daniel
Drive
thanks guys, the car is actually $12k as well, its auto, tan interior and type s whatever that means. i don't know about the damage just yet, i've called the person and they didn't answer. there does appear to some scuff marks on the bottom of the bumper under the fog lights. thanks for the link lee i'll have a look right now.

cheers

bradc

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Brad
Drive
Facelift Manual 400hp VR-4 Legnum
yeah I can see those scuff marks as well, hopefully thats all.

$12k is a good price

G

Unregistered
In relation to the underbody rust, i'd ask the seller exactly where from Japan the car was purchased.
Usually anything from the north half (Nagoya and above) is likely to have been driven in the snow and would have a higher chance of rust.

SiliconAngel

1 AYC Bar
First Name
SA, Trevor
Drive
'99 Legnum VR4 Black MT
Haha you're talking about an informal website that becomes a car club that becomes an insurance company and on-road support network... Little ambitious at this stage don't you think, Steve? ;)

SiliconAngel

1 AYC Bar
First Name
SA, Trevor
Drive
'99 Legnum VR4 Black MT
LOL just ribbin' you. Its a good idea for those who want an excuse for a drive and a look at some VR4's... and what member on here WOULDN'T??!

bratwurst_boy

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
daniel
Drive
ok well it looks like i'm one step closer to owning this legnum, just went to the bank today to get a loan and should be approved on monday, in which case i should be able to go and inspect and test drive and hopefully buy it on tuesday or wednesday. :D

G

Unregistered
nice,

let us know how you go.

Also, make sure you check all the electrics when you test drive, and if you can, drive into an underground carpark and turn on the headlights, check to see all the dashlights that come up at night are all working etc.

SiliconAngel

1 AYC Bar
First Name
SA, Trevor
Drive
'99 Legnum VR4 Black MT
Being a Type S it should have the high-vis dash, so the whole thing should light up as soon as you turn the ignition :)

Top Bottom