anyone done their timing belt??

godzilla

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Trevor
Drive
1/19 2002 FL Legnum Type 'S' Manual in Black with Suede Recaro's!
Man thats expensive for aftermarket....
They are NZ$43 which is only about a AUD$1.75 :)ROFLMAO:)
Mitsi here has quoted me $77

godzilla

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Trevor
Drive
Ok, just picked up my car from Mitsubishi. Had the full major service done. This is what was done..
Replaced timing belt, alt belt, ac & alt belt(i supplied the timing belt)
All pulley's & tensioners replaced( i supplied the pulleys & tensioner)
Water pump replacement (i supplied the pump)
Full coolant flush & replacement(obviously)
Spark plugs & leads replaced (i supplied the parts)
Change engine oil & filter (i supplied both)
Tranny flush and replenished with SPIII
Transfer case fluid replaced
Front & Rear diff fluid replaced with (on the docket it shows them using Castrol VMX-M Gear Oil & Castrol LSX 90 Gear Oil so i dont know where that went)
Topped up brake & PS fluid
Also done a general inspection on the car with the recommendation that the top radiator hose should be replaced as it is a little soft and is starting to expand, which i knew. And found a small rust hole in my exhaust where the pipe joins the muffler. Was also going to get the AYC fluid changed but told it was just as clean as a brand new Evo's so he didn't recommend spending another nearly $200
All up $1460 inc
Pretty happy, car feels very nice now and will also sleep a bit better knowing all of that is done for at least the next 50000k:bigsmile:

SiliconAngel

1 AYC Bar
First Name
SA, Trevor
Drive
'99 Legnum VR4 Black MT
Sounds good Trev, glad you're happy with their service. Personally I would have done the AYC fluid, just cause it's a certain colour doesn't guarantee it's doing its job properly (although admittedly it probably is). Not sure why they would have charged $200 to do it, either - if they have a MUT-II diagnostic computer (which I'm sure they do) it's a very straight-forward job and doesn't even use that much ATF-SPIII...

Was that $1460 including parts, or just for their service time?

godzilla

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Trevor
Drive
I supplied the t/belt, tensioner, idler pulley, tensioner pulley, plugs, leads, oil filter & oil. They supplied the other belts and all other fluids.
Apparently they couldn't get the MUTT III to comunicate either so that was one reason. He assured me in his opinion the fluid was perfect, but i do see your point. I still want to get it done. Any thoughts Trev on what the other gear fluid i listed might have been put?

SiliconAngel

1 AYC Bar
First Name
SA, Trevor
Drive
'99 Legnum VR4 Black MT
The AYC diff takes 75W90 GL5 gear oil (the hydraulic chamber takes ATF SPIII, but the diff gear chamber takes the gear oil. There are three separate chambers in an AYC diff).

The front diff also takes 75W90 GL5 gear oil. This is changed in the transfer case though - were there separate sections for front diff and transfer case on the invoice? 'Cause that's quite confusing...

Did they just top up your brake fluid, or fully bleed it? Topping it up is a total waste of time, it should be completely replaced. Its only $15 to $20 a litre for the fluid anyway.

godzilla

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Trevor
Drive
Yeah, it says "Replaced Front Transfer Case Oil & Replaced Rear Diff Oil"

godzilla

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Trevor
Drive
$420 for parts from Ralliart NZ
$80 for oil & Filter
$170 for plugs & leads
$1460 for the rest of the parts & labor from the Mitsubishi dealership i took it to.

godzilla

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Trevor
Drive
Ok, there is no mention of "front diff" just "transfer case". I also remember him telling me that....
Seems to have made a nice & noticeable difference to the way the car drives. I haven't noticed a diff in fuel consumption yet as i have been driving the car a bit harder than what i did before the service (used to baby it all the time)

SiliconAngel

1 AYC Bar
First Name
SA, Trevor
Drive
'99 Legnum VR4 Black MT
I understand your confusion Chris, but how would that work when autos have ATF-SPIII and manuals take 75W90 GL4?

Top Bottom