Brembo Brake Caliper Upgrade

Dr_Josh001

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Josh
Drive
96 Galant VR-4 Auto
Cheers Jarrad.

So these hub carriers need abs sensors in them too don't they? If they don't have them is it hard to use the PFL sensors in the FL hub carriers?

Thanks.:)

bogan bob

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Dion
Drive
'15 Amarok
You can use the PFL ABS sensors but you need to hack them up and extend them, thats what the guy on cvr4 did in his write up, but its just less stuffing around to use FL ones

VR-04-TT

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Paul
Drive
1999 Legnum Type S
Important note for those with prefacelifts.

We went to do the caliper upgrade with welding on a new bracket as I've mentioned before and it turns out we can't do it as the knuckles are cast iron and not forged as we thought they were. Hence you can't weld to them (well there is a very expensive way of doing it but they will by no means be stable or safe for that application).

So it looks like the only way to do the brembo upgrade on a PFL is to get the facelift hubs and hub carriers/knuckes. There is no other way unfortunately...I've explored every possibility.

The other thing to note is that the evo hub is slightly larger than the PFL hub, the FL hubs must be slightly bigger (about 1.5-2mm) because I've not heard of anyone complaining about vibration issues which is what you'd get with that size difference.

So yeah interesting stuff. I do, however, have a super cool/awesome intake pipe now. Pics soon! :D

J-B

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Jarrad
Drive
EVO VII GSR
The other thing to note is that the evo hub is slightly larger than the Series 1 hub, the FL hubs must be slightly bigger (about 1.5-2mm) because I've not heard of anyone complaining about vibration issues which is what you'd get with that size difference.

So does that mean that i HAVE to use the facelift hubs i have? because they dont look the best.

Can anyone confirm if the PFL and FL hubs are different?

G

Unregistered
So does that mean that i HAVE to use the facelift hubs i have? because they dont look the best.

Can anyone confirm if the Series 1 and FL hubs are different?

The hubs are the same .The knuckles are different

VR-04-TT

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Paul
Drive
1999 Legnum Type S
The hubs are the same .The knuckles are different

When we put the Evo rotors on, we found there was about a 1.5mm-2mm difference in size (rotor housing for the hub was bigger). We then weren't sure if the FL hubs may be a bit bigger because if they're not then you'd get some bad vibration issues as the disc would have play in it.

Unless it's a manufacturing error with these particular discs? :confused:

G

Unregistered
I would ask the CVR4 guys who have fitted evo discs to see if they found a similar problem .Never heard it mentioned before though

G

Unregistered
doesnt matter coz the hole in the center of the evo disk, matches the vr4 hub-centric ring,

if these didnt match there would be vibrations problems.
but they do so no problems.

im using standard evo disks, and have on both pre and post facelifts, with no fitment issues.

VR-04-TT

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Paul
Drive
1999 Legnum Type S
doesnt matter coz the hole in the center of the evo disk, matches the vr4 hub-centric ring,

if these didnt match there would be vibrations problems.
but they do so no problems.

im using standard evo disks, and have on both pre and post facelifts, with no fitment issues.

Must be these discs then (RDA slotted to suit an E8), as what you described is exactly where the issue is.

Cheers Gly

G

Unregistered
stange, i thought all evo disks are the same dimentions 5-9,

i have a set of e7 disks on the front, and a set of e9 disks for the rear,

and im using evo 5 brembo calipers,
with gen brembo pads on the front, and endless rear pads,

(bit of a pick an mix there, lol... bargain hunter :))

VR-04-TT

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Paul
Drive
1999 Legnum Type S
lol they're all the same at the end of the day ;)

Yeah looks like I just have one of those factory lemons...No biggie, it can be fixed by machining it out a little bigger and then making a piece to fit inside it to bring it back down to the right size. Just more pains in the butt! lol

bradc

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Brad
Drive
Facelift Manual 400hp VR-4 Legnum
I've seen DBA discs on evo's and they fit fine, thats what I should have in a couple of weeks hopefully.

G

Unregistered
you said that a month ago??!
is this gonna be like when you where having in tuned by gary? :p

Scottie

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Scott
Drive
1999 Type S Legnum
Well my Brembos finally arrived and my wheels should be here in a week or so.

I am gonna get a brake guy to fit them because i don't have the time/space. What i would like to do it summarise all that needs to be done so i can just tell him.

Can we make a checklist or something similar as a sticky in this thread?

I have Front and Rear callipers with lines and pads and Front discs only (will get back ones later) I would prefer to get new lines but would like to use the old ones and save some dosh. So far as i can tell, the fronts will be fine and just a bolt on job, but the backs need to have the disc shield trimmed just a bit?

BTW, car is a facelift...

Top Bottom