What's the best brand of high flow cat?

leebutts

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Lee
Drive
2001 Golf GTI
Hi,

I'm in the market for a good 3" high flow catalytic converter. Jungle recommended CatCo however the supplier is out of stock at the moment.

Does anyone have any experiences with other barnds? e.g. metalCat, magnaflow.

There's also the myriad of cheap 3" high flow cats on Ebay but I presume you get what you pay for :)

cheers

Lee

naughtika

OzVR4 Stalker
First Name
Christian
Drive
'96 Galant VR4, '17 MB A180, '25 Macan GTS
I recommend Christian's High Flow Cat.. where you don't get the honeycomb inside.. and guess what.. it's see through as well!!

G

Unregistered
I've heard heaps of good things about Metalcat... Then again, you could always keep the standard one and just gut it? :D

Hotwire

1 AYC Bar
Premium Member
First Name
Lee
Drive
97 COTY
Has anyone actually got a stained rear bar from not having the catalytic converter though? Also my other concern is, without the cat - the Carcinogenic fumes produced by unleaded fuels could harm my wife/child if they are standing near the car.... does anyone have some links to FIRM evidence on this stuff?

jungle

3 AYC Bars
Lifetime Member
First Name
Simon
Drive
1 PFL & 1 FL Legnum
I not going to dish other brands but i have a mate who is a tuner and had suffered a few probs with the fron t of the metal cat closing up, admittedly it wasn't a great deal, but it all contributes to restriction.

My catco cat handled running on 4 cylinders (lost 2 due elelctrical fault) and the subsequent raw fuel for around 15km's of highway driving. I pulled it off and it had only very slightly started to close up. Pretty good result. (this is on my Sil80- so it cops a flogging-Not a Legnum)

that said, one thing to be aware of is the metals cats have 4 & 5 inch bodies, so you guys with low-ish hanging exhausts may have clearance problems.....i have a "hi flow" cat now in the Leggy, due to a 5 inch will hang too low for my driveway.

G

Unregistered
i love the idea of the all flow, they dont have to show graghs showing airflow the product just says it all.lol

leebutts

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Lee
Drive
2001 Golf GTI
I've gone for a 3" Magnaflow metal core for $220. Will let you guys know how it goes :)

cheers

Lee

Outlanded

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Brent
Drive
97 Legnum VR-4
haha, hate to get tested by the EPA with that though.... you would get a nice dirty fine... a mate of mine in melb has a sub 9sec 32 gtr and he got epa'ed... wasnt nice ..

BuzzPuppy

OZVR4 Ambassador
Lifetime Member
First Name
Gavin
Drive
レグナム Super VR-4
The "all flow" rocks. I suppose you'd find it @ Autobarn/SuperCheap alongside the Autotechnica blue bulbs and stuff. They should just have a category that says "for show use only" :)

G

Unregistered
+1 for the Catco. I've just had a 3in high-flow installed as part of a 3in cat-back system, and I also had a Catco on my previous car as well. I'd definitely recommend it as part of an 'exhaust solution'.

Hi-Tech Mufflers here in Sydney has them on the shelf.

First Name
ivan
Drive
Prado...
There are several point to consider when it comes to the various types of high flow cats; internal construction, material as well as as the cell per sq.inch that affects flow rate. Firstly is the construcion, honeycomb OEM style or high flow spiral matrix as in the photo below. secondly, material used, ceramic or metal matrix, metal being much more stable and NOT melt down. Lastly is the flow rate, 300 to 200cpi would be ideal, that is effective and yet flows well. (JUST me 2 cents worth's opinion)

We have stocks of Stainless Steel high flow cats with euro II rating that has metal matrix inside 200cpi, not ceramic internals.

PM me if you are interested. cheers, ivan

SiliconAngel

1 AYC Bar
First Name
SA, Trevor
Drive
'99 Legnum VR4 Black MT
You've got my interest Ivan...

You know what would be good? If you could find a flow rate comparison between different brands...

bradc

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Brad
Drive
Facelift Manual 400hp VR-4 Legnum
Just use two stock cats :)

Have the downpipes join for the O2 sensor, then split for two seperate cats, then keep the systems seperate the rest of the way down the car to end in two mufflers that are good at well... muffling :)

Top Bottom