Anyone done a manual conversion on 2000+ model?

gilly

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Simon
Drive
2000 Legnum VR4 Type S
After my auto to manual conversion the speedo does not work. I have asked around but havent had much luck. I have found out that in the mid 2000 model (I have a late 2000), they changed the way the speedo sensor is hooked up. So I need someone who has done a conversion on a mid 2000+ vr4 to tell me how to get the speedo working.

This is a 2000 Type S VR4 using a 1996 Manual Gearbox and the auto dash cluster.
We put the ECU from the manual in as well (7202 I think? the good one anyway!).

Cheers.

Jonson

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Jon
Drive
MY15 X MR
Have you tried using the other cluster? I could get an auto electrician mate to have a looksee?

G

Unregistered
Using the other cluster (which would also be a non-high vis cluster) would then mean the incorrect kms are showing on the vehicle, as the km's are associated with the instrument cluster, and either can't be changed/altered or is a bitch to do so...???

gilly

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Simon
Drive
2000 Legnum VR4 Type S
The spare cluster that came out the 96 leggie is actually a high vis. And it has 130000 kms on it which is almost double what my car really has so I dont really want to put that in.
Having said that, if that is all the problem is, then I will need to track down a high vis manual cluster with about 72,000kms on it.
I have however been told by people who have done the conversion that changing the cluster is not a requirement.

And Jonson if your auto-elec mate wouldnt mind having a look that would be awesome.
Where does he live? (maybe pm me?)

mills_88

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Matt
Drive
Toyota Supra RZ - The Project
Holden Commodore SS VF Series 2 - The Daily
This speedo not working is a common problem with later model evo's. Possibly for the same reason, might be worth asking on evooz or something for ideas.

lathiat

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Trent Lloyd
Drive
97 Legnum (Manual)
They did the same thing on the Magna's.. changed from an analogue to digital signal or something.

One of the Magna guys solved this, not sure how, I could ask him.

Macca

Showing some Leg.
First Name
Craig 'Macca' Mclean
Drive
2000 Mitsubishi Legnum Type S
I think you can get the Km's on the instrument cluster changed by a workshop with the right gear if you can give them a reason to do it. But don't quote me on it.

gilly

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Simon
Drive
2000 Legnum VR4 Type S
This speedo not working is a common problem with later model evo's. Possibly for the same reason, might be worth asking on evooz or something for ideas.
Thanks will get onto that

They did the same thing on the Magna's.. changed from an analogue to digital signal or something.

One of the Magna guys solved this, not sure how, I could ask him.

If you could that would be awesome!

AKKO

2 AYC Bars
Lifetime Member
First Name
Chris
Drive
1998 Galant VR4 Type-V (Facelift)
I have a spare hi-vis cluster handy for a manual Legnum with AYC, PM if interested.

Has only marginally higher kms from memory and again is for a model with AYC.
Comes with the surround and dimmer control if needed.

/Edit: 101913kms and pics attached below.

Jonson

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Jon
Drive
MY15 X MR
Not a big deal with the high K's. Take it to gauge works on Port rd and they can adjust it back, you just have to fill out a form that they provide.
Late model Lancers and SOME Evo's have faulty circuit boards on the rear of the cluster, this isn't the reason why yours isnt working.

I would dare say that between the build dates they have changed the input signal to the cluster OR it could be as simple as you need a manual cluster, as your now using a manual speedo drive that *could* ve sending a different type of signal.

G

Unregistered
Where's fieldy107 ?? he's just finished his manual conversion, maybe ask him if he's had any problems with the dash?

fieldy107

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Chris
Drive
Galant VR4
He already asked me, my mechanics had no issue with the dash, but mine is only a 1999 model

smitty

Sm'arter than the aver'age bear...!
First Name
Alex
Drive
98 FL Galant Type S Manual, FG XR6, VY Acclaim, MQ Triton GLS
I had no issue with mine either, plus the manual and auto speed sensors are interchangeable.

lathiat

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Trent Lloyd
Drive
97 Legnum (Manual)
OK, with the Magnas in the Automatic, late models.. the speed sensor came directly from the ECU to the dash.. calculated from one of the other auto output shaft sensors.

On the manuals, there was a speedo gear.. so what he did was to cut the wire going to the ecu, re-route it to the speedo gear on the manual gearbox, and had to apply power to said speedo gear.

So see if that is the case for you, is there a speedo drive gear on the manual that isn't on the auto?

smitty

Sm'arter than the aver'age bear...!
First Name
Alex
Drive
98 FL Galant Type S Manual, FG XR6, VY Acclaim, MQ Triton GLS
Both manual an auto speed sensors I have have drive gears, both are from 98 model vr4s

AKKO

2 AYC Bars
Lifetime Member
First Name
Chris
Drive
1998 Galant VR4 Type-V (Facelift)
I have a spare hi-vis cluster handy for a manual Legnum with AYC, PM if interested.

Has only marginally higher kms from memory and again is for a model with AYC.
Comes with the surround and dimmer control if needed.

/Edit: 101913kms and pics attached below.

So when I purchased this via the yahoo action I thought there was something dodgey about the photos. Looked too me as if the unit was from am auto even though the ad said manual etc.

Well I finally decided to open up the box this arvo since there's been a bit of interest and it seems as though the seller may have not known what they had.. upon removing the face of the unit it would appear to be a hi-vis unit from a super, the ones with the purple glow! It's been modified slightly to hide the auto shift pattern which is a potential bonus, will try test fitting it this arvo into the trigger galant to confirm it works and see how it looks!

Photos showing the unit illuminated to follow! Hmmm to sell or keep, either way the price just went up fellas haha

For those that haven't seen one before see below:

Top Bottom