anyone done their timing belt??

SiliconAngel

1 AYC Bar
First Name
SA, Trevor
Drive
'99 Legnum VR4 Black MT
He works for himself. He is got a workshop up in Arundel. I think i got it a bit cheaper becouse i know him for about 2 years. It took him couple hours to do the job and he didnt seems to have any trouble at all.
Imagine, an honest mechanic! The mind boggles...

Seriously, once you're familiar with the car the timing belt really isn't a big job. Its just the lack of familiarity that's the kicker - as soon as you mention 'Jap import' everyone wants to screw you because:

A) They believe you'll have difficulty finding anyone who will want to do it and
B) They think you'll be willing to pay whatever it takes to keep your 'rare import' that's impossible to get parts for on the road

Madhav

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Madhav
Drive
96 S2 RZ Supra with 500whp
I have no doubt mate, I'd attempt it myself except the only problem for me is that I have no tools and no garage either!!

There's gotto be a few people around that feel confident and familiar with our cars who aren't too dishonest!!

G

Unregistered
Hi guys,
just thought i'd give you a quick update.
my Bf spent a bit of time on camskill purchasing parts for my timing belt etc.
in total, incl of shipping, it came to around $400 or so.
I'm pretty happy with that and thanks to CONNOR for the referral!

=]

king_panther

Gettin' tanked
First Name
Brad
Drive
2012 VW Caddy 1.6TDI 7-Speed DSG. Still crappy DSG.....
Hi guys,
just thought i'd give you a quick update.
my Bf spent a bit of time on camskill purchasing parts for my timing belt etc.
in total, incl of shipping, it came to around $400 or so.
I'm pretty happy with that and thanks to CONNOR for the referral!

=]

No personal offence intended, but why did you purchase the timing belt from Camskill in the UK for ?

MEEK here in NSW can get them in. They use a Dayco timing belt. I bought an OEM kit from EBay before that & it didn't cost anything near that at all ?

Sorry I'm late to this thread....

G

Unregistered
No personal offence intended, but why did you purchase the timing belt from Camskill in the UK for ?

MEEK here in NSW can get them in. They use a Dayco timing belt. I bought an OEM kit from EBay before that & it didn't cost anything near that at all ?

Sorry I'm late to this thread....

No offence taken, but the reason why is because for around $450 in parts, i got a timing belt, power steering belt, alternator belt, Hydraulic tensioner(OEM), Idler pulley, idler tensioner and a water pump...:)

I did price up parts around here, and found that this was quite a decent figure... Seeing as mitsubishi wanted almost triple the amount for the above mentioned..

As per the ebay kit, i could find nothing at all for the 6a13tt, only stuff for the 6a12?... and i was not willing to do just the belt, rather do the idlers and tensioners as well, as many people told me if i dont it can come back to bite me in the arse later on..

=]
Shambam

G

Unregistered
just so everyone knows......

i got:
- timing belt
- power steering belt
- alternator belt
- hydraulic tensioner (OEM)
- tensioner pulley
- idler pulley
& water pump

all for around $400 plus shipping from the UK.
really happy with that.

=]

king_panther

Gettin' tanked
First Name
Brad
Drive
Do I get any kudos on here because I've had my timing belt & water pump done TWICE? :)

G

Unregistered
kudos

Do I get any kudos on here because I've had my timing belt & water pump done TWICE? :)
gives KP a trillion KUDOS for having done his timing belt and water pump twice and having the most K's on a car that's still alive! =P

king_panther

Gettin' tanked
First Name
Brad
Drive
gives KP a trillion KUDOS for having done his timing belt and water pump twice and having the most K's on a car that's still alive! =P

Cheers ;)
Though careful with the k's/alive remark. I'm a long way from home so don't want to get jinxed !! :bigsmile:

SiliconAngel

1 AYC Bar
First Name
SA, Trevor
Drive
'99 Legnum VR4 Black MT
just so everyone knows......

i got:
the timing belt ALONE for like $300-$400 dollars.
Sham, it might just be me but reading that it suggests that you're saying just the timing belt was 3-$400... Were you trying to say I didn't just get the timing belt for $400 - I got a whole lot of other stuff as well, including: ... ?

G

Unregistered
Sham, it might just be me but reading that it suggests that you're saying just the timing belt was 3-$400... Were you trying to say I didn't just get the timing belt for $400 - I got a whole lot of other stuff as well, including: ... ?

yeah sorry.....
typo.
i got everything listed for around $400 plus shipping from the UK.
and i'm glad to say, that after a hard days work by my bf and his mate, it is all done and she purring like a kitten!
so happy.
can't wait for the cruise on the 28th, should be sweet.

=]

godzilla

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Trevor
Drive
1/19 2002 FL Legnum Type 'S' Manual in Black with Suede Recaro's!
I bought pretty much all that i needed for my service from Bill @ Ralliart NZ but unfortunatley he was unable to supply me the Idler Pulley as he had no stock for a couple of weeks. Now i called Mitsi here and there is only 1 in the country:eek: My car is booked in for this Thursday. Two questions 1, Can this part be sourced aftermarket (MD179597) ? 2, How crucial is this part for the timing belt replacement?

G

Unregistered
You would be best to change it just in case .It's not worth the risk leaving it out

G

Unregistered
It seems to be the water pump that fails more than these bearings but most people replace them all and sometimes leave the pump which often fails shortly after the cam belt is done. It happened to mine last year as only the belt had been changed and none of the pulleys. I did the whole lot so should be all good until the belt is due again

godzilla

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Trevor
Drive
1/19 2002 FL Legnum Type 'S' Manual in Black with Suede Recaro's!
Have you seen one aftermarket?
Or maybe there has to be another Mitsi part number as it seems odd that iff our 6A13 is so close to the NA Galant version that they would have only 1 in AUS?

G

Unregistered
I'm sure you can get a blueprint part in the UK and they are used on other Galants.

Top Bottom