Apexi SAFC

gorgath

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Irwin
Drive
1997 Legnum RED!!!
Hey all,

Missus asked me what pressie I want for xmas and told her what I want and showed the SAFC and she agreed (Yay!)

So I need some help.

I was browsing on net looking for a SAFCII but it appears the product has been discontinued (I am a type of bloked doesn't know what is going on around the world :banghead:).

Anyhow, it shows that Apexi Neo is the new SAFC but I read it somewhere that Neo does not work properly on Karman which most Mitsubishi and Toyota have. I think some sort of firmware.

So, I need your opinions especially for those who are very familiar on the product and have them.

Thanks heaps!

Peter_D

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Pete
Drive
Cab Colt & Evo 6
That is indeed correct, the NEO's do not work correctly with Karman sensors. A patch has been released but you need to contact APEXI (by phone) get a return number, remove your neo and return it. It will then patched and returned. Good luck getting into contact with them.

G

Unregistered
just use a SAFC II - you can still find brand new ones floating around.

gorgath

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Irwin
Drive
1997 Legnum RED!!!
Hey Pete,

Does your neo have the bug?

Hmm, I think I might off better to get the SAFCII since RHDJapan still have them at sale price.

matchtheclown

Time p33nt
First Name
hugh
Drive
99 VR-4 Type S Man
I may be confused, but why not just get a haltech inteceptor / miniceptor instead?

A SAFC is a stand alone air fuel controller?

You will end up paying what $300 for this, then $300 for a Electronic boost controller right?

You can get haltech's for about $600 and then $150 for the boost solenoid..... then you can really tune.

Can someone clarify my confusion between a SAFC and a piggy back ECU if there is any need?

G

Unregistered
there is no confusion, a piggyback is better than an SAFC but it depends on how extensive you want to tune and progress with the car.

take me for an example...i have no intentions on increasing boost or modifying my car much more than a new set of wheels and a tune to help with fuel so an SAFC is ideal. however if i had plans to increase boost, and modify it then a piggyback ecu (possibly with a stand alone ebc) would be perfect.

matchtheclown

Time p33nt
First Name
hugh
Drive
99 VR-4 Type S Man
Thought that was the case.

For me a piggy back makers sense because what I would like is:
SAFC, EBC and cool shit on my LCD screen (Evoscan) these all add up to over the price of a piggy back easily.

So I guess it depends on what you want to end up doing gorgath.

Peter_D

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Pete
Drive
Cab Colt & Evo 6
Hey Pete,

Does your neo have the bug?

Hmm, I think I might off better to get the SAFCII since RHDJapan still have them at sale price.

All the NEO's had the Karman bug. The new ones (don't know the rev number) should have the new software firmware and therefore should be OK.

Peter_D

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Pete
Drive
Cab Colt & Evo 6
I may be confused, but why not just get a haltech inteceptor / miniceptor instead?

This is the way I'm going. I've got my Interceptor and boost solenoid all I'm waiting for now is the front mount kit. Once that is available I'll get both fitted and then get it tuned.

The NEO will be removed and sold on ebay to some other poor sap.

gorgath

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Irwin
Drive
1997 Legnum RED!!!
as mush as I wanted to go with piggyback to increase performance of my car but I may stay this route (for awhile) as I have no plans on modifying my car to be over 14psi which I totally agree with Stephen.

Thanks Guys! found a SAFCII.

G

Unregistered
I'm running a NEO and $100 MBC. The NEO has been properly tuned and doesn;'t have the3 firmware updgrade. I think the bug is not really as bad as people have made it out to be. My car runs perfect Air Fuels and pumps out 164kw/atw. My car must be the "don't do it this way" as I'm also running a Pod filter. Car runs mints, just chews fuel ;)
I thought u could still buy the SAFC II Select new ? The SAFC II is better because it runs two maps, so u could have a nice economic tune and a more aggressive tune ;)
Heaps of second hand SAFC II's available.

gorgath

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Irwin
Drive
1997 Legnum RED!!!
Hey Guys,

Ok, My SAFC2 is on its way and I should have it within 14days. I've done some research and this raise some questions.

1: Is't compulsory to upgrade the OEM O2 Sensor to Wideband O2 Sensor prior installing the SAFC?
2: If so, where can I get LC-1 Wideband kit to suit our cars (Part number?) or one size fits all?
3: In Sydney, who would be the reputable installer/tuner who has extensive knowledge of this product?

Thanks!

naughtika

OzVR4 Stalker
First Name
Christian
Drive
'96 Galant VR4, '17 MB A180, '25 Macan GTS
Irwin, i suggest you get a different brand/model of wideband kit to replace your o2 sensor.. there was one i was looking at about a year ago which is the same as what Gly got..

from memory.. it is a plug and play and self learning..

G

Unregistered
this may sound like a ridiculous question to everyone.....but what is a safc and exactly what does it do to the car??

G

Unregistered
1) NO

2) its one size fits all, but i don't recommend the innovate LC1, a few people have has issues with theres and the install cant be tricky as it uses multiple earths and is VERY picky with these,

personally i use a PLX SM-AFR easy to setup and no issues with it at all,

you wont need a wideband EGO if your having a pro tune it for you,

3) anyone with a dyno and tuning experience could it, the S-AFC is easy to use.

G

Unregistered
this may sound like a ridiculous question to everyone.....but what is a safc and exactly what does it do to the car??

s-afc,

super-air fuel controller

basically to add or remove fuel from various points in the the fuel map
to fine tune the factory map, for better power

gorgath

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Irwin
Drive
1997 Legnum RED!!!
1) NO

2) its one size fits all, but i don't recommend the innovate LC1, a few people have has issues with theres and the install cant be tricky as it uses multiple earths and is VERY picky with these,

personally i use a PLX SM-AFR easy to setup and no issues with it at all,

you wont need a wideband EGO if your having a pro tune it for you,

3) anyone with a dyno and tuning experience could it, the S-AFC is easy to use.
Thanks Carsten! That saves me $350 then which it goes towards on tuning.

G

Unregistered
s-afc,

super-air fuel controller

basically to add or remove fuel from various points in the the fuel map
to fine tune the factory map, for better power

so combining this with a boost controller may make a difference or a boost controller should take care of any issues?

Hotwire

1 AYC Bar
Premium Member
First Name
Lee
Drive
97 COTY
Ken,

Boost controller will only vary the boost level - The fuel MAP will still be the same. The SAFC varies the volume of air the ECU thinks its seeing, therefore adjusting how much fuel the ECU adds to the engine.

Basically, if you had "X" air flowing in the engine, the ECU see's this as "X" air and will accordingly give the engine "Y" amount of fuel. If your car is running rich (too much fuel for the amount of air), then using the SAFC you can take "a" amount of the signal signal away. This will make the ECU see "X-a" amount of air (less) so will add less fuel accordingly (Y-b). This will then lean out the engine as "X" air is still going in, but you now only have "Y-b" of fuel.

This is useful in improving combustion levels. By improving combustion you can improve both power and economy. However be aware the change is only slight with regards to power. To get major increase in power, you should increase the boost via the boost controller. If you then adjust the air/fuel mix with an SAFC, you will get increased power with better combustion providing a better overall package ;)

Hope that all makes sense.

G

Unregistered
thats an excellent explanation....
so prob will invest in a boostie and SAFC and get them installed and tuned at the same time. cheers heaps

Top Bottom