anyone done their timing belt??

G

Unregistered
Hey guys,

I'm looking to do my timing belt and I'm just wondering if anyone has already done it and how they've done it?
Ie what's the cheapest most effective way? Buying a kit? Buying parts separately?

Thanks.
=]

VR4Rocket

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Kevin
Drive
Was a Ralliart Colt, was a 1997 Toyota Aristo was a 1996 Legnum..Now an XR5 Turbo
I am doing mine on Monday.......I have bought a few individual parts but also getting some supplied by the place I am going to ..Carmen Imports

You car washing this Thursday?

G

Unregistered
Haven't been on the site in a while so I'm not too up-to-date with the latest meets etc?
Is it in Queenslands threads??

re: timing belt.
How much did it cost you and where is Carmen Imports??

=]

VR4Rocket

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Kevin
Drive
Was a Ralliart Colt, was a 1997 Toyota Aristo was a 1996 Legnum..Now an XR5 Turbo
Ha ha ..next Monday for my belt BUT they have estimated around the $1600 mark. They are on the Northside near Strathpine.

Yes it is in the QLD section...for this Thursday

G

Unregistered
Im in the middle of doing the $&%#% timing belt now.... along with a new clutch a waterpump and a replacing all the bearings in the gearbox!!!!!

Not a happy camper at the moment!!!! The WHOLE front end is off my car :(

G

Unregistered
Yeah I'm looking to do my clutch too!
How are you going about the timing belt? and what's it costing you??

Cheers.

G

Unregistered
I dont even want to think of final costing..... The timing belt was $246 to my door.... i think... ha ha i've lost track!

Not sure on costs to replace cos im getting heaps of other stuff done too. :(
Lucky I have a friend who is a mechanic..... I dont think he will want to touch another Galant ever again. He hates it!

Nothing has gone right/easy for him!

G

Unregistered
LOL.

I have a mechanic friend also who does my work for me.
It's just the parts I'm trying to get as cheap as possible.
I came so close to selling my baby based on the fact that it's purely so freaking expensive to maintain. BUT, i didn't. I'm doing to press on and endure it. =P

Where did you get your timing belt parts from? Did you buy a kit?

=]

G

Unregistered
I got it through Amcap..... A friend has an account there...
A friend at Mitsubish quoted pretty much the same price. I think its the going rate.

I bought just the belt for now.

minik1971

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Nigel
Drive
White 1990 BMW 535i was a Black 1998 Legnum FL (written off)
I had mine replaced when I bought the car and it isn't too hard to do. If you have a mechanic friend then it is only likely to take a couple of hours. I had a new belt and the two pulleys replaced, I didn't pay for it but I think it was about $300-350 for the belt and two pulleys ex Japan, and a week or so to get here. I helped the seller put the new belts etc in, it is fairly straight forward apart from the time and minor hassles of removing all the bits to get to it.

NinjAClowN

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Adam
Drive
Vr-4 96 galant
yeah 270 - 300 is the going rate for the timing belt. Ive seen it for 270 somewhere but my mechanic supplied it at 300

G

Unregistered
Anyone have the part #'s handy for all the bits and pieces???

jungle

3 AYC Bars
Lifetime Member
First Name
Simon
Drive
1 PFL & 1 FL Legnum
Hey guys,

I'm looking to do my timing belt and I'm just wondering if anyone has already done it and how they've done it?
Ie what's the cheapest most effective way? Buying a kit? Buying parts separately?

Thanks.
=]

Did mine last week, took me 3 days of muchking around, reasonable straightforward but very fiddly.
I bought all my bit from Ralliart NZ. Chepaer than anyone i could find in Aus or Jap. Very easy to do with, i recommend them highly. Talk to Bill here admin@ralliartnz.co.nz
Tell him what you want, if you're unsure, tell him what you're doing.
I got timing belt, tensioner, the 2 pulley's water pump, alternator and power steering belts.

Although it took me 3 days, i wasn't going very fast as it was te first time i'd pulled any mitsu engine apart- if it was a nissan i'd be done in around 2 ours flat in my sleep. I'd have it done in a day next time.
Become a donation member on www.clubvr4.com and you can then use ALL the guides there, only cost $15aus.

Have fun.

godzilla

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Trevor
Drive
1/19 2002 FL Legnum Type 'S' Manual in Black with Suede Recaro's!
Did mine last week, took me 3 days of muchking around, reasonable straightforward but very fiddly.

:ROFLMAO: 3 days but still straight forward,

So i take it you could probably get a pretty good deal with buying parts from NZ as that's probably the only place our dollar is worth anything. Do you mind if i ask What it set you back including delivery for those parts Simon? They are the exact parts i'll be needing next month for my major service.

jungle

3 AYC Bars
Lifetime Member
First Name
Simon
Drive
1 PFL & 1 FL Legnum
I bought a lot more than just that- full engine recondition as well, too many to list, little over 800aus for the bits you are asking about- go look in the list mate, it's all there.

Like i said i went quite slowly, took pictures so i knew where bits went. I did have some trouble with timing belt, need to make 2 cam locking tools not just 1, i found the front bank like to move a lot- needed a extra pair of hands twice, which i could only get for 30 minutes each day which is why it blew out to 3 days.

Straight forward just fiddly ;)

G

Unregistered

Come on Sham.... You can do better than that.

At 150+ posts, you must have seen the parts list at least once!

lol.
okay.
sorry.
i did say if you had them 'handy' though.... =P

weeaazz

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
james
Drive
legnum
quick question.

my timing belt was apparently replaced in japan at 58,000 and im currently on 93,000.
do you think i should still replace it soon?or should i put that money towards the rest of the BIG service

G

Unregistered
Just for everyone's reference, here's what I've paid recently for a *major* service

Cambelt, tensioner, alternator/air con/power steering belts - $160.57
Water Pump - $59.52
Idler Pulley - $40.53
Front caliper rebuild kits (2) - $79.34
Magnetic sump plug - $7.21
Front pads (standard, to make do) - $28.85
HYDRAULIC TAPPETS (24) - $488.48
Total Cost - $864.50

On top of this was about $150 in freight. Still a hell of a lot cheaper than what I was quoted from anywhere here.

I forgot to get a hydraulic tensioner for the cambelt - there's 2 tensioners? I get a normal pulley type tensioner but there is also a oil-driven tensioner. The advise I got was that the hydraulic tensioner is very unlikely to cause problems before the 2nd cambelt so replacing the other tensioner was fine.

I didn't do this job myself because it looks like a bastard - I can't give an exact price on what it cost me because I had a lot of other stuff done (rebuild brake calipers, replacement of front rotors, camshaft seals, cooling system flush, etc).

Most of these parts were NOT genuine Mitsubishi, but when I was quoted $300 for the belt alone I thought **** that - if the car blows in a few years I'll just buy another one - I've spend probably over 50% of the value of my car in maintenance.

Top Bottom