Apexi SAFC

Stuii

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Stuart Lowe
Drive
Mint ass Legnum!
does anyone know a good place in north east melbourne to get a car retuned? it's got an avcr and safc2

seems to be running massively rich and I now have an ECL :'(

naughtika

OzVR4 Stalker
First Name
Christian
Drive
'96 Galant VR4, '17 MB A180, '25 Macan GTS
just wondering to those who's got SAFC II's

would it benefit if I add a set of the adjustable cam pulley?

reason I ask, when I had my safc tuned at Mercury Motorsport they informed me that they couldn't really tune it above 3000rpm since the timing was advancing too much. They had to add more fuel to avoid it, also turned down the boost and left it at 158kw@10psi..

G

Unregistered
it's tuning above 3000 that you need and i haven't heard of this problem before

naughtika

OzVR4 Stalker
First Name
Christian
Drive
dunno, but that's what happened to my car when Mercury Motorsport tuned it.. it was right after changing the timing belt and stuff..

Riley

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Riley
Drive
96 Legnum vr4
just wondering to those who's got SAFC II's

would it benefit if I add a set of the adjustable cam pulley?

reason I ask, when I had my safc tuned at Mercury Motorsport they informed me that they couldn't really tune it above 3000rpm since the timing was advancing too much. They had to add more fuel to avoid it, also turned down the boost and left it at 158kw@10psi..

i got my previous car dynoed there and i didnt really have much luck......the AFR reading was all over the place and they said they couldnt do anything about it because my car had a dual muffler setup and that was probably mucking it up

the whole reason i wanted the car dynoed was because i wanted a good AFR reading!

G

Unregistered
I think you need to try a different tuner Christian as there are plenty people running other setups including me where the SAFC can sort out the afr's

Rasi

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Mike
Drive
2001 Nissan Elgrand - Previously the "best" factory optioned 2000 Legnum (manual, suade recaros)hehe
There are some absolutely shite tuners out there... find my rides thread and have a read of one to avoid...

happymatch

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
jono
Drive
Maza Astina 323, Merc C Kompressor
dumb quesition here for someone who have installed it and tuned it.
1. For economic set-up, what was the set-up? i mean, at overall RPM ranges did you guys increased or deccreased the fuel level. (does it make sense?)

2. If decreasing the fuel, how much of % would you go maximum to avoid the engine damage? (i mean be safe?)

godzilla

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Trevor
Drive
1/19 2002 FL Legnum Type 'S' Manual in Black with Suede Recaro's!
It will be hard to answer that Jono, as all cars a different, with different levels of mods etc. With mine, at idle, i have a correction of +3% as the tuner said it was lean. The most that i have seen mine correct is -5% through around the 4-5k mark under full load.

naughtika

OzVR4 Stalker
First Name
Christian
Drive
Jono, I suggest you get proper readings of your afr and timing first before you decide to play with the fuel settings

mine was setup with economy in mind, ranging from 1000rpm to about 4000rpm they have decreased the fuel but after 4000rpm they have added fuel apparently the timing was advancing too much and try to avoid it..

frozen

1 AYC Bar
Lifetime Member
First Name
Josh
Drive
1990 Mitsubishi GTO
Formerly: 1996 Galant VR-4
and mine was different again, no where had added fuel, fuel was taken out from about 3000rpm onwards, with something like -13% around 5000rpm off memory.

OVR444

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Brett
Drive
2004 Mirage
Reviving an old thread!

Can anyone recommend a QLD/Brisbane tuner? I have heard good things about APC ... as in members have had their cars tuned there previously. However I used to use Bob Romano; however they certainly know how to charge. Also; anyone have a idea on what I would be looking at (estimate) to get a SAFC tuned. keeping in mind I will install it; so its basically rock up and tune?

godzilla

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Trevor
Drive
I paid for one hour dyno tuning at P.I.T.S on the Gold Coast when i had mine done, 18 or so months ago and it cost me $275. The thing that is costly is using 4WD dyno's. The cost anywhere up to double per hour to that of 2WD.

Ask around here, to all the QLD members, who has and is willing to lend you a wideband O2 sensor, and EVOscan, that way you can tune it yourself on the road. They are really user friendly.

naughtika

OzVR4 Stalker
First Name
Christian
Drive
i've got evoscan, but then again I don't have the wideband o2 sensor..

I'd try APC for the SAFC.. Josh had good power output when he had his car tuned there..

VOLK

Stabbin' technique!
First Name
Joey T
Drive
13 RA Lancer Hackzilla
Finally going to be able to wire in the SAFC2 I got from Godzilla (Thanks Trev!) and get some tuning done this weekend. Friend of mine has an LM-1 wideband which will take all the guesswork out. If I unscrew the factory O2 sensor, will it just mess with idle and closed loop functions? Would I be better off getting another bung welded in to run the wideband? Halp?!

godzilla

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Trevor
Drive
AFAIK, the O2 sensor controls closed loop so if you remove it, it may stuff those 14.5 readings up.

Can you not just clamp it in the tail pipe? That is where Merlin shoved his O2 sensor when he tuned our cars.

VOLK

Stabbin' technique!
First Name
Joey T
Drive
13 RA Lancer Hackzilla
Yeah I was thinking clipping onto the muffler tip would be okay too, but a few years back a good friend of mine told me it was too far downstream and post-cat readings aren't optimal if your catalytic converter is functioning as it should. The factory spot is best for accuracy as pre and post cat give different lambda values. In fact, some cars will throw a CEL or store a code in ecu diagnostic memory if they see the same reading before and after the cat. Apparently this indicates a non functioning catalyst. If you feel like some light reading on the topic (exciting stuff!) check these:

http://www.import-car.com/Article/7..._feature__diagnosing_p0420_or_p0430_dtcs.aspx
http://www.motec.com.au/forum/viewtopic.php?f=20&t=548

AKKO

2 AYC Bars
Lifetime Member
First Name
Chris
Drive
1998 Galant VR4 Type-V (Facelift)
Got the Galant back from the mechanic earlier in the week, fortunately the Neo has a newer software version without the karman bug.

afc_ver.jpg

Details of the Karman bug are explained in more detail here: http://www.3si.org/forum/f1/apex-af...mming-bug-karman-function-doesnt-work-419786/

Looking forward to the tuning to follow, what's the average kW gains post install and tune that others have seen (baring in mind other work done of course)?

The stand for my AFC also arrived, eBay link - http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=110484786549&ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT

Top Bottom