What's the best brand of high flow cat?

naughtika

OzVR4 Stalker
First Name
Christian
Drive
'96 Galant VR4, '17 MB A180, '25 Macan GTS
Wes, depends on how much you're getting it for.. if you're getting it for $300, might as well look elsewhere..

i got mine for $100.. but then again I was just lucky to get it from SAU.. was brand new, seller was gonna put it in his Skyline but went the other way..

chrisssss

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
krsta
Drive
99' s2 manual legnum vr4
i just gutted mine only prob is is that i am constantly cleaning my exhaust tip every few days =p

frozen

1 AYC Bar
Lifetime Member
First Name
Josh
Drive
1990 Mitsubishi GTO
Formerly: 1996 Galant VR-4
notice a big change in power from the gutted cat? also would there be a noticable difference between eg. a metal cat and the 'all flow' ??

chrisssss

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
krsta
Drive
99' s2 manual legnum vr4
i basically gutted mine because didn't want to blow more money on a cat because my exhaust cost 1350 with out a friggen cat, but yeah there is response difference that is for sure but weather its power proven i don't know, since then i have gone full hard piping kit aluminum with a r33 gtr front mount, and i never expected such a difference in power and pick up =p even though the front mount is in such great nik

king_panther

Gettin' tanked
First Name
Brad
Drive
2012 VW Caddy 1.6TDI 7-Speed DSG. Still crappy DSG.....
Stupid question regarding catalysers;

There is no difference whether you run a manual or automatic when choosing a catalytic converter correct?

I'm seeing some that have been listed for being for manual transmissions only :confused:

bradc

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Brad
Drive
Facelift Manual 400hp VR-4 Legnum
Not on a VR-4 at least. I guess on some cars designs potentially one gearbox could get in the way of the cat?

chrisssss

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
krsta
Drive
99' s2 manual legnum vr4
Hey Frozen what size outlets are on the Greddy cooler you have?, would love to see what response i get from a proper core, even thou the R33 GTR core is doing well but as i said not in the best shape

frozen

1 AYC Bar
Lifetime Member
First Name
Josh
Drive
1990 Mitsubishi GTO
Formerly: 1996 Galant VR-4
Im not sure to be honest. I'd guess 2.5"? Maybe 3"? or somewhere in between.. ill have a look and let you know. Keep in mind it cost like $1000 just for the cooler and a pipe either side...

chrisssss

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
krsta
Drive
99' s2 manual legnum vr4
my hard piping is all set up used the gtr cooler as a dummy fit still runs better than standard thats for sure

naughtika

OzVR4 Stalker
First Name
Christian
Drive
'96 Galant VR4, '17 MB A180, '25 Macan GTS
I've got that oval shape magna flow.. from what I was told of, it was good for up to 250kw..

Slinz

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Tom
Drive
Grubby Nissan
i basically gutted mine because didn't want to blow more money on a cat because my exhaust cost 1350 with out a friggen cat, but yeah there is response difference that is for sure but weather its power proven i don't know, since then i have gone full hard piping kit aluminum with a r33 gtr front mount, and i never expected such a difference in power and pick up =p even though the front mount is in such great nik

Never done it before.. Is it as simple as chopping out the cat, getting something that will fit in one end and smashing it in there until a big mess pops out the other side?

tommy86

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Tom
Drive
Really fast Magna wagon thingy
Yes just pull the cat out and bash the crap out of the guts with a pry bar or similar untill you have a straight through pipe, wear a dust mask though as the dust from the cat is carcinogenic. depending on your exhaust it should just nuts and bolts, no cutting.

Slinz

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Tom
Drive
Grubby Nissan
Yes just pull the cat out and bash the crap out of the guts with a pry bar or similar untill you have a straight through pipe, wear a dust mask though as the dust from the cat is carcinogenic. depending on your exhaust it should just nuts and bolts, no cutting.

Awesome, might give this a go on the weekend then! Pretty sure the Jap owner put in a cat-back system but the cat looks stock to me. Thanks.

unclepaulie

hellatemplate ;)
Lifetime Member
First Name
Paul
Drive
hairdresser spec lancer coupe
if you do ever decide to run a broomstick cat, dont mention it here ;)

Top Bottom